Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Heeeelp with startup on winxp

by Mad19Dog / April 13, 2013 8:23 PM PDT

Hello, I have Windows XP and one day for fun I tried to change WIN xp theme to Win7... I downloaded some some rar files, WindowBlinds and I changed a bit my computer theme to look like an win7 but I didn't like this because it makes my computer like a trash. I know that it's my problem but finally I changed theme for original winxp and everything was quite good just usually I used selective startup but right now I can't use it because if I use - my Internet is not working and windows theme changes to windows classic theme. I tried system restore and everything was great for this time but when I turned on my pc for the first time after system restore everything came back: normal startup which takes a long time to open any folder and something similar... I can't use selective startup... What I should to do that my pc come back for always look like after system restore?

Mad19Dog has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Heeeelp with startup on winxp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Heeeelp with startup on winxp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Mad19Dog

Collapse -
So the OS is damaged.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

Before you reload, did you try another user account?

Collapse -
by Mad19Dog / April 27, 2013 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: So the OS is damaged.

No, I think I didn't try another user account.
I am so sad if my OS is damaged.

Collapse -
Re: other user account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh..

That's easy to try, isn't it? Make another user in Control Panel and log in using that username. Any changes?

A repair install or re-install is more difficult. How difficult exactly depends on what disks you have for that.

Collapse -
to Kees
by Mad19Dog / April 27, 2013 7:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: other user account

I'm afraid that if I make another user my all documents and etc will delete, no?

Collapse -
No. Nothing will be deleted.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 7:59 PM PDT
In reply to: to Kees

All that happens is that there is a new user. And if you delete that after the experiment, only this new users files are deleted. But that are none.

Collapse -
New user
by Mad19Dog / April 27, 2013 8:45 PM PDT

Well, I right now I just made a new user, it looks great, because everything is quite clear, but I didn't see that something changed, for example: still need to wait some minutes while Internet Browser will opens.

Collapse -
So whatever is wrong with your system ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: New user

is not user dependent, but 'global'. Then you either accept it as it is, or fix it, or reload your OS. Your choice.

Collapse -
Well, yeah..
by Mad19Dog / April 27, 2013 9:15 PM PDT

I restarted my computer two times and right now my Internet Browser opens quite normal, I shouldn't wait more than 1 minutes, I guess that your information was useful for me. Happy However, I will go to computer centre and maybe the professionals will fix everything for real. Anndd... THANK YOU!

Collapse -
Do not Understand what you want to say
by amy_lewis / April 21, 2013 9:50 PM PDT

I think you should reinstall the operating system instead of system restore. Then half of your problems will be solved

Collapse -
by Mad19Dog / April 25, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

Oh, thanks, but how to do it?

Collapse -
For example
by Mad19Dog / April 25, 2013 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I helped information from other sites so I just copied my situation in other words,maybe this will be better:
first of all with my stupid head I wanted change Windows xp theme to win7, I watched in video how to do it, I downloaded some stuff (programs), rar files for it and I intalled, but I saw that made my pc slower, different and I wanted to do something for delete these win 7 themes. Okay... I deleted it, everything comes to back places... But actually no... Usually my startup was a selective startup, but when I click on selective startup my win xp original theme changes to windows classic theme and I can't change it to win xp original and one more thing when I click on selective startup my internet doesn't work. But when I come back on normal startup - everything come back: win xp original theme, net is working, just I don't like when I using right now normal startup need to wait maybe 5 minutes while opens folder e.g. google chrome and I hate it. When i turn on selective startup - folders opens more times faster.. Buuttt... Right now I using normal startup and I can't use my skype. I can't call to anyone and I can't accept to the calls and I don't hearing a call sounds. When I look into the settings I saw just microphone 'none', speakers 'none' and isn't any option available in the dropdown boxes just named 'None'. But I can listen music, watch video, my mic, speakers works on other programs, but on skype -no... what here could be in my win system? what i should to do if i wanna make my pc for well going? please help me if u have any ideas. >< i am dying

Collapse -
Re: XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: For example

I'd start over with a clean install back to factory conditions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.