Desktops forum

General discussion

Headphone Jack Broke off !!!

by armorise / July 2, 2004 10:53 PM PDT

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem..

My speakers' "headphone jack" recently broke off in the audio out on my computer- which is on-board VIA, so i cannot simply replace the sound card as I have no available PCI slots. I tried to plug the "half-jack" back into place, thinking that the plug making contact with its counter part would suffice, but no sound is emitted when I do this. I thought of some ideas, one of which is resorting to super glue on the tip and yanking it out (what do I have to loose?), but I hope someone else can give me a more rational solution to my problem other than what I have thought up, or buying a new MB.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

The problem here is one of repair skill. There's no easy potato based solution but any competent technician with solder skills may solder a wire to what's exposed of the broken tip and pull it out. Or find another dead motherboard and transfer from that to the good board. Or use just the right miniature needle nose pliers to pull it out.

Your plight is not unknown, but just a side effect of repair costs vs. replacement costs.

Bob

Collapse -
headphone jack
by donnaduchek / July 30, 2011 5:55 AM PDT

Not so,it doesn't work

Collapse -
So you didn't replace the jack 7 years later?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: headphone jack

After 7 years, let's close this discussion.

Collapse -
Re: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
by Steven Haninger / July 2, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

Without looking at the break, it's hard to tell what will be required to do an effective repair. There are usually 3 connections to be made and the electrical integrity is critical. It is sometimes possible to solder components back into place at the risk of doing more damage. You would need a proper jig to stabilize the MB and a good magnifier. The damaged site needs to be properly cleaned. Good soldering tools and skills are essential. The magnifying lens will provide a better image of what is damaged and help determine whether or not a repair is possible but super glue is likely to cause more ill than good. If my info makes you less comfortable with attempted repair, then don't try it. There are alternatives. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re: Re: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
by armorise / July 3, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

The problem is that just the TIP of the jack was broken- and there uis nothing to grasp on to with any plier/tweezers if I could find any small enough.
I said half earlier, when actuall it is more like 1/3 or 2/5....

Collapse -
Tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 6:38 AM PDT

One of my best tools were obtained from a dental catalog. It's amazing what devilish grips and tweezers they have. A great technician may have other tools or will replace the socket.

bob

Collapse -
Re: Re: Headphone Jack Broke off !!!
by Steven Haninger / July 3, 2004 10:30 AM PDT

Sorry to misunderstand. It sounds as if you might mean the "plug" and not the jack. Did I get it right this time? If so, can you get to it by opening the case and finding the tip of the plug from the MB component side? There may be some metal shielding that needs to be worked around so it might mean removing the board. Again, reasonable care should be sufficient. Good luck.

Collapse -
Same Problem Here
by jeffwrench / January 1, 2005 6:53 AM PST

I had the same problem - broke off a cheap headphone plug in the 1/4" jack of an expensive portable DAT machine. Actually, the headphone had a 1/8" mini jack, and a 1/4" adapter, and it was part of the cheap adapter that broke.

I had the same idea of trying crazy glue but was too afraid to permanently screw up the deck. I guess I will try opening up the thing and see if I can get the little nub of the plug out that way.

Would like to hear if the original poster ever resolved her problem, and how she did it.

Collapse -
I fixed mine yesterday
by voiceguy3 / December 12, 2008 4:12 AM PST

I used a fairly large safety pin. I found that the broken off stub consisted of three layers: an outer brass sheath, a plastic layer, and an interior brass layer. By carefully (maybe not so carefully in retrospect) working the tip of the pin into the plastic layer, I was able to gain a purchase on the thing as I pushed toward the outside brass layer. I pushed and kind of pulled at the same time...I guess you could say I pried it out. I was amazed that it worked,but who am I to question success.
Good Luck

Collapse -
Be careful with this solution...
by chughes868 / March 22, 2009 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I fixed mine yesterday

Just tried your advice and pushed the jack through and into the casing of the laptop. I tried opening the back but the jack seems to be in a self-contained area. In retrospect, in my case, I needed some very fine-point tweezers to grab hold of the brass inner casing. Oh well.

Collapse -
Jack broke off
by donnaduchek / July 30, 2011 5:57 AM PDT

So sorry ours did too, I tried everything listed and it doesn't work.

We just purchased a new Dell xps 8300, the headphone
jack broke inside and the speakers do not work. It was like that
with our old Dell also. I wish companies would stop designing things that way.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.