TVs & Home Theaters forum

HDTV without audio out, what should I do to enhance sound.

by littlelamb / September 19, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

Hello, I have a samsung LN46E550F6F hdtv. It doesn't have an audio out port or a digital optical port. It has 2 hdmi in ports. No headphone jack, only component/av in ports. After contacting samsung and asking if I can connect anything to this tv to enhance its poor sound level I was told that it wasn't possible. For the moment I have my tivo box connected to one hdmi port. The other port I connect my laptop. I was able to figure out that I can connect my tivo box to my sony stereo system using a rca y audio cable. That's fine for when I'm watching cable tv but when I want to watch a movie by connecting my laptop to my tv I can't connect my tv to the stereo's audio in. I would love suggestions as to what I can do to enhance my tv's sound. I was told I can't connect a sound bar so what are my options.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV without audio out, what should I do to enhance sound.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV without audio out, what should I do to enhance sound.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Connect the sound directly to the stereo,
by Oldartq / September 19, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

not to the tv. Sound bar would be the same way (directly). I can't see anything wrong with that. Give it a try. Good luck.

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't understand
by littlelamb / September 19, 2013 2:58 PM PDT

Did you mean connect the sound bar to the stereo? If so, how would this enhance the sound from my tv when I have my laptop connected to it?

Collapse -
You have no options unless you buy additional equipment
by Pepe7 / September 20, 2013 4:03 AM PDT

Laptop would likely have to have different outputs for anything else to work, and that would defeat the purpose of sending it out to a separate display.

Collapse -
by Oldartq / September 20, 2013 8:53 AM PDT

for example, with a dvd player, the video connects to the tv and the audio connects to stereo....OR to the soundbar. As Pepe7 noted, you don't have lot of option, sorry.

Collapse -
I'm willing to get anything that works
by littlelamb / September 22, 2013 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: No,

Someone from samsung told me that I can't connect a sound bar, not through the component port or hdmi. So that's out. I need someone to tell me exactly what I need to get so that I can use my laptop with my tv. I don't have a smart tv so I connect my laptop and it works great, all I want is better sound. I'm aware that I can connect my tivo to my stereo's audio in as well as my dvd player. I have an old dvd player so I connect it with composite cables to the back of my tv and the audio to my stereo. I do the same for my WII. I connect the video to my tv and the audio to my stereo. It's a bit of a hassle to constantly have to connect and disconnect for each device but at least it works. It's using my laptop with my tv that I would love a solution for. If someone can be more detailed as to what I need and what connections need to be made I would truly appreciate it.

Collapse -
Get a cable
by itsdigger / September 22, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Of coarse to eliminate the plug and unplug,
by Oldartq / September 22, 2013 4:21 AM PDT

you get a switching device.

Collapse -
what kind of switching device?
by littlelamb / September 22, 2013 10:07 AM PDT

details would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Tell me more
by Pepe7 / September 22, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

Just to be completely clear- you have no cable or satellite box? The TiVO box records a signal provided by your HDTV? Or is the TiVO device also serving as your cable/satellite box?

Collapse -
I get cable service through my TIVO box
by littlelamb / September 22, 2013 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell me more

I connect my tivo box with an hdmi cable to my tv, which only has 2 hdmi ports. By the way, neither hdmi ports have ARC. I don't know if a home theater is an option for me. Also, in my initial question I have the model of my tv in case you want to know that too.

Collapse -
Now we are cooking w/ gas
by Pepe7 / September 22, 2013 11:09 AM PDT

Knowing the make/model/cable provider would also help a great deal Wink

You shouldn't have to send any sound back from the HDTV. Not if your Sony stereo system can handle the inputs. Tell us the model number of that too, please.

Makes/models gives the opportunity to quickly review the schematics online as needed to verify info.

Collapse -
Many different approaches
by mjd420nova / September 23, 2013 4:37 AM PDT

Your choice of audio source is going to have to come from either the cable/satelite/Tivo/ETC box. Most boxes have an analog output (red/white) RCA jacks. This can be fed to an audio amp with speakers of your choice. If you haven't already, a low end digital stereo fits the bill. Getting audio from the PC can be fed to an auxilary input to the amp, feeding the same speakers. Some mfgrs place speakers in some funny places that do nothing to help the small speakers mounted in the HDTVs today. My first appointment for service (when it happens) will include the pairing of the case speakers through switch jacks while the case is open.

Collapse -
I already connect my tivo to my stereo system
by littlelamb / September 24, 2013 2:28 AM PDT

I was actually hoping for a home theater system but I don't know if it will work with my tv. Someone else in another website mentioned I should get an a/v receiver. I'm willing to hear all suggestions if someone can tell me how I should connect it to my tv. Like I mentioned my tv doesn't have audio out, no digital optical port either. Just 2 hdmi in ports.

Collapse -
(NT) Buy a TV with audio out.
by wpgwpg / September 24, 2013 2:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
This tv was a gift
by littlelamb / September 24, 2013 4:22 AM PDT

the picture quality is great. the sound not really.

Collapse -
Then a receiver is best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: This tv was a gift

Let the audio work be done somewhere else?

Collapse -
Yes, get a receiver already ;)
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2013 5:04 AM PDT

That solves your issues of needed audio output from the HDTV. It ideally should be used as a display and nothing more to make things work more seamlessly.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.