Computer Help forum

General discussion

HDMI to Stereo

by paul6975 / January 13, 2011 5:44 AM PST

Okay what I want to do is connect my hdmi to my Logitech COUMPUTER speakers right now I have all three 3.5mm stereo plugs going into my headphones port on my COUMPUTER with this set up I have no 5.1 sound. I was told that the hdmi would give me the sound I want out of my speakers is this even possible is there such thing as a hdmi on one end and the other end of the plug a 3.5mm plug and if not can you make one? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI to Stereo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI to Stereo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No and no
by Jimmy Greystone / January 13, 2011 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI to Stereo

No there is no such cable, and no there is no way to make one, because HDMI is a digital signal, and those 3.5mm cables are analog. You'd need some kind of a conversion device.

Also, in order to get 5.1 sound, you need an audio source that has 6 discreet channels of audio in it, such as a DVD movie. Or you need some kind of program, or bit of hardware, that will do audio upmixing. Without that, if you only have a stereo signal, it's perfectly natural for you to only get left and right speakers going.

As someone who was in a similar position as you maybe 6-7 years ago, take it from me, just go out and get a home theater system. That is where you'll end up anyway. Multi-channel computer speaker systems are a waste of money, because you're never going to get them to work how you want. It's simply not going to happen. Computer speakers also tend to have rather horrible frequency response ranges, which will dramatically affect the quality of the audio.

Save yourself a lot of time and effort, just buy a home theater system with some speakers that are actually worth something. The bigger the frequency range supported by the speakers the better, and by and large, the bigger the better. Usually bigger speakers have better frequency ranges at cheaper prices. You can get smaller speakers with high frequency ranges, but you'll pay a pretty penny for them. And you also want a powered sub. Trust me, there's no comparison between the two, and a sub has a rather dramatic impact on the depth of the sound you get.

You don't need to buy some $10,000 home theater system, just look for the best you can afford. And I'd also suggest buying a refurb unit for your first go. Onkyo has their Club Onkyo site which routinely has refurb stuff. I've bought a few things from there, and honestly, they both came looking as if they were brand new. I think a lot of Onkyo's refurbs are actually discontinued models they're trying to clear out. So if you don't mind that, you can save a couple hundred bucks. Be a good way to kind of get your feet wet in the wide world of home theater equipment without a massive cash outlay. Once you get the hang of things, you can start looking for a better receiver and/or speakers. Just stop wasting your time with computer speakers, because they will absolutely never do what you want.

Collapse -
You are incorrect
by quuxman / January 28, 2013 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: No and no
Collapse -
HDCP is still enforced in this country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: You are incorrect

I've seen a few of these outside this country but due to HDCP most convertors fail. For stereo this should be no issue as that's allowed to pass through the TV.

Are you fluent with HDCP HDMI and all the frappy rules?

Any reason to pull up a 2+ year old discussion? What took you so long?
Read http://xkcd.com/386/

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.