TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

HDMI through Upconversion DVD player, only sound no picture

by tbird_70 / August 27, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

I have had my 65" Toshiba rear projection for almost 3 years and the Direct TV box I had and the current one work fantastic , great picture sound and everything else no problems. I recently purchased a DVD Upconverting player which of course has HDMI. I plugged it into my TV and all I get is a blue screen and sound but np icture whatsoever.
I took back the DVD player and got a differnt brand, I hooked it up and the same thing happened, no picture only sound through the HDMI. I am able to see a picture for about 5 seconds but then the screen goes to black. If I turn the DVD player off and on I will continue to get the screen back for the 5 seconds and it goes blank after that.
I did try different HDMI cables and nothing changed. I also try to use Component cables and that seemed to work perfectly. I was thinking that it had something to do with the fact my TV is 3 years old and maybe the HDMI versions are newer and my TV doesn't recognize it or something.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI through Upconversion DVD player, only sound no picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI through Upconversion DVD player, only sound no picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The most basic question
by Dan Filice / August 27, 2007 8:37 AM PDT

Every TV I've owned requires that for each "Input", I specify the connection for each. That is, I need to specify for each input whether I am using S-Video, Component or Digital (HDMI). How do you have your TV configured for the input you've chosen.

Collapse -
HDMI
by tbird_70 / August 27, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

I have the TV set for HDMI I only have one HDMI input and I was using my satellite for that space and put my XBOX and everything else in the component spaces. So when I went out and bought this Pioneer DV-400V with the HDMI I was hoping to just hook it up and start watching but as of now I can not get any video only sound. I have used 3 different cables and I have used all 3 cables on my direct tv box and it works fine. I was thinking it was a compatability issue but I have not found anything on the net to justify that. Help please

Collapse -
HDMI ports can be bad
by Dan Filice / August 27, 2007 2:12 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

It doesn't seem likely that both DVD players you tried had bad HDMI outputs, so the blame may just be a bad HDMI port on your TV. I'm not sure if they can be changed out or if they require some in-depth repair. I would first make certain that the HDMI is pushed into the TV all the way. I had a similar problem with my Sony LCD and I thought the TV was defective, but out of panic I pushed the HDMI in a little harder and it made contact. Other than this, I'm stumped. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Collapse -
HDMI
by tbird_70 / August 27, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI ports can be bad

I changed the cable 3 different times and all 3 cables worked with my DirectTV DVR but nothing worked with the DVD.

Collapse -
But what about the TV connection?
by Dan Filice / August 28, 2007 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

Your HDMI port in the TV may be bad. I'm not sure what is involved in replacing one.

Collapse -
What model
by Kingp1n / August 28, 2007 5:22 AM PDT

TV and DVD player do you have? Also, did you check the video output settings on the DVD players? If the video output on the component cable just fine, sounds like you need to change the output from component to HDMI.

Collapse -
Good suggestion
by Dan Filice / August 28, 2007 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What model

Kingp1n,

I had suggested that the poster check the input settings on the TV, but I totally forgot that DVD players need to be "told" what video outputs to use. Just like audio, a DVD player won't use the digital output unless you go into the menu and tell it to.

Collapse -
Tried it
by tbird_70 / August 28, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Good suggestion

I was only able to get video for about 5 seconds when I would turn the DVD player on. During that time I was able each time to get into the settings and change it over to 1080i, then 720, then even 480 and I still got nothing in the way of constant video. It would only come on for the 5 seconds then disappear no matter what setting I had it on. My last thought is that maybe because my TV ( Toshiba 65" rear prjection @ 3 years old) is running HDMI 1.1 that it is in someway not "shaking hands" with the 1.3 HDMI of the new DVD player. A guy at Best Buy told me that HDMI cables do make a difference and I would need one that was HDMI 1.3 compliant, I do not see how since everything else I have read says that the cables DO NOT matter. Not to mention one of the cables I was trying was a Monster 300 series that I had just bought from Best Buy, but they salesman said that the 300 was not HDMI 1.3 I needed the expensive 800 series blah blah blah

