Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI problem with BD-C5500 and LG 47 LG3 LCD TV

by polojoburg / May 8, 2010 7:41 AM PDT

Hi there,
I bought today a Blu Ray BD = C5500 and can't get the HDMI working.

1: I get the welcome screen and tone when i start the player
2: Then the tv switches to a black screen

The only way I am able to go through the menus of the player is via the video port.
I tried different video settings but none of them works through the HDMI port.

Any guess on what I should do to fix the issue?

Thanks

Paul

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI problem with BD-C5500 and LG 47 LG3 LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI problem with BD-C5500 and LG 47 LG3 LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hdmi issue bd C5500
by polojoburg / May 8, 2010 6:34 PM PDT

Does anyone has had a similar issue with the HDMI?

What is strange is that i do get the welcome message from the player on my tv...
Should I bring the player back?

Collapse -
HDMI problem with BD-C5500 and LG 47 LG3 LCD TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 11, 2010 8:21 AM PDT

polojoburg,

Try connecting it with the composite cable (yellow) to the television, and then adjust the resolution in the player. Once you do that, then connect the HDMI to the TV and you should be able to get past the splash screen. The screen shows that the Blu-Ray player is booting, but the resolution isn't accepted by the TV - therefore, no picture is sent. Changing the resolution using the composite should solve that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
same problem
by zeetch / July 1, 2010 9:16 AM PDT

I have the exact same problem where I get the "splash screen" wiht the HDMI but then it goes to No Signal - then to black. I was just wondering if the samsungs tech suggestion worked for you? I tried it but with both the composite and the hdmi plugged in at the same time, is it possible that I have to do it wiht the hdmi unplugged adn then, plug it in after the resolution has been set? BTW I have a samsung HLR series 720p dlp tv if that makes a difference and will be selcting 720p as the resolution. Just need to know if this will work asap. I only have a few more days to return this to best buy, I already exchanged it once thinking the problem was with the individual player.

Collapse -
tried it, it didn't work
by zeetch / July 1, 2010 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I tried to turn the player on with only the composite hooked up, then change the resolution on the player before plugging in the hdmi. Then switching over to the hdmi to see if it would get me a picture .... same as before.. it didn't work, still a black screen and still if I turn off and on (while hooked up through hdmi) I get "splash screen" and jingle then to a blue "no signal" screen, then to black (while player says "load" then "no disc"). So I guess I'm asking if there is another way to make this work. I like the price of the player and the features, but I'd really hate to take it back just because I am doing something wrong in hooking it up. Any suggestions? BTW I never met an electonic device I couldn't hook up, I rewired my entire house (phone, cable, and electric - without the slightest problem), I've built computers from parts, hooked up home theatres with multiple components and never had a problem till now, maybe I'm just getting old and overlooking something obvious, but I'm not your average dum dum when it comes to electronics and I still can't get this to work after messing with every setting I could "test" ...... pls help if you can.

Collapse -
solution?
by pablogiorgini / November 3, 2010 4:43 AM PDT

hi zeetch

did you managed to solve this??

thanks!

Collapse -
HDMI Problem Samsung BD-C6500 with TV LG
by ANDREYCOELHO / October 30, 2010 4:42 AM PDT

I have the same problem, and I didn?t found any adjust resolution in the player. Samsung, could you help me?

Collapse -
HDMI Problem Samsung BD-C6500 with TV LG
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 30, 2010 10:49 AM PDT

ANDREYCOELHO,

The resolution adjust is available in the Setting menu.

Try connecting the player to the TV with the supplied composite (yellow video) cable to your TV's AV input. Then once you've switched the settings, change back to the HDMI input to see if you see the menu using the other input.

--HDTech

Collapse -
definitive solution?
by pablogiorgini / November 1, 2010 1:40 PM PDT

any chance that samsung release a firmware solution for this issue?

i have a 6900 with the same problem.

Collapse -
definitive solution?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: definitive solution?

pablogiorgini,

I don't even know if it's the TV with the issue, or the Blu-Ray. At this point, I don't have any further information.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Solution?
by pablogiorgini / November 3, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: definitive solution?

Sorry, didnt explain mi situation because i?m already tried all that is mention in this forum.

I have connected direct to SONY LCD 32" which support 720p. But, even if you set the resolution in 720 or less, the blank screen appear after reboot.

The only solution i found is have a disc inserted every time you turned on.

Also notice that with some You tube videos in full screen and some divx occurs the same. The movie is running because i can hear it but the the shows " no signal " or something
Also tried conecting with RCA cable composite with the same result.

Collapse -
Solution?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 4, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution?

pablogiorgini,

If both aren't working, it may be the player in this instance. Typically when audio comes through but video doesn't with HDMI, it indicates that the television isn't recognizing the Blu-Ray player with HDCP - required copy protection limitations. But that wouldn't happen with the video composite cable also since HDCP is for HD cable connections.

It may be that the Blu-Ray needs to be swapped or repaired.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you
by ANDREYCOELHO / November 3, 2010 8:47 PM PDT

Samsung, thank you!!! HDMI is working and Wi-Fi is working fine too.

