TVs & Home Theaters forum

HDMI video and Optical Digital audio out of sync

by ericghanson / June 6, 2012 3:34 AM PDT

I recently upgrade our TV to a Sharp 3D TV which requires HDMI (previously used component video) to view 3D source from TW. Now the sound, which is to a Yamaha reciever through digitial optical audio, is ahead of the video on all channels. I have verified this as a TW problem by enabling the audio on the TV and my surround system and when set to TW I get an echo effect (the HDMI audio and video is in sync, but the HDMI video and digital audio are out of sync), but when set to my Blu-ray play with the same connection, there is no echo. TW has admitted via email that this is a problem which currently they do not have a resolution to. This is just a FYI for those of you that have this setup or plan to go to this setup in the future.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI video and Optical Digital audio out of sync
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI video and Optical Digital audio out of sync
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 4:01 AM PDT

I'm guessing Time Warner. The sync issue is pretty wide spread and seems to be a problem for many providers. I'm thinking that quality was not a goal.

Collapse -
Correct Time Warner
by ericghanson / June 6, 2012 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: TW?

Correct on Time Warner. After reading much more about the problem it appears that the GLOBAL solution may be an originating "watermark" on the AV signal that can be used to guarantee a synced audio and video signal throughout the signal delivery process to the final consumer.

Collapse -
Does your Yamaha receiver have a delay setting?
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2012 5:16 AM PDT

Some receivers offer a delay setting you can adjust for this.

Collapse -
Delay Setting is GLOBAL
by ericghanson / June 6, 2012 10:43 AM PDT

Unfortunately, the delay setting effects all the audio outputs, so if I delay the cable audio (works a 100ms) then I have to manually 0 the delay when I use any other device (Blu-Ray, XBox 360, computer, ...) which is a pain.

Collapse -
Which Yamaha do you have?
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2012 11:50 AM PDT

I am somewhat certain some of the newer higher end offerings from Denon & Onkyo offer custom audio inputs, including delays. Of course I may be incorrect, but worth checking anyway for future reference.

Collapse -
alternative solution
by Arcticbear84 / June 7, 2012 12:48 AM PDT

This is a cheaper solution. Octava 1x1 HDMI Audio Converter. It duplicate audio signal then send to optical out.
This way your HDMI and optical will be in sync.

Collapse -
NEW Yamaha RX-V537
by ericghanson / June 7, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: alternative solution

I purchased a NEW Yamaha RX-V537 which fixed all sync problems and gave me complete iPod Touch control and Network play capability as well. Awesome.

Collapse -
Sounds nice ;)
by Pepe7 / June 7, 2012 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: NEW Yamaha RX-V537

Collapse -
I have this too, but on BR player
by Dan Filice / June 7, 2012 4:58 AM PDT

Before I upgraded to a BR player, I used component video-out of my old DVD player to TV and audio went to Yamaha receiver via optical, and everything was fine. Then with my BR player, I use HDMI from player to TV but still use audio to Yamaha via optical because it's a pre-HDMI Yamaha, and now the audio is ahead of the video. I think this is simply a function of processing time between HDMI and a non-processed audio signal from optical to receiver. Some day I will upgrade to a newer HDMI receiver, but until then I can live with the slight audio sync issues. It annoys me, but it doesn't bother my wife, so it's good for now.

Collapse -
Yamaha delay option
by ericghanson / June 7, 2012 7:56 AM PDT

My now old Yamaha reciever had an Audio option to increase the delay to remove the sync problem as stated above. I fixed all my sync problem by upgrading to the NEW Yamaha RX-V537 which is full 3D HDMI upto 4K video compatible as well as iPod/iPhone Airplay and Network play ready. I have an iPod Touch and have complete control of all Audio and Video from the free Yamaha app. Very awesome.

Collapse -
My Old Yamaha
by Dan Filice / June 7, 2012 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Yamaha delay option

Unfortunately I have an old Yamaha RXV1000 receiver that has no audio delay. The only delay option is through a menu to adjust the sound delay in the surround mode, but nothing to adjust the audio delay through the optical to fix the sync problem. Some day I'll get a new receiver. I thought about the Yamaha, but to use my iPhone or iPod the models I was looking at required a $99 adapter to see the iPod playlists on-screen. My son just bought a new Kenwood that already had this function built-in. The sync doesn't bother me enough yet to require spending $500 + on a new receiver to get one that has all the features of my RXV1000.

Collapse -
Can't you use 1 format?
by pj-mckay / June 8, 2012 6:02 PM PDT

I suspect your problem is simply the splitting and processing by different systems. I would send hdmi to the amp then let it feed the tv if required. I did have to replace my last amp to get hdmi inputs but it's worth it in the long run. And new amps will probably maintain the delays and volume settings per input. If you don't have hdmi on your amp it's time to change; if you do, then use them. Keep it simple!

Collapse -
Not Familiar with Yamaha, but...
by Flatworm / June 8, 2012 10:18 PM PDT

I have an Onkyo A/V receiver and it has a setting in the menu that permits delaying the picture or sound slightly so as to achieve a proper sync.

But why are you pumping audio from your video source into your receiver via two different pathways in the first place? You gain nothing by this. Just use the HDMI and forget the digital optical connection entirely.

Collapse -
New A/V receiver works
by ericghanson / June 9, 2012 6:08 AM PDT

The new Yamaha RX-V573 is full HDMI upto 4K and allows per input device delay settings. It also supports Automatic Lipsync if your output TV supports this function via bidirectionl HDMI.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.