Collapse -
Still stumped
by Dan Filice / August 28, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried it

To help you setup your DVD player, plug your DVD into two TV inputs: One being component and one being HDMI. This way, when you are watching the input that uses component, you can see your DVD setup menu and choose to make the DVD player use the HDMI too and you can spend all the time you want messing with the setup instead of in 5-second bursts. Once you configure your DVD player to output using the HDMI, you should be able to then switch the TV to the HDMI input and see the DVD. I'm not sure about the HDMI 1.1 vs the 1.3 cable issue. I thought that 1.3 was backward compatible with 1.1, so if you used a 1.1 cable, it would work in the newer DVD player as well as the older TV. Just a guess. I too have an older Toshiba RPTV, but it was made before HDMI, so I'm limited to component inputs. It still has a great picture, but I can't use my OPPO DVD upconverting player with it.

Collapse -
a little more info
by tbird_70 / August 28, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Still stumped

OK so I took all the stuff back and got the Samsung DVD Upconvert because at least that had Optical Audio for my receiver. Strange thing I found out was that I was to plug in the HDMI and get the menu screen to stay up continually with this DVD player unlike the other one. Now here is the funny thing, I can not see a picture when playing a DVD only the sound BUT when I play a DivX I see the picture AND I can hear the sound.

I was doing what the last poster said, hooking up two TV inputs so I can switch back and forth but to no avail. I ended up just installing it by Component and Optical Audio I am happy with the picture and sound and it plays DivX I just wish I could have used the HDMI oh well, I guess I will just have to spend money on a new TV one of these days.

Thanks to all for the input, if anyone else has this problem and figures something out let me know I am more than willing to try it again.

Thanks again

Collapse -
HDMI cable....
by Kingp1n / August 28, 2007 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried it

HDMI specs are backwards compatible. PLEASE... don't listen to what Best Buy employees try to tell you.... 90% of them have no idea what they are talking about. A cable is a cable is a cable. Go back to that BB employee and ask him if they carry Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible speak wire.

Collapse -
Kingpin
by tbird_70 / August 28, 2007 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI cable....

I hear ya I knew they were all the same it was just shielding size, at least I think that is the difference, that makes the price change on those Monster cables.

Collapse -
Yes....
by Kingp1n / August 29, 2007 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Kingpin

it is the quality of construction and material. If I may make one suggestion though.... NEVER buy cables from a retail store! Find them off of the internet. You can get very high quality cables for a fraction on the price of a retail shop. They may not have your name brand on them like Monster, but hey, you're paying a extra cost for it to have Monster printed on it. I bought 3 very nice 6' HDMI cables off of the web for $75 for all 3 with shipping.

Collapse -
HDMI/HDCP handshake?
by lakephillip / August 31, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

I don't know if that is your case, but a similar problem arises with Direct TV HD Receiver H20-100, and most Korean built HD televisions.
Direct TV has sent out a software upgrade, and although the total software upgrade has some other "New" problems, they did solve what they call the HDCP handshake...which stands for HighDefCopyProtection
If the DVD player is having that problem there is little you can do but switch the combination...I tried an RCA up-converting DVD recorder, and I got blank everything on my TV(A 2006 LD 32" LCD).......Philips & Sony DVD players work fine for me, both HDMI up-converting.

Collapse -
HDMI handshake
by tbird_70 / September 1, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI/HDCP handshake?

I am sure it is the "handshake" as well. I tried the Pioneer and the Toshiba and neither one worked so I stuck with the Toshibe since it is the only one with optical for sound.

Collapse -
Bad HDMI Port
by HDMI_Dummy / December 21, 2007 5:07 AM PST

I bought the Samsung DLP TV two years ago. The model number is HL-R5656W. The television has just one HDMI port and it just recently stopped working. I have connected multiple HDMI cables to multiple boxes (direc tv, cable, dvd) and I can no longer generate a video signal from that source. Component cables and S-Video work fine. I am out of warranty and haven't been succesful in getting a quote from a "samsung technician". (They want to charge $150 for a visit).

Does anyone know the cost to replace an HDMI port. I hate to think this TV is history after just two years? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.