TVs & Home Theaters forum

Headphones w/Netflix and TV screen

by oregoncountry / February 12, 2013 5:06 AM PST

When I watch Netflix through my big screen TV, my headphones will pick up the audio from the tv but I can't get the audio on for other people who are watching with me. In other words, I need all in the room to hear the TV without headphones, but so I can still hear through my headphones. This is only a problem when watching Netflix or Itunes etc.

Thank you in advance for any help,

PS I am on Charter cable
Wireless Internet
Sanyo TV with HDMI cable to pick up Netflix
(TV is 720p/1080p HDTV LCD)
Headphones are RCA WHPI4I's
Toshiba Laptop Satellite L775D-S7132, Win 7

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Headphones w/Netflix and TV screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Headphones w/Netflix and TV screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Netflix on laptop; output to HDTV via HDMI, yes?
by Pepe7 / February 12, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Is that how you are currently accessing Netflix?

Collapse -
Yes, apologies
by oregoncountry / February 12, 2013 6:19 AM PST

I was not alerted and I am subscribed to this thread. Again, yes, that is right. I have one, HDMI cord and it works great for Netflix. My problem is in the headphones when I play netflix and want the sound to come out of the tv as well as through the "phones"

Thank you for your reply!! Denise

All Answers

Collapse -
I've heard that complaint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 5:42 AM PST

I've only seen it once and the end was a discussion about 5.1 versus stereo and why it mattered for headphones.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 5:44 AM PST

There are longer discussions where we discussion having to wire up systems and more to accommodate such needs. In most systems you plug in the headphones and then the audio goes off (speakers go silent.)

Any decent sound/audio tech can fix this. It's a simple matter of wiring.

Collapse -
by oregoncountry / February 12, 2013 6:22 AM PST

I hope I run into sound/audio tech here on cnet;) that can help me fix it:) denise

Collapse -
I think I see the problem..
by oregoncountry / February 12, 2013 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Great!

I have my "Audio Out" HDMI cord plugged into cable box. There is not the same "in'ies" on my TV, just one, single orange Audio Out. So I will probably need a different cord to get it to do what I want.

Thank you all, maybe the post will help someone else on down the line, denise

Collapse -
I'm still slightly confused
by Pepe7 / February 12, 2013 11:13 AM PST

HDMI carries both audio and video. Your last comment above threw me for a loop. Would you mind reviewing how your equipment is currently connected? IF you could illustrate it something like the following it would be helpful.

Charter Cable box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sanyo HDTV

Laptop (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Sanyo HDTV

Instead of having someone modify the audio ouput jack of your HDTV, you could instead pick up a 4x1 HDMI switcher, that should permit audio via HDMI to your HDTV speakers, and simultaneously let you listen via headphones plugged into the 3.5 jack in back. See the product here:

My only advice is before buying, ask monoprice about the actual functionality of this particular 4x1 HDMI switcher. Sometimes they get things wrong within their huge stable of often quite similar looking products that in the real world, have subtle differences in features.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.