Dell forum

Resolved Question

Headphones won't work

by piste1 / November 18, 2011 11:38 AM PST

I have some Plantronic headphones I got for my Dell Inspiron 560 desktop and can't seem to get audio out of any connection in the back of the computer. I do have speakers hooked up and they work fine. I know the headphones work as I plug them into my MP3 player and get signal. There are actually 6 in/out slots in back for audio as follows: rear L/R surround side L/R surround microphone front L/R line out (speakers are connected here) line in center/subwoofer I've tried the headphones in every output connector including the front l/r line out and I get nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have a hardware problem? What is the proper configuration if one wants to have both speakers and headphones connected to a computer or is that not possible? Thanks for any direction and/or suggestions.

piste1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Headphones won't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Headphones won't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by piste1

Collapse -
I had to install a speaker to headphone switch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: Headphones won't work
Collapse -
clarification please....
by piste1 / November 19, 2011 6:32 AM PST

Hmmm..thanks. Did you have the same problem in that you could not get the headphones to work using any of the outputs from the computer? I don't understand how a switch could fix that issue as it's just a switch and not really transforming a signal as far as I know. But if you had the same problem in that nothing worked until you got this's worth the $20 to me....but not if it doesn't fix my problem. Thanks for any clarification/confirmation you can provide.

Collapse -
by piste1 / November 19, 2011 6:44 AM PST

When I plug my headphones into the output jack into which I had the speakers set up and the headphones don't work but the speakers this switch somehow going to make the headphones work? Not saying you are wrong...just want to be clear. thx

Collapse -
Why I used that switch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: specifically...

I didn't want to tinker with the machine and see if I could fix it. I added the switch and am "done."

Collapse -
by piste1 / November 19, 2011 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Headphones won't work

Actually I figured out that sometimes when I have media playing through the speakers and unplug them and replace with the headset the headset doesn't pick up the signal..but if I restart the media...all seems to be well.

Only minor issue I have now is that the volume through the headset isn't all that high even when turned all the way up. Guess that's just a function of using the built in Dell sound capabilities vs. a separate sound card?

Collapse -
No volume issues here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2011 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Resolved

But then again I took the chicken method with the switch noted above. Good you found a way but your post sounds as if they (dell?) have not perfected this yet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.