TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI sources through a receiver or straight to your TV?

by ZOD / November 29, 2005 4:50 AM PST

I have been researching for months and am almost ready to take the plunge and assemble my home theater system. The TV will be the Sony 60XBR1, DVD will be a Sony model with progressive scan and HDMI, and for a receiver I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600 or the Denon 3806. I will be getting my HD through Direct TV. My question is, should the the DVD and Direct TV be run through the receiver (since both models have 2 HDMI inputs and up-conversion) or should they be run directly into the TV. If I do run them directly through the TV, how does this affect or limit my ability to use the surround sound capabilities of the receiver. Obviously, if I don't need to have the video sources go through a receiver, I can save money by buying a receiver without HDMI and spend the money elsewhere, like the speakers. Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI sources through a receiver or straight to your TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI sources through a receiver or straight to your TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
$$$
by Allin4greeN / November 29, 2005 7:51 AM PST

Just my take, but I'd save the money you have earmarked for an HDMI receiver and go with the highest quality receiver with multiple digital audio inputs (Optical/Coaxial) you can find.

You could manage video switching via the 60XBR1 and audio switching via the receiver. Upconversion and de-interlacing in a receiver seems kinda redundant to me given the other components you're looking at for your system. BTW, you didn't mention if the DVD player you're looking at does upconverting also. I'm guessing, since it has an HDMI connection, that it does.

Collapse -
Great points, thanks.
by ZOD / November 29, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: $$$

You bring up a great point about the DVD player. Most with HDMI do upconvert but is it really necessary if the TV does?

Collapse -
Well...
by Allin4greeN / November 29, 2005 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: Great points, thanks.

Whether or not upconverting DVD players yield PQ enhancements is a point of contention among the masses. I've heard really good things about that 60XBR1. I'd say that the odds are good that all you would need is a decent Progressive Scan DVD player and you'll get excellent PQ.

So you know where I'm coming from on this. For financial reasons, my system is considerably less high end than the one you're putting together Happy

Westinghouse 32" monitor, Dish Network 942 HD/DVR, Samsung HD850 upconverting DVD player, Yamaha HTR 5750 receiver, and Yamaha NS-BP4500 Home Theater Speakers.

Collapse -
HDMI offers simplicity
by sMoRTy71 / November 30, 2005 9:52 PM PST

The big advantage (IMHO) to using HDMI is that it requires only 1 cable (which really simplifies connections for people not familiar with home theater gear) per component.

So if your receiver has HDMI, you will only need to run a single HDMI cable to your TV to enjoy the other HDMI components you have connected to the receiver via single HDMI cables. Considering the rat's nest of cables I have behind my HT gear, you shouldn't underestimate the convenience/neatness factor of HDMI.

If you go with a receiver without HDMI, you will need to connect digital audio cables to the receiver from each component and then run HDMI cables from each component to the TV.

One other thing to consider is how many HDMI connections does the TV have. If it has only 1, then you would be better off using a receiver that has multiple HDMI connections. Otherwise, you would need to find an HDMI switch.

Considering that HDMI is the newest standard (and because you are buying everything from scratch), I would go with HDMI.

Collapse -
Many thanks!!!
by ZOD / November 30, 2005 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI offers simplicity

This site is great. I think I will spend the extra $$$ and go with the Denon 3806. Very little if anything I have come across in my research to indicate that this is not a good buy. As you point out, can't go wrong with having too many HDMI options.

Collapse -
HDMI offers simplicity,,, Yes and no
by jcrobso / November 30, 2005 11:44 PM PST

In a couple of years well, yes it can. But today?????
I remember when S-Video came out, better picture, but the first few years it was Sooooo hard to find anything that had S-Video inputs.
I agree that if you are starting from scrach it would be a good idea to get HDMI.
The concept of HDMI, all sources go to the reciver, the reciver does the switching, sends audio to the sprekers-video to the TV.
What kind of reciver you buy depends a lot on which HDTV you get. Will it be able to send the digital audio to the reciver from the HDMI cable????

For the people that are buying the Panny industrail displaies, a reciver with good audio and video switching is a must.
Look a the back of your TV see whats there, figure out what you need then get a reciver that will "fill" the gap if any.

