TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV Antennae Questions

by y0Lorenzo / August 20, 2007 5:49 PM PDT

I have an HDTV already and LOVE Dish Network's HD package. I view on a 720p plasma over HDMI from the ViP 622 box. The quality is great. I am thinking of adding an HDTV to my house. It would receive our Dish Network 2nd tuner feed of down converted HDTV over RF, but I want to add to the mix, an HDTV antennae, for viewing local channels on this TV and possibly others in HD/SD.

-Will an indoor HDTV antennae placed near a window produce HDTV comparable to Dish Network HD channels? better/worse? in what way?

-What is required to install an outdoor HDTV antennae and is it necessary for good quality local channels?

-Can an HDTV antennae support multiple TVs simultaneously (assuming all tvs have tuners)

-Will an HDTV antennae also work with SDTVs? (HDTVs and SDTVs simultaneously, connected with a splitter)

-Will an amplifier need to be implemented and how?

Thanks for the help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV Antennae Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV Antennae Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also
by y0Lorenzo / August 20, 2007 5:57 PM PDT

I would love to have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified-Outdoor-Antenna-Satellite/dp/B0000APCIV/ref=sr_1_14/104-9737333-3465516?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187682572&sr=8-14

It looks like it would do perfectly, but I am definitely not getting on the roof. Would it be expensive for someone to install it?

Would something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Technology-TV-55-Outdoor-Amplified/dp/B00005T3A9/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/104-9737333-3465516?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187682572&sr=8-4

placed indoor near a window or even mounted on the side of the house do the trick just as good or how much worse?

Collapse -
Antenna's
by grc24 / August 21, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: also

Go to antennaweb.org. They will recommend what type of antenna you will need depending on how far you are away from you local boadcasts. Also, don't get sucked into the whole "You need an HD antenna to get an HD picture." This is so not true. All you need are a plain ole' set of TV antennas. Hopefully they'll do the trick. I started with a cheap $14. set of RCA antennas and was able to get a couple of stations, but I returned those and picked up a $50. set of TERK amplified and I put them in my attic and low and behold, I now have all my locals in High Def. It's great and to be honest with you, the NBC station blows away what I get from the DishNetworks High Def stations. Anyway, fill in the blanks on the information sheet from antennaweb.org and that should give you something to start with.

Good Luck.

grc

Collapse -
THIS SITE PROVIDES A WEALTH OF INFORMATION.........
by Riverledge / August 26, 2007 1:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Antenna's

BUT AS ALWAYS, access all your resources.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Terk
by bevillan / August 21, 2007 7:48 AM PDT

I bought an indoor Terk HD antenna that doesn't even require the bunny ears to be extended to work.

Mine is the one that looks like some weird Klingon blade:

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR05/component/comp2.html

It was $40 and as long as you point it in the right direction (works fine through walls) it will be fine.

Collapse -
HDTV Antenna
by k6lw / August 25, 2007 3:04 AM PDT

Currently all HD Over The Air (OTA) broadcasts are in the UHF portion of the spectrum. So if you want an outside antenna get one with good UHF gain figures. As to the quality, in some cases the OTA signal will be better than anything you get over cable or satellite since there doesn't need to be any compression of the signal. You can use the antenna to feed more than one TV, and it will work with both NTSC and HD. One word of caution though. Unless you're resonably close to the transmitter, using a splitter may reduce the signal strength to the point where the HDTV won't capture and lock in. A better solution is to use a powered distribution amplifier. This will allow you to connect multiple devices and still maintain adequate signal strength.
For installations out doors, a roof mount and short pole would be okay in most cases. There are companies that will install an outdoor antenna for you.

Collapse -
WHY? DISH GIVES YOU EVERY OVER THE AIR CHANNEL IN YOUR AREA
by stewart norrie / August 26, 2007 5:44 AM PDT

I just upgraded to the new VIP222 system and now have 20 premium hi-def channels plus every local channel in my area I mean every channel anolog digital and hi-def FREE and all for $10.00 exta per month They even give you tons of c.d. music channels also free so sweet I was able to scrap that old outside antenna and save money. Please call dish If you have an older system they will upgrade you for free Dish is going to empg.4 technology there older systems are being upgraded hope this helps stewee

Collapse -
Cutting the Cord, OTA Reception and Recording Shows
by sunier2 / July 26, 2014 2:03 PM PDT

I know this discussion was in 2007 and it's now 2014 but I wanted to get the simple solution across that has come about in the meantime. It is to drop your Dish, cable or whatever, get a good rooftop TV antenna and a Channel Master DVR+ ($250). I get 37 different channels here in Portland OR and unless you are in a hole or way out in the country this is a fine solution. NO monthly fees of any kind either. If you want to record more than 1 1/2 hours of TV, simply attach any hard drive and you're all set. There is also now a 1TB DVR+ fpr $399 but it's cheaper to just pick up a HD most anywhere (currently $80 at Costco).
Don't let anyone tell you there are special HDTV antennas; all TV antennas work the same. Get a good UHF-only antenna if all your HD stations in the area are UHF. Remember, the original idea of broadcasting in the U.S. was to support the programs with advertising or underwriting and the broadcasts are FREE! Don't let the government sell off the spectrum and deny the increasing percentage of people depending on OTA TV reception from continuing to get it.

Collapse -
Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me (n/t)
by Pepe7 / July 29, 2014 2:35 AM PDT

n/t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.