Peripherals forum

General discussion

HELP!!!!!!! Accessing Maxtor External Hard Drive.

by Suzanne Knight / July 11, 2004 1:06 AM PDT

PC: Dell Dimension 4400
External Hard drive: Maxtor One touch 250

Bought in March, worked fine until two weeks ago. I turned off my computer for the night, turned it on in the morning and received these messages:

**Not accessible, the parameter is incorrect**
**The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.**

The drive icon DOES show, the drivers ,etc are all there and windows tells me they are operating fine.

I have already spoken with Maxtor and they were absolutely of no help...other than wanting to reformat the hard drive ... which is out of the question. (I have 5 years of work stored in that HD, Personal, legal and business) and MUST find a way to retrieve it. (will not make personal comments about their support or policies.) grrrrrrrr.

I have spoken to Teckie types and tried several suggestions ... none helped so far.

PLEASE ... I'm desperate, and would appreciate any expertise. AND, if someone knows of an inexpensive recovery program. The data is all there, it was not deleted. I simply can not unlock the door.

Anxious in NY,
Suzanne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!!!!!!! Accessing Maxtor External Hard Drive.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!!!!!!! Accessing Maxtor External Hard Drive.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HELP!!!!!!! Accessing Maxtor External Hard Drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

Let's start with the brutal truth and then move forward? OK? "Hard disks are temporary storage."

It's a maxim that has yet to be disproven, but let's move on.

If I needed to access this drive and it was vital, then you go to these places and pay...

1. http://www.drivesavers.com/
2. http://www.ontrack.com/

If not, you have placed a price on the data and it's not worth that much to you.

----> OK, you want free?

Then you remove the hard disk from the casing and place it in a PC that has large disk support. From there I would boot up a KNOPPIX CD and see if I can browse the hard disk that I put on an IDE channel. If the files are there, then they are moved to CDR with K3b. Read all about it at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

---> Let me be clear!

It's unlikely that repair will occur while the hard disk is in the drive enclosure. All tools I know of will not do well on USB drives.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
What I'm not hearing
by John46947 / March 7, 2005 2:25 AM PST

I was sitting here reading the replies to this thread and there are many very good points and suggestions but the one thing I'm not seeing is talk of possible physical damage. Many times when a drive reports errors it is because the drives read head has actually contacted the surface of the platens. When this happens it damages the data in that area. Windows can work around this bad area on the drive but the underlying cause is still there. Whatever caused the drive to malfunction is still there and still waiting to happen again. It has been my experience that allowing windows to "repair" the drive only buys you time before it invariably happens again. I usually just shell out the bucks and buy a replacement before it does.

Collapse -
Oops
by John46947 / March 7, 2005 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: What I'm not hearing

I accidently replied to the wrong post. I meant to reply to the first post in this thread so that my post would appear at the bottom of the list. Now my comments look out of order. Sorry for the confussion.

Collapse -
knoppix
by kasper70 / November 11, 2005 4:21 PM PST

I'm trying to fix this your way. I've downloaded the knoppix cd and burned it onto a disk. In setup, placed CD to boot before ide. It did not boot. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I burned it incorrectly. What program would you suggest using to burn the CD?

Collapse -
I have had no luck with any of these options.
by BRADGSMIT / February 16, 2006 7:42 AM PST

I have a dell inspiron 9100 with windows XP pro. I turned off my computer last night and turned it on this morning and my maxtor one touch II hard drive was gone. I appears to be opperating fine ie. lights are on and is making normal humming nois, but I cannot access it. I have tried activating the partition as has been suggested but there is no drive there, also I have tried several file recovery programs which cannot find the drive. I have tried checkdisk and it cannot access the drive. Anyone have anymore ideas short of voiding the warranty and seeing if I can put it in my desktop?

Collapse -
Ask yourself this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2006 7:50 AM PST

Is the data worth it?

Pulling the drive is the best hope. If the warranty is worth more than the data...

Bob

Collapse -
new maxtor onetouch II 300gb hanging
by CUNIND / March 20, 2006 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Ask yourself this.

sorry for re-posting... i'm not sure how this forum works so i'm trying to post to the most recent relevant posting i see....

-----------

the chkdsk e: /f didn't work for me - when i typed in that command in dos, it said 'can't open volume for direct access' or (when the the drive is in) it just hangs...forever!

basically, my brand new maxtor onetouch II 300gb brand new drive worked fine for about an hour... i began transferring tons of files over from another external drive to the maxtor drive, but then some data error occurred (it couldn't transfer a folder). every since then, i can't even see the maxtor drive on 'my computer'... if i simply have the drive turned on while running my computer... programs freeze up. when i turn the drive off, everything returns to normal. please help!! thanks!!!