So HDTVs do a good job of upscaling and some don't, try yours with component first. John

Collapse -
Just a thought...
by Allin4greeN / December 1, 2005 10:36 AM PST

But if ZOD is looking at the Sony 60XBR1 that has two HDMI inputs and 1 Digital Optical out... couldn't he run his HDMI's or any other video inputs to the monitor and with one audio out to the receiver and get 5.1, 6.1, or even 7.1 discrete channels of audio? It still simplifies cables and avoids other potential problems.

I'm just thinking that there's a greater chance of HDCP problems creeping into the HDMI receiver set-up, simply because it is the newest standard.

Additionally, looking towards the horizon and the future of true HD DVD players... seems to me you'd want to be as future proof as possible. An HDMI receiver right now just seems risky to me.

Finally, it seems a shame to spend big bucks on a nice monitor like that Sony and then not to use the technology that's in it for video signal processing.

Collapse -
Great advice
by ZOD / December 1, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Just a thought...

The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to run HDMI (Direct TV and DVD) directly into the tv and then audio out to the receiver. I still might go with the Denon 3806 even though it is probably overkill. I guess it can't hurt to have the option of running it through the receiver.

Collapse -
TRY THE DENON 3805
by stewart norrie / December 3, 2005 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Great advice

This amp doesent have h.d.m.i switching and I perfer to run all my vidio straight to my hi-def monitor, less chance of degrading picture and far less cables + 3805 was a lot cheaper I also bought 5 new Atlantic 4200 speakers with there 272PBM THX Sub and the sound is so sweet Iam very happy with this set up The sound seems to be as good as systems costing twice as much happy holidays stewart norrie

Collapse -
RUN DIRECT AND SAVE MONEY
by stewart norrie / December 3, 2005 3:15 AM PST

I just bought the Denon AVR-3805, and run all my vidio straight to my hi-def monitor, It seems to me that you have less cables and less chance of degrading picture quality? also the 3805 was cheaper because it does not have h.d.m.i. switching in closing I bought 5 atlantic technogaly 4200 speakers and a 272PBMTHX sub and Denon and atlantic technology speakers are made in heavn my system sounds as good as systems costing 3 times as much good luck to yoy happy holidays steweart norrie

Collapse -
Just a side note
by mikekollar / December 6, 2005 8:16 AM PST

I too am piecing together my system for Christmas. I am also looking at the RXV1600. I thought I was going to use the HTR-5990. So I am confused between these 2 units. Which is the newer unit and does one have advantages over the other. I do not know which one to order!

Collapse -
HTR 5990 vs RX-V1600
by mattnuke / January 5, 2006 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Just a side note

The two product lines from Yamaha are pretty much the same. Per their website they are both made in the same factory using the same high quality parts. The difference is cosmetics and the target audience. The HTR are more mass outlet (Bestbuy, Circuit city, internet, etc), while the RXV line is sold at custom home theatre stores.

Beware, the RXV line is not authorized to be sold over the internet. Yamaha will not honor its warranty for these second hand sales. The HTR line can be bought over the internet at authorized websites (OneCall, Vanns, etc).

The 5990 and the 1600 are about the same age. The 5990 has 20 more watts per channel (140W) versus 120W. Otherwise they seem identical. I was able to get a special at OneCall for ~$650 for the HTR so I jumped on it. Will be delivered soon, I will post my impressions.

Collapse -
RX-V1600 or the Denon 3806
by ckohne / December 27, 2005 11:26 PM PST

I was reading the various postings to your original post, and just wanted to follow up with you. I have recently purchased the Sony 60XBR, and, am considering the same two receivers you had mentioned...RX-V1600 or the Denon 3806. I was leaning towards the Denon, until I realized that this receiver is not THX certified. Did you consider this in your purchase? What is the true impact of THX. thank you in advance for any feedback!!

Collapse -
I went with the Denon 3806
by ZOD / January 5, 2006 3:59 AM PST

The THX certification was about the only thing this receiver was lacking but I did not see it as a major issue. if I understand THX correctly, this is simply that this receiver does not meet certain standards set by THX. I have actually heard THX vs. non -THX receivers side by side. I honestly could not tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, the Yamaha 1600 is a great receiver but I liked the Denon sound just as much and I liked the features and the set up a little bit better. But you cannot go wrong with either one.

I have matched up the denon 3806 with the 60XBR and it is awesome. I also have a Denon 2910 DVD (great DVD).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.