Samsung

General discussion

HDMI PS3 no signal

by smida02 / February 25, 2009 4:07 AM PST

I have a 50" DLP TV with DVI connections. Circa 2006 (don't have the model number). I use a mechanical switching box as the TV only has 1 DVI input. I have decent DVI cables with DVI-HDMI converters on one end. I have my Direct TV HD box and my Oppo upscaling DVD player plugged into the switch. I have had no problems for over a year now. I recently bought a PS3 and moved the Oppo to another room. The PS3 was working flawlessly from the start. Great picture, great sound Bluray and all. The switching box seemed to be fine too. The other day while watching TV I switched over to the PS3 and mysteriously got the "No Signal" message from the Samsung. I tried the PS3 using the supplied analog cables and it works fine through analog. So I unplugged it and plugged it into my computer monitor using DVI with the same HDMI converter plugged into that cable. The PS3 worked fine!!
This tells me that the PS3 is outputting fine in both analog and HDMI mode. I have tried turning the TV on first, turning the PS3 on first, holding the button down until I hear 2 beeps, not holding the button down. I tried hooking both cables to the Samsung booting the PS3 in analog and switching to HDMI - still the Samsung says "No Signal". I have read dozens of other posts where folks had similar issues with Samsung not detecting HDMI input but have yet to read a definitive solution.

Does anyone have a real solution to this problem? Please don't tell me to buy new cables as the PS3 was working flawlessly with the current cables. Also Direct TV & my Oppo all work fine with these cables.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI PS3 no signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI PS3 no signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without the switch?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 25, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI PS3 no signal

smida02,

Does the PS3 work when hooked up directly to the television's HDMI rather than the switch?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Nope
by smida02 / February 25, 2009 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Without the switch?

I tried that too, I took the input to TV out of the switch and plugged it into the PS3, same results. Although I can't swear I tried all the above listed permutations. The strangest thing is that it was working great for about a week.

Collapse -
Changed resolutions?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2009 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Nope

Is it possible that the output settings may be causing this? Try changing output settings and see if a different resolution might be better supported.

--HDTech

Collapse -
how?
by smida02 / February 26, 2009 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Changed resolutions?

Can you explain exactly how to do this? The menu choice I have been using asks you to pick your cable type first. I pick HDMI and it goes into a 30 second test before asking anything else. I switch the TV to HDMI input and get "No Signal". I switch back to analog & it is back at the test screen. I never get a chance to pick a resolution.

Collapse -
No idea...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 26, 2009 3:15 PM PST
In reply to: how?

smida02,

I don't have that working knowledge on PS3. But I do know that mode not supported is usually a result of a resolution issue that needs to be changed. How to do that? I'm just not sure.

Forum members?

--HDTech

Collapse -
PS3 HDMI Problem
by Tacomaman / February 27, 2009 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: No idea...

It seems that my HDMI problems all came from a bad cable. I replaced it and my PS3 HDMI problems have disappeared. For your problem do this. Go into the PS3 display settings and select HDMI, do not do a automatic setup do it manually, UNCHECK 1080P. Only check 480p,720p, 1080i. Try that. It also seems like the Samsung/PS3 HDMI problems occur when the PS3/TV are in 1080p mode. If this works you can live with it or get some new cables.......try monoprice to buy new cables. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by smida02 / February 27, 2009 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 HDMI Problem

I haven't been able to find the place where you can manually set the resolution. I go into setting, display setting and choose my cable type and then it try to do the test. How do I manually set the resolution? Sorry if I am being dense but I can't find it in the menu. Also, these exact cables worked perfectly for a week including Blue Ray movies with great picture. Do they just go bad while plugged into the system?

Collapse -
How to set Display Settings
by Tacomaman / February 27, 2009 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply
Collapse -
PS3 HDMI not rocognized LCD TV
by bolkiebasher / February 10, 2012 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: PS3 HDMI Problem

Thanks for you post. I Unchecked 1080P on the TV where the PS3 worked, and now it works on my other TV as well.

Collapse -
Same problem exactly
by Meez10 / February 16, 2014 9:38 AM PST

how did the document helped you? i have the same problem as yours but still with no solution.
No HDMI output from the PS3 no mattter what !!

Collapse -
hdmi no signal
by jake0070 / November 22, 2009 4:06 AM PST

make sure rgb leads yellow,red white are pluged into tv also make sure hdmi lead is plugged in goto video settings and goto the test signal page when you test signal it will be in rgb mode so goto the soure button on your remote and select the hdmi port you are plugged into and press ok. this should display the screen where you alter the settings and you have to click yes or no to change settings. once you do this it will ask what resalution you want once you have done this it should work ok.
it took me a while to figure this out on my samsung tv but once you do it the picture is excellent

Collapse -
No display
by Jimchman / January 16, 2010 2:11 AM PST

I had "check signal cable" come up on my tv for my ps3. After searching on google, i found all I had to do was to completely unplug power leads to both tv & ps3 for a couple of mins, then plug them back in.

Collapse -
SAME PROBLEM HERE
by NandoMesquita / January 26, 2011 10:39 AM PST

I have input my HDMI cable directly into the TVs HDMI's , still says " NO SIGNAL " what does this means? I have tried going in the TV's settings, but there isnt anything that could be changed about HMDI, the only thing that I could change was the CABLE or Components 1 and 2.

Is this a Sansung Problem?

My brother has a Sony Tv and it worked fine.

Thanks for your attention.

Collapse -
Keep researching
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2011 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM HERE

It's not funny that most of the time this is a Slim PS3.

Collapse -
NO SIGNAL THRU HDMI ON SAMSUNG PN50A450P1D
by 22ttaa / March 6, 2011 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM HERE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION TO THESE STEPS I TOOK?

PLASMA TV JUST CUT SIGNAL FROM DIRECT TV BOX AND DVD PLAYER.
RESET DIRECT TV BOX
TRIED ALL HDMI PORTS WITH ALL NEW HDMI CABLES.
GOT NO SIGNAL FROM COMPONENT CABLES(RGB).
GOT A SIGNAL FROM THE TV WITH COMPOSITE CABLES(RWY), BUT THAT LEAVES ME WITH NO HI-DEF.
INSTALLED FIRMWARE.
LET TV SIT UNPLUGGED.
PLAYED WITH ALL THE SETTINGS JUST IN CASE SOMETHING CHANGED ON ACCIDENT.

I GOT NOTHING.
i CAN STILL PLAY WII.

DID I MISS SOMETHING OR DO I JUST NEED TO REPLACE HDMI HARDWARE ON THE TV?

Collapse -
Samsung is the problem
by ecupirate13 / May 10, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

I have a Samsun tv that is'nt even a year old. I was switching my hdmi cable from my ps3 to my laptop and it did not pick up a signal although it recognized it was connected to something. I then hooked the hdmi cable back to my ps3 and yet again no signal. So I bought a new hdmi cable thinking that it was the problem. It worked perfectly until I tried hooking the hdmi cable to another device and it repeated itself. I tried resetting my ps3, unplugged both the tv and ps3 but nothing work. I tried my hdmi cable on another tv and it worked fine. So my conclusion is that samsung tv's can not handle a switch, so thats why I just bought a Vizio even though my samsung is not even a year old.

Collapse -
HDMI no signal fix
by the_ASSisstant / May 19, 2012 2:28 AM PDT

to fix it quickly, just connect the hdmi to your tv, then hold the power button (turning on the ps3) and keep holding until you hear a beep. Then release your finger, and wait.

Collapse -
Thanks
by booourns / October 27, 2012 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI no signal fix

This is exactly what worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.