Collapse -
External HD not being seen.
by dsb1983 / November 30, 2006 8:31 AM PST

My external is a Western Digital but I had the same problem after about two weeks. My problem was in the USB Hub plus a quirk of my Dell software.

First, connect the HD to a different computer, preferably a desktop, and see if it can be read there.

Second, make sure your USB Hub has its own power supply. If not, it may have damaged the root hub. Internal root hubs on laptops cannot handle the power requirements of ext HDs.

Third, I use a Dell Inspiron 600M. It will not boot if either the external HD or the HP AIO Printer are turned on. I have to turn these peripherals on after booting.

I hope this helped.

dsb1983

Collapse -
maxtor external drive cannot be accessed
by aakirtland / August 7, 2007 10:41 PM PDT

I accidentally forgot to unplug the USB connecting my Maxtor external hard drive to my computer while I was reformatting the hard drive of my Dell 83000. Some wonderful technician at Dell told me about a File Recovery program that was able to read the device even though there is no drive for it listed under "My Computer" so I was able to retrieve the files.

However, I would still like to use the hard drive if possible--its brand new! Any suggestions? I know know that the Maxtor had created a partition on my C: drive when it was first connected and that partition got wiped out during reformatting. When I plug in the Maxtor now to my newly formatted Dell, the Device Manager knows its there, but I still cannot access the drive. Again, the device does not show up in "My Computer." Any suggestions?

Collapse -
maxtor external drive
by jenn_mts / September 25, 2007 2:17 AM PDT

Help... I am having the same problem. A friend of mine was reloading his laptop and had my external drive plugged into it. Now it looks as if all of my data on my external drive is gone. Is there anyway to get it back? When I click on the f: drive the computer sees it but there is nothing there. It says it needs to be formatted, but if I format I will lose all the data. That leads me to believe the data is still there somewhere...

Collapse -
MAxtor External Drive
by RHPAMD / September 25, 2007 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: maxtor external drive

My similar problem was resolved by removing the Maxtor drive from its external case and hooking it up as an internal IDE drive. After trying it on three computers where it had formerly functioned. My computer could not see it at all however. The Maxtor Locked Drives icon was present on all three.
If there is no alternative to reformatting the drive, there is nothing to be lost by hooking it up internally. The only issue would be whether the drive is still in warranty and Maxtor will replace it but this guarantees loss of data 100% of the time.

Collapse -
maxtor external drive
by magnes79 / November 4, 2008 5:55 PM PST

I have exactlly the same problem. I've formated my internal HDD and reinstalled system moving all my data to external hdd, and now my maxtor external drive just disappeared from "my computer". When I use software like R Studio or Active Partition recovery, it shows that the whole drive has bad sectors. This is very strange, Drive is 3 weeks old and it was working after winxp reinstallation for one day, and than suddenly "vanished". Obviously maxtor warranty support is useless.

you said: "Some wonderful technician at Dell told me about a File Recovery program that was able to read the device even though there is no drive for it listed under "My Computer" "

What is this software?

Collapse -
Re: drive unreadable.
by Kees Bakker / November 4, 2008 6:06 PM PST

A lesson learned: if you erase the original and have only one backup, that backup is the only copy you have. So essentially you've got no backup at that moment.

If the drive failed indeed, your warranty will give you the right to receive a new empty one for free. That's nice, anyway.

Things to try:
- See what Linux thinks of the drive (some LiveCD)
- GETDATABACK or ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY (both have free trials)
- Professional data recovery services (like ontrack.com or drivesavers.com). Have your creditcard ready!

Kees

Collapse -
What worked for me
by cnetspammers / April 25, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive unreadable.

Much thanks for mentioning getdataback!
I have a usb external disk that wasnt appearing in my computer.
It was appearing in system management and i did populate it.
With Getdataback and Runtime Disk Explorer for NTFS (which is needed to view all disks in getdataback program) I was able to recover data in the disk. GL

Collapse -
maxtor one touch III mini
by Jamiesdmf / December 6, 2008 10:39 PM PST

Hi magnes79,

I also have a similar problem. Did you find out what program the Dell tech recommended? My drive was 2 weeks old and only used 5 times before it decided to give me trouble, and that was near 2 years ago. I have a good data recovery program, however what I need is a way for windows to recognize that the drive is there.

Collapse -
Maxtor Casing Defect
by mrdejean / December 7, 2008 12:25 AM PST

I found that the casing board was defective and not the Drive. For some reason it did not transmit enough power for the drive to spin. I took the casing apart and installed the Hard Drive into my PC as an internal HD. Some have just replaced the casing. There's a power issue with the maxtor casings.

