TVs & Home Theaters forum

HDMI Selector Switch

by Jrflat / November 23, 2011 6:59 AM PST

Here is my problem, I recently bought a Roku player and my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have a Cable box, Blu-Ray player and now the Roku. Planning ahead for this I bought a HDMI selector switch on Amazon and $15. The product was advertised as an auto switch that would recognize the power change or signal change and switch itself. Since the Roku is apparently always on I hooked it up to the TV directly and then hooked the Blu-Ray and Cable box to the switch. Well the switch works when I select the different inputs right on the unit but does not automatically switch. This poses a problem since the switch is located behind the TV. There is also a high pitch buzz that appears to be coming from the unit or is feedback through the speakers, either way I had to disconnect it because it was giving me a headache.

I guess what I am looking for is if anyone has a suggestion for me as to where I can find a good quality selector switch that is automatic, I really want to keep my home theatre simple and if I add another remote that is going to drive my wife crazy and she will never use it.

Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Selector Switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Selector Switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Had the Roku.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Selector Switch

Now have a Logitech Revue. It was 99 bucks and has an HDMI input as well as the output so I can pass through another HDMI signal. The Revue beats the pants off my old Roku but the Roku has 1080 and the Revue is only 720.

But in the end the Revue had the last laugh as most content is 720 or less.

As to the switch, I opted for another non-automatic since I found the automatic ones to need me to touch them with devices that are always on.

Then again, I found all that gear being on 24x7 to be a power drain/waste. So I added this:

Collapse -
Anyone else?
by Jrflat / November 25, 2011 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Had the Roku.

We I am pretty happy with the Roku so far and it was a gift so I think I am going to stick with it at this point but thanks for your input.

Any one else had any luck with Hdmi switchs?

Collapse -
by Arcticbear84 / November 30, 2011 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Selector Switch

My setup is similar to yours.
I have a Comcast Cable Box, Panasonic Blu-Ray DVD Player, and a Apple TV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.