Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

by sekivaki / September 26, 2006 9:18 PM PDT

I have a problem with exe. extension. During the repairing of registry I deleted the exe. extensions. Now I can not run anything. But Internet explorer is ok. Please help me!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help, the subject title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2006 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Help.

First let me comment that if we can't take a moment to craft a meaningful subject title... lists a fix for your .EXE issue.

Imagine a forum with just posts titled "Help".

Collapse -
by sekivaki / September 26, 2006 9:56 PM PDT

I tried to run the above link. I couldnt open.

Collapse -
by billty99 / September 26, 2006 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Help

It works fine with me. You could:

-=1=- Write an e-mail, where I could send you the file, needed to fix you .EXEs

-=2=- You could google "exe file association fix" or something like that.

-=3=- Add to the registry the entries at the bottom:

The first option is if you're lazy like me, and also trustful (again like me:) and think, that your e-mail won't get mass spammed. The second option is the safest (if you don't get a virus from some sh*tty website) but it could take a while. The third one is OK, if you know how to use the registry. If you're not absolutely sure - use one of the first two methods.

"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

@="\"%1\" %*"

@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]

Collapse -
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: link

Please send me a file to ( Also instructions how to fix. I have to quckly repair my work computer. I believe you.

Collapse -
"Work computer"???
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2006 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Send

Time to call the IT staffer.

Sorry, I don't do step by step for one line command line work. (in reference to regedit use of the .REG file)

Please call the IT staff, reload the OS or whatever it takes. You can't supply error messages so I can't give you a great answer. Now that we know it's for work, we let our IT staff fix it.

Collapse -
You shouldn't be able to open it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2006 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Help

The top of the page at the link tells you how to fix the .EXE issue.

Since you didn't follow the instructions I suggest you either reload the OS or have someone help you with the steps required.

Collapse -
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 9:20 AM PDT

Thank you Bob for your advice. I followed the instruction and its still impossible to run regedit.exe. Any other ways?

Collapse -
Tell me what steps you did? And...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2006 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

There are other reasons why regedit won't run. For instance it can be damaged, missing, other. Don't spare the details since for now all I can see is what you've told.

Do other .exe programs work? If so we need to look at other problem areas.

Collapse -
At first
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 10:52 AM PDT

I tried to open regedit by start/run. It was not possible. Then I tried to run the link that you recommended to me. Task Manager/New then typed regedit.exe.
Actually I working now in Japan. My japanese is not good and I cant fully understand the the system response.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2006 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: At first

Without the error messages I'm at a disadvantage. While I've cured this everytime with that site's help it appears this is not the same issue.

Without the details I'd be shooting blindly such as guessing it's a permission setting. Or the usual spyware damage.

Looking like an OS reload is in the cards.

Collapse -
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

I tried to open regedit from DOS and was possible. But I dont know what should I do.

Collapse -
Since the command line works...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2006 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Also

One can reload the .reg from that command line.

I don't teach command line skills however. That's for you to hit the books and google. All I do is note that regedit can load that .reg file. The skill you acquire in doing this is good stuff to know.

Collapse -
Regedit using dos... BRB
by billty99 / September 27, 2006 5:12 PM PDT

I have made very damaging things on Win98 with regedit and I was unable to use it for a few days (I hid all the icons on the desktop, denied start menu, denied C:\ D:\ etc., denied regedit changes, denied .exe files...). So I had to fix it before the win starts - in DOS mode. I'll check what the comands were... BRB

Collapse -
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 11:00 AM PDT

Internet explorer is working.

Collapse -
I still can not use my computer.
by sekivaki / September 27, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

I dont know enough about system. I need an instruction step by step.

Collapse -
Finaly I restored the exe. extension. But...
by sekivaki / October 1, 2006 10:07 AM PDT

I made a registry fix in DOS. But now I still have problems. I can not open the files with .doc, .xls, .jpg etc. What should I do?

Collapse -
Hint: Associate those with the application you want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2006 11:56 AM PDT

Asking Windows to Open With some application is basic Windows 101. Hint: hold the shift-key down, right click on the file, open with and associate as you see fit.

Also I did supply a link with most association fixes for you. Why not use those?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.