TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDTV antenna recommendation - where to buy?

by gmw1955 / December 1, 2006 12:25 PM PST

I'd like to get an antenna to get over-the-air HD broadcasts. Problem is, it seems no place has adequate selection - not even Amazon or Cnet itself. I've already looked at antennaweb.org, but I live in new construction. (My address isn't even on google maps.)

Anyway, know of a good place to browse around?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDTV antenna recommendation - where to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDTV antenna recommendation - where to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TIM RADIO SHACK
by stewart norrie / December 2, 2006 12:38 AM PST

First dont get sucked into buying a hi-def antenna ther is no such thing except costs more money .But also note do you live oin an area where you would get good anolog reception. I live in San Jose ca. 70 miles from San Francisco and with a $49.00 radio shack outside antenna I receive 18 local digital channels 9 are in hi-def steweeee

Collapse -
HD Antenna
by hyghwayman / December 10, 2006 11:09 PM PST

Hi Timomy,
I live in the Dayton Ohio area and I am able to receive all local broadcast using a Philips indoor HD antenna. I am also receiving broadcast from Cincy and Springfeild Ohio along w/ another from Ky.
With this TV my veiwing choises have almost tripeled. Plus watching the programs now in SD and HD is so much better(cleaner)w/ the audio in Dolby Digital which I have going to my Pioneer VSX-816K receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ES8EG0/yahoo-ce-20/ref=nosim#moreAboutThisProduct

hyghwayman

P.S. I bought mine at Walmart for about $25.00 and have seen it at CC for about the same price.

Collapse -
Go to the link for antenna info. Radio Shack has antennas!
by jcrobso / December 11, 2006 1:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Antennas.
by grc24 / December 13, 2006 3:18 PM PST

I bought a cheap $19.99 RCA indoor antenna at BB. Was able to pick up all the locals that a small Minnesota town has to offer. I guess I can't complain, but will probably take it back and get an outside antenna as this indoor one can't keep a consistent signal. More to do with the outside surroundings than the antenna though. My TV is in our basement and I wasn't able to pick up any kind of a signal. I put the antenna on the main floor and hooked it up and it works OK. You don't need to purchase the HD antennas though. Just a plain old VHF/UHF should do the trick.

Collapse -
anything should work
by bobgilsonokc / December 16, 2006 9:15 PM PST

I have an HDTV and just hooked to my existing antenna located in my attic and receive beautiful HD pictures from our local stations in Oklahoma City. The antenna was put in the attic in 1977 when I built the house, so don't worry about getting an 'HD Antenna' and paying extra. I believe I bought this at Radio Shack back then.

Collapse -
Buy the HDTV antenna.
by adpindia / November 6, 2007 8:27 AM PST

Hi, I bought the HDTV/DTV UHF antenna from kowatec corporation in San Jose, CA. You can order one from their website www.kowatec.com and you have to have an HDTV or if you have an analog TV you have to buy a digital to analog converter.

Collapse -
TERK MAKES MANY HIGH QUALITY ANTENNAS................
by Riverledge / November 6, 2007 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Buy the HDTV antenna.

WELL KNOWN FOR IT'S ANTENNAS, TERK IS YOUR BEST BET.

Available at most electronics stores; including CC and BBY.

Best wishes,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Terk
by bevillan / November 7, 2007 12:38 AM PST

I own an indoor Terk antenna that isn't powered (passive antenna) and it works great and isn't very large. Also, It looks pretty slick. I got it from Crutchfield for about $40 and it picks up plenty of channels.

Collapse -
HDTV Antenna
by Denny D. / November 17, 2007 7:21 AM PST

HDTV antenna or digital TV antenna? It doesn't matter what you call it's still a TV antenna, and you better choose the right one. In the past couple of years a flood of new TV antennas have emerge onto the market place claiming to be HDTV antennas, digital TV antennas Etc... These small compact antennas look very high-tech in design and are very appealing to the consumer.

But do these new little TV antennas really work?
Which TV antenna is right for you?
What's really going on with this whole digital transition?
Do I need an HDTV to receive free over the air TV?

These are the questions asked most frequently by the visitors to my website "TV Antenna Source" Unlike analog reception of the past, choosing the proper TV antenna for digital/HD reception is crucial to your viewing pleasure. I have written a page in hopes it will clear-up any confusion about over the air digital/HDTV, the digital transition and help those attempting to choose the best TV antenna for digital/HDTV reception. I invite everyone to visit this page at http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/2029710.html If you still have further questions feel free to email me, I'll do my best to help in anyway I can.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.