Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI Problems on LN46A650

by DC5466 / July 31, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

I purchased a LN46A650 in late June and hooked it up to a new Scientific Atlanta RNG200 box from Comcast via HDMI at HDMI 1. The Comcast box is outputting at 1080i.

I also connected a Sony DAV-HDX275 DVD Changer/Audio systems through an HDMI cable (at HDMI 2) and ran the digital audio out from the TV to the Sony.

For 3+ weeks it worked perfectly.

Last week I added a Wii through component video 1 (not sure if this is related). Several days later, when switching back to HDMI 1 for TV (and when the Comcast RNG200 box was still outputting at 1080i), I began getting a "Mode Not Supported" message from the TV. There are no problems with the DVD player though.

I've updated the firmware on the TV and trawled the internet but didn't really see any answers that worked for me (I've tried resetting, changing cables out, etc.). While I can work around this issue by running the cable box to the TV via component video/audio, I'd like to get the HDMI working again.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Problems on LN46A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Problems on LN46A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI
by ice82 / August 8, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

There are still some handshake issues with HDMI.
Your better bet is to go with the component cables, but if you insist on HDMI, then I suggest you search for the tv receiver's compatibility with the Samsung.

Collapse -
Thanks and Update
by DC5466 / August 8, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

Thanks for the advice. I did some digging on the internet and found a post elsewhere (I believe Mr. Samsung was part of the chain) where someone replaced the box. Comcast gave me a new box and it works fine now.

Oddly, the old box worked on HDMI 4, but not on HDMI 1-3, when we tested it before swapping out.

Now hopefully it doesn't happen again (I was wondering if using the Wii had done something).

Collapse -
What is going to take to resolve the HDMI handshake issues?
by Georgia in MS / August 8, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI

I have a 550 and had trouble with HDMI port 1. Unfortunately, the Samsung authorized service people were going to take 2 weeks or so to replace the port or whatever needed to be done. I had only had the TV for 2 weeks, so Amazon sent me a replacement, which I had in 3 days.

Are we all jumping the gun going for the HDMI? Is that why they keep increasing the number of ports, so if one fails, another is available (asked tongue-in-cheek)?

Collapse -
Handshake Issues
by DC5466 / August 9, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

In your case I wonder if it is the handshake or something else? In my case as soon as we swapped the box, everything worked again. Did you try multiple HDMI input sources on port 1 to confirm it wasn't that one combination / try a different cable? (I'll assume yes, but have to ask). Also, did you flash your firmware with the newest TV firmware?

So many technology repairs - be it the electronics or cable, Fios or other fix - jump to "lets replace the component." I often wonder if it is just a software fix (for example, by doing a full reconfiguration of a cable box).

Collapse -
Port 1
by Georgia in MS / August 9, 2008 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Handshake Issues

On my 550, the port seemed to be bad with a reddish tint to the picture for about 20 seconds and then to a solid red screen.

I first thought it was the cable box. Cable One walked me thru all various checks without resolution. I tried three different HDMI cables (two different manufacturers) and no resolution. I totally unplugged everything to let all reset; no resolution. I decided to try using Ports 2 and 3 for the cable box connection. Ports 2 and 3 were perfect. Went back to Port 1, and the reddish picture for 20 seconds and solid red screen returned.

I mainly asked the handshake question because I keep reading the phrase of "HDMI handshake" throughout comments about HDMI problems in various forums.

Collapse -
Handshake
by DC5466 / August 9, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Port 1

I get it completely. I thought they had worked out a lot of the HDMI handshake issues at this point. I guess its part of the problem with shifting to an interoperable standard that allows devices to truly "communicate."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.