To test it, when you take it apart, most PCs have an extra dock for a second HD and all the connections should be in there as well. That way you don't spend money on a casing before knowing that it's not the issue with yours. It's a pretty simple process.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: Software that WILL read your device...
by sojournerbill / December 11, 2008 1:06 AM PST

If you can get your hands on a full copy of 'GetDataBack' software, you will be able to read your device easily...and not only that, but you'll be able to copy your files to your pc or another external drive....Bill

Collapse -
Re: Software that WILL read your device...
by sparkey826 / March 17, 2009 9:07 AM PDT

Thank You Bill,
GetDataBack worked like a charm and I didn't even have to use a hammer.

Collapse -
Accessing Hard Drive
by SysEngrNZ / January 6, 2009 1:02 PM PST

If your computer recognises that a USB device has been plugged into your computer, but the hard drive isn't visually seen in My Computer, there is a possibility that your Operating System has deinitialized your Hard Drive. To see if the computer has recognised it,

Go to:
Device manager > Disk Drives. If the Hard Drive is recognised, it'll appear here.

Right Click the drive > Properties > Volumes

Click Populate

Check the following :

Partition Style : Master Boot Record

If the status is offline, theres a good chance you can fix it by going to : My Computer > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

In the Navigation Pane, under storage, click disk management

Find the drive that doesn't appear, it should appear here if it shows up in device manager. Right click the "left hand" segment of the drive you wish to initialise and click "Initialise". You should now be able to see the hard drive in My Computer and access your old files.

#. If you click populate and it fails to give you any information, theirs a 99.9% chance that the hard drive is stuffed.

#. A hard drive could de-initialise itself for numerous reasons, alot of them due to a fault on the USB connection to your PC. It could be due to:

- Power surge on the USB port, which closes down the External unexpectantly.

- Can be caused by un-plugging the external without using "The safety removal tool".

- There are alot of Externals out their that are guareenteed to become faulty within 12 - 24 months due to manufacturing flaws.

- They can de-initialise if theirs a failure in copying files i.e...Unexpected power cut, USB disconnected, or the cancellation of file transfers by the user. (Alot of hard drives cancel data transfers but have problems returning all data back to the source it originated from).

As was mentioned in an above post, They are "Temporary Storage Devices". They were not designed to store years and years of information on. That is why CD/DVD's are one of the most reliable ways to back up information.

On a personal note : I store information on external hard drives, but I make ISO images and put them on CD/DVD's. I then label and store them in a filing cabinet. This is the most reliable method to back up information and everyone should practice it.

Regards,

Andrew Hardy
Systems Engineer
Andy-SysEngr@hotmail.com

Collapse -
Solution for I/O device error
by moonalightboy / July 4, 2010 11:29 PM PDT

C:\Documents and Settings\Wint>chkdsk F: /f
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is 3215-4A9D
Correcting error in directory \
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Y
Insufficient disk space to recover lost data.
33551872 KB in 14201 recovered files.
Windows found problems with the file system that could not be c
312,492,320 KB total disk space.
320 KB in 1 folders.
21,523,744 KB in 10,000 files.
32 KB in bad sectors.
278,940,064 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
9,765,385 total allocation units on disk.
8,716,877 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Wint>F:

F:\>dir
Volume in drive F has no label.

Directory of F:\

File Not Found

File Not Found

F:\>chkdsk
Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter.
12028128 KB in 4201 recoverable files.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
320 KB in 1 hidden files.
21,523,744 KB in 10,000 files.
32 KB in bad sectors.
278,939,904 KB are available.

8,716,872 allocation units available on disk.

F:\>chkdsk F: /f
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now i
12028128 KB in 4201 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
320 KB in 1 hidden files.
160 KB in 1 folders.
33,551,872 KB in 14,201 files.
32 KB in bad sectors.

File Not Found

F:\>chkdsk F: /f
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now i
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
480 KB in 2 hidden files.
33,551,872 KB in 14,201 files.
32 KB in bad sectors.

Collapse -
A little history maybe?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 1:32 AM PDT

After I refreshed my coffee, I wondered if you accepted ANY driver updates from Microsoft. Some are known to cause issues with network cards and USB devices.

Fix? Use System Restore to when it worked.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: A little history maybe?
by Suzanne Knight / July 12, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

Thank you for your candor. I'd thought about the Restore angle. Before running for Tech help I tried installing the ExternalHD on another machine, and received the same errors. I also tried accessing it through a Win 98 OS, but that wouldn't even recognize the HD presence.

