How To

Question

HELP

by reneeinmay / September 22, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

I have AVG free edition and Malwarebytes on my Windows Vista PC
Can I install the 3 MUST HAVE -BIG PROTECTION PROGRAMS you have given an article on (free firewall, spyprotector, etc) on my PC with these I already use?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can only have one antivirus running at a time
by wpgwpg / September 22, 2013 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP

If you try to run more than one antivirus at a time, each will think the other is a virus with undesirable results. But you can have an antivirus coexist with multiple malware checkers like MalwalwareBytes, Ad-Aware, and Spybot. Firewalls can coexist with all the above, in fact your router is a firewall and Windows has a built in firewall.

Collapse -
HELP.. can only have one
by reneeinmay / September 23, 2013 12:49 AM PDT

Thank you so much, I really didn't know what to do, but the article sounded really impressive about the
BIG THREE but I didn't want to mes up my pc. thank you, thank you, thank you for being there!

Collapse -
Answer
Whatever you decide on, I'd suggest not have
by Steven Haninger / September 22, 2013 6:59 PM PDT

all of them active at once. Run the malware checkers at some interval of your choice. A good AV program is something you want active in the background but you don't want to bog your system down with too many of these programs. As well, your best practice is to watch where you step so the bottom of your shoes don't get messy.

Collapse -
Answer
It sure would help to know...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 23, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

Renee..

It sure would help to know which article it was that impressed you. Your post caught my eye, because there's a rogue anti-spyware, which goes by the name of SpyProtector.

Chances are they're not the same SpyProtector, but one can never be too careful. No matter which site published the article. I can point you in the direction of many articles which "sound" impressive, when in fact, the information provided is not to be trusted.

If we knew what these BIG THREE were, it would better help us.. help you.
Carol

Collapse -
It sure would help to know...
by reneeinmay / September 23, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

Hi Carol: The article was reprinted on C/Net help
CNET Download The Download Blog Killer Download: The Big Three free security applications
"Part of using the most used operating system is being the target of the most threats. I've rounded up what I consider to be the Big Three in the security category. Frankly, if you don't have a program for all three, you're not safe."
by Jason Parker
February 13, 2008 5:09 PM PST (1) Comodo Firewall Pro , the alternative being ZoneAlarm Firewall is another solid firewall. (2) Spyware Terminator or Ad-Aware 2007, (3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

I have AVG free edition, Malwarebytes and although there is a firewall with Windows Defender (I believe)I do not
have it on. I think there is one in this Vista model though. So my dilemma was whether to add or could I add Zone Alarm and Ad-Aware to what I have! hope this clears up what you need to help me.

My system info:Windows Vista Business Service Pack 2 (build 6002)Processor 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache Dell Inc. Vostro 200

Renee

Collapse -
Re: big three
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 23, 2013 6:52 PM PDT

Did you notice this article dates from February 2008? That's more than 5 years old. I'd consider it history. not something to rely on in the fall of 2013.

I'm sure Carol will offer more specific advise.

Kees

Collapse -
BIG THREE DATE
by reneeinmay / September 24, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: big three

Hi Kees" Yes I did notice the date, but it was all I could find at the time. Thank you for your interest, Renee

Collapse -
As Kees noticed in your post..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 2:52 AM PDT

Renee..

As Kees noticed in your post, the article written at the Download blog ( Killer Download: The Big Three free security applications ) was created over 5 years ago.

The author's choices of "The Big Three" categories remain timely. But I do question whether his choices of software are as timely.

Wpgwpg has already addressed some of your concerns. As noted, Windows has a built-in firewall. I see no reason not to use it. You indicated you thought Windows Defender included a firewall, despite the fact you had it turned off. For clarification sake, it does not include a firewall.

You asked about Ad-Aware. I'm unable to offer an opinion, as I haven't used it in many years. If you do decide to go with it, keep in mind it now includes A/V protection, in addition to A/S protection. It may cause a conflict. Have a look at the Lavasoft Support Forums. You may get some answers there.

Whichever you eventually choose, it's still going to be up to you. What may work well for someone else, may not be suitable for you and your system. You might want to consider experimenting with a few.

Lastly. And most importantly, in my opinion. No matter how much security software is in place, you remain your systems' first line of defense. Commonsense and safe computing habits are essential.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
AS YOU NOTED
by reneeinmay / September 24, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

Thank you so much Carol. since i already use Mozilla, first and foremost and AVG free along with Malwarebyes, I just didn't know if I should add anything else. I ran into trouble with Spybot disabling a lot of my Firefox and that d__n chrome throwing a lot of trash and add-ons I did not ask for... so that is what sent me
checking to see if I needed anything else.

Funny, I used Spybot from 2003 until 2001 and no problem. While working for a company from home the IT
pro told me to install Malwarebytes instead of Ad Aware and remove Spybot. worked fine,until now when as I stated I installed it and had one big mess.
\\Thank you so much for caring and helping as I am so dumb about this industry. Regards, Renee

Collapse -
Firefox and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: AS YOU NOTED

I wouldn't consider you 'dumb about the industry', if you found your way to using Firefox and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I applaud your decision making! Don't sell yourself short.

I use Firefox (almost) exclusively. Internet Explorer is only used to install the Microsoft Updates. If you're not using Adblock Plus with Firefox, you might want to give it a try. It's well worth the price you (DON'T) pay. Happy

Keep up the good work, Renee.
Carol

Collapse -
ANTI MAILWARE
by reneeinmay / September 25, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

Gee Carol: Those are awfully nice words, thank you. I will go up and install Adblock Plus,'cause you said so! Again, thank you for taking the time to help me. Renee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.