TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

HDMI vs. Component

by hawker00 / December 2, 2006 7:57 AM PST

Just got our HD set up and was wondering if it was worth spending money for the HDMI cables. I'm not looking to spend too much (I found a cable, Radio Shack brand, for around $50). Would it be worth going for this HDMI cable or will I not see a difference from the component cable I have right now that came with the Direc TV HD box?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI vs. Component
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI vs. Component
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YOU SHOULD TRY BOTH TYPES OF CABLES
by stewart norrie / December 2, 2006 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI vs. Component

When I had the Dish netwrok hi=-def system installed they used componit vidio cables and what an ugly picture next day I bought a h.d.m.i. cable and bam bam beautiful picture quality in some cases h.d.m.i. will work and other set ups componit works best you really have to try both types of cables sounds funny but true steweeeee

Collapse -
HDMI good for HDTV, not so good for non-HDTV...
by 747tech / December 2, 2006 12:22 PM PST

A lot of folks who have written reviews regarding this subject are stating that the HDMI hook-up is awesome for HDTV programming. However when they are watching a normal broadcast, the picture is not that great. So many folks (with cable TV that is) are using the component cable as opposed to the HDMI. HDMI is good to use with your DVD player (if applicable).

I cannot attest to this myself as I am still waiting for my HDTV to arrive. However I have spoken with a representative from Crutchfield and from Toshiba, and both agreed that the component option will be better for cable television.

As far as expense, you're right, they are expensive. Some Monster Cables have a "dielectric gas" injected into them. These cables are mucho $$$. Apparently the gas:

"creates uniform, microscopic cells that allow the conductor to rest in the exact center of the cable (even when the cable is bent). The result is consistent 75-Ohm impedance for maximum signal strength, constant performance and efficient transfer of video signals between components."

My advice, just get some basic cables and ensure that they are the correct length. If you only need 4 feet but buy an 8 feet cable, then you're obviously going to end up bending the cables. So according to Monster Cables, you'll have 45-Ohm imedance instead of 75-Ohms because the cables are bent...oh no!!!

PC Richard & Son had some RCA brand component cables at a decent price (between $20 - $30). You can always get the high-end Monster Cables at a lower price on ebay as well.

Here is some more info about cables for HDTVs on CNET: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-5.html?tag=lnav

Collapse -
Monster Cables
by HTHMAN / December 3, 2006 5:18 AM PST

I thought the "gas" in the Monster cables was there because of all the BS they threw in with them.

Collapse -
What I have found. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 2, 2006 10:06 PM PST

As I used to work for a major retailer selling all the new HD TVs, I had the opportunity to test the high end TVs with both HDMI and component cables. I honestly could not tell the difference.

I own a Sony LCoS 55" with all the inputs. I tried both the HDMI and component with my DishNetwork HD receiver. Same results.

Here's a thought, buy the HDMI cable, try it at home. If you cannot see any difference, return it. This will free the HDMI port on the TV for your new PS3.

Collapse -
HI CORY HAPPY HOLIDAY HERE IS ONE FOR THE EXPERT
by stewart norrie / December 3, 2006 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: What I have found. . .

When I first installed the dish 811 hi-def system and they hooked it up with componmit cables The picture looked horrible so I replaced them with a d.v.i. to h.d.m.i. cable problem solved I had the same p[roblem with my d.v.d. player Tried 3 different quality players using componit cables finally bought a DENON 2910 used the h.d.m.i. port and found the picture to be perfect Now Iam on my second hi-def t.v. 72" d.l.p. toshiba and for the heck of it tried using componit cables same horrible picture I wish I know the answer to this I hear from so many folks saying componit cables work fine. but for me there is a 100% improvement with h.d.m.i. cables steweeeeeeeeeee

Collapse -
All TVs. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 3, 2006 4:43 AM PST

are not created equal I guess.

Collapse -
HDMI does Video and Sound
by mojorhino / December 4, 2006 1:31 PM PST

Everyone here seems to forget that if you get component cables - they only do your video - you still need to buy a digital audio cable or analog audio cables for your sound. With that being said just buy the HDMI if that is an option and here is why:
1. An HDMI Cable costs less than one component cable plus the audio cable/s you will still need for the sound.
2. Less cable means less to have to figure out how to hook up.
3. HDMI is a digital signal vs Component which is an analog signal which = better picture. If you were to compare 2 TV's side by side with the the different pictures you would notice the difference although it would be minimal.
I would use the HDMI cable for reasons 1 & 2 but unless you have 2 of the same tv's side by side you could but probably wouldnt notice the difference between HDMI and component.

Collapse -
Mon$ter blows gas.
by grc24 / December 4, 2006 1:56 PM PST

Yea! With those "Gas filled" cables also comes a very nasty smell. Smells a lot like crap. Don't buy cables from Mon$ter. I bought my cables from monoprice.com. A 10 ft. HDMI cable for $20. and 2 3 ft. HDMI cables for $14.87 apiece. All are working great.

Collapse -
Monster?
by mojorhino / December 5, 2006 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Mon$ter blows gas.

The discussion was about HDMI vs component why are we on the subject of Monster cables? There are lots of cables that arent monster!

Collapse -
Monster Mash!
by techsorceress / January 20, 2009 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Monster?

HDMI cables are definitely worth investing in if you have a plasma or high def tv and definitely worth it if you have gaming consoles (xbox, Wii, PS3), blu-ray player, etc. It is however, not necessary to buy Monster brand cables to get a performance HDMI cable. I bought my HDMI cables at http://www.comprehensiveinc.com for a fraction of the cost of monster cables and they work great. You are only paying for the name brand Monster and paying for their advertising costs when you purchase Monster cables. Although all electronics are not created equal, it is important to shop wisely and not pay for a company's branding campaign!

Collapse -
Here's why HDMI
by Dan Filice / January 21, 2009 4:43 AM PST

Component video connections work great, but they only get you 1080i. HDMI will get you 1080p IF connected to a Blu-Ray DVD player. HDMI is also a totally Digital signal whereas Component is analog. If you don't have a BD player and you only need to connect your satellite or cable box, then component will be perfect, but as other stated, the HDMI will carry audio too, so it decreases your cable clutter. If you do have a BD player, then I suggest you use HDMI as this will also carry the "Deep Color" signal sent by many BD players.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.