As for the value I place on the stored files ... some are irreplaceable... but unfortunately my wallet isn't bottomless. I have contacted the two companies you suggested and await a reply ... but I fear I'm looking at an expensive Paper weight now. It's like losing the keys to a windowless house... (hoped someone might have a skeleton key)

Thanks again for your time and reply.
Suzanne

Collapse -
This fixed the problem for me (at no cost!)
by apicton / July 20, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

Hi Suzanne,
I found your post yesterday while searching for an answer to nearly the same problem.
It was an internal PC drive running Win 2000 on an NTFS formatted Maxtor hard drive.
I had a user who was working on her PC and it suddenly got bogged down really slow. She restarted and got a blue screen error saying unaccessible boot device. I pulled the drive and put it in an external USB drive enclosure. When I plugged it into my PC, I could see the drive letter, but could not access it, with the same error messages as you described. I'm assuming that the drive is using the NTFS file system (as mine was), which would explain why Win 98 can't see it.
I took the crashed drive and plugged it in as a secondary (slave) drive in another Windows 2000 PC running NTFS, and then started the computer. On boot-up, it detected the new drive and said it found problems and recommended I let it scan for inconsistencies. I let it continue before I left for home and it was fixing some bad clusters when I left. When I came in this morning, my computer had finished booting and I could access the data on the new drive.
I quickly copied anything important off of that drive, (just in case...) and then put the drive back into the user's computer. Crossed my fingers, and it started up without a problem.

Judging by my experience and all of the forum discussions I found, It seems like the problem is a weakness in Maxtor's compatibility with NTFS. Letting Win 2000 run disk checking seemed to repair it in my case.

If this does work for you, and I really hope it does, I would highly recommend adding a RAID card and a mirrored hard drive to make sure you don't lose important data in case of future hard drive failure. This can be done for about $150 and is well worth the investment.

feel free to contact me if you wish.
apicton@apnetworking.com
www.apnetworking.com

Collapse -
It's a good fix too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2004 1:29 AM PDT

While I will debate if RAID will save the day since I see the error to be faithfully duplicated on both drives and that doesn't help.

There is a BUG, that is not just with Maxtor, but with external USB drives in general that you can't run CHKDSK on them. There is some hint that this is addressed in SP2, but for now, removing the drive and accessing it directly is a good course of action if one isn't going to send it to a data recovery house.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's a good fix too.
by apicton / July 20, 2004 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a good fix too.

You are probably correct about RAID duplicating the error in this case, especially if the problem was the type that would have been replicated.
(If the file system on one drive gets a bug in it, not positive if that would replicate...?)

In any case, the data at risk here seemed to be very valuable, and RAID has saved me at least a couple of times in the past. Just an extra precaution.

thanks for your input!
Andy

Collapse -
Re: It's a good fix too.
by davbet / July 31, 2004 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a good fix too.

Hi;
Mind if I jump in with a question?
In reading this thread I realize I am face to face with this situation in it's very early stage. I have decided to put in an external drive and am waiting for the shell to arrive now. I have a low usage 2yr old Maxtor 60GB HDD drive formatted NTFS to put in it.

Question: Would I be well advised to reformat it to FAT32 before I install it? Would this save some problems down the road? I use XP home edition.

Thanks,

David
davbet@lycos.com

Collapse -
FAT32 on external when you can do NTFS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2004 5:44 AM PDT

Read back just a bit and you learn that XP can't CHKDSK that external drive. FAT32 would collect errors that you could not fix unless you pull it out and onto the IDE connection. At least with NTFS, it's error resistant.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: FAT32 on external when you can do NTFS?
by davbet / July 31, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

I didn't know NTFS was more error resistant than Fat32. I thought the benefit of NTFS was file handling efficiency. I had just re-formatted this drive to NTFS from Fat32 and the space gain was insignificant. So I 'll use it with NTFS.

Thanks Bob, I'm new at this forum, but I'm finding out you're a big help around here.

David

Collapse -
Maxtor External Drive Locked and Disconnected
by cbade / January 24, 2005 3:06 AM PST

Is this the same issue? I had the One-Touch working fine then one day it is lised as Disconnected in the Maxtor Express Drive SW. I looked at My Computer and is shows the drive but that it is locked. What exactly is the fix?

Collapse -
Same Problem with Locked Drive
by biz123 / January 27, 2005 8:33 AM PST

I've got the same problem with a locked drive. I don't know how it happened. I've searched around the web for some information on this with a Maxtor OneTouch II, but haven't found any discussion of the problem, or any solutions. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be all ears! Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.