Collapse -
Similar HDMI Issue with BD-C6500+Pana P42S2...PLEASE help!
by gcossick / December 1, 2010 2:46 PM PST

Dear Samsung Tech,

Got my BD-C6500 out of the box today and hit these same problems. Found and followed this thread because initially I could not see my DVD splash screen through HDMI connection. Like you said, I went to composite to see splash screen, changed res option to 480p, then switched over to HDMI input and could then see the splash screen on my TV through HDMI. I then selected 720p which then allowed me to turn deep color to off (it was greyed out before). That allowed me to then see a 1080p res option...which is where I'm now stuck. When I select 1080p res, the HDMI input flickers and screen goes blank for 15 seconds, then reverts back to the 720p option. This also happens when I try the Auto option. So, how can I get the settings menu to settle on 1080p? Also, if I play a blu-ray disc, is there a way to know/verify during playback that it's showing 1080p vs 720p? Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Collapse -
Similar HDMI Issue with BD-C6500+Pana P42S2...PLEASE help!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2010 3:03 PM PST

gcossick,

I'm a little confused. What model of TV do you have, and is it a 1080 resolution panel? If not, and it's a 720p resolution, it may be that the TV isn't accepting a higher resolution than 720p. Based on the description, that seems like the case.

The model number would be helpful.

In most cases, the television will allow you to see the incoming resolution and Hz. Not all models, but many do. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem with a complaint
by m8trix / January 28, 2011 10:06 AM PST

I have the same problem and hoping there is a firmware solution because the thought of taking down the TV from the wall mount every time I have to fix this problem is not something I look forward to. The question is there any news on an update that will solve this problem ?

Collapse -
Are you saying it doesn't stay fixed?
by earthling01d / January 29, 2011 5:41 AM PST

hmm.. I did my fix (see my other post earthling01d) and It has stayed working every since

Collapse -
Sadly no it did not
by m8trix / January 29, 2011 8:38 AM PST

Sadly It did not stay fixed. Matter of fact it was not taking the firmware updates also. So I think the whole unit was bad. But I was disappointed in the fact that when you used HDMI that the unit did not detect the TV and adjust itself in the first place. I bought a much cheaper brand name over a year ago and it operated as it was suppose to. I guess Samsung has some bugs to work out with this particular unit like most manufactures of electronic goods once and a while go through. Until then I had to settle for another brand with less features then that one had.

Collapse -
Solution?
by pablogiorgini / November 3, 2010 4:41 AM PDT

hi paul!
did you ever got a solution for this issue?

thanks!

Collapse -
Flickering Screen Fix
by Redman30 / November 26, 2010 9:24 AM PST

As the Samsung guy said, go to the settings on the blu-ray player and just turn off the Deep Color option and don't mess with the resolution. I also found that I didn't have to switch to the composite cable either and just fought through the flicker with the HDMI cable. I had this issue with a Sharp Aquos and it fix it right up. Good Luck all!

Collapse -
This fixed it for me
by earthling01d / December 1, 2010 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Flickering Screen Fix

Redman30 said "as the Samsung guy said..." yet I searched this thread and found no reference to "deep color" ... but I fiddled around and got mine to work:

First, connect through the composite video.. went into settings. Found the "deep color" setting, but it was set to "auto" and greyed out so I could not change it. I also noticed that the resolution was set to 1080i and there was no 1080p setting?!?!?!

So, I set to 720p, went to the hdmi input and there was the picture!

I then saw that I could now set the "deep color" setting, so I turned it off.

THEN, I had the option to go to 1080p, did that, and the image still worked!!!

Wow, I wonder how many of these things samsung is getting sent back! At least one from me.. that was ridiculous!

Collapse -
Still no good
by back31 / January 31, 2011 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: This fixed it for me

I have my BDC5500 connected to a Samsung UA32C4000 and after changing the resolution to 720p on my composite cables and swapping back to HDMI I still cannot get a picture to change the "deep color" setting. All I get is a "check signal cable" message on the screen. Composite cables get me a picture.

Does it matter I am only using a DVD disc and not blue ray?

Mr Samsung can you help me as I am using both your products with no HDMI success.

Collapse -
HDMI flicker
by mnhunter123 / December 5, 2010 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Flickering Screen Fix

Redman30
How did you resolve your HDMI flicker issue? I am having the same issue.

Collapse -
In response "HDMI flicker"
by Redman30 / December 5, 2010 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI flicker

mnhunter123,
I went to the settings on my blu-ray player and turned OFF the DEEP COLOR option but wether you will be able to do this or not through your HDMI cable I am not sure. It worked for me however. You could also try changing the option through your composite cable. The Samsung guy had said to basically change the resolution however that was not the fix for me. I did go under the settings and found that when I turn off the deep color option the flickering went away.

Here is some information about deep color-

http://www.abccables.com/info-deep-color.html

Collapse -
HDMI flicker
by the509 / December 11, 2010 4:12 PM PST

I had this screen HDMI flickering problem too with my LG 32LH40. I thought it was an electrical interference problem or cable problem. After trying unsuccefully to solve this, I started to mess around with the settings. I didn't thng that it would be the DEEP COLOR option as the setting to finally fix this. I was about to give up and return this player. Thanks to this forum for the help. Samsung should really turn this feature OFF by default.

Collapse -
Same problem - Solved
by AlteredBoot / April 30, 2011 3:49 AM PDT

This may or may not work for others but I figured I post my resolution for others

Same symptom
1: I get the welcome screen and tone when I start the player
2: Then the tv switches to a black screen

This fooled me into thinking HDMI cable was working. But after reading this thread, I thought I'd recheck

WHile unit was powered on and stuck with Black screen, I disconnected my HDMI and plugged it back in again. The screen displayed a message that it was awaiting approval to perform an update. I hit "yes", went through the motions and all was fine.

I'm guessing the welcome screen was fine (480) and usually the main screen is fine (1080) but there was something wonky about the resolution of the Perform Update request screen. SInce it was waiting on an input it wouldn't go to the Main screen, thereby fooling me into thinking my unit died.

Hope this helps someone

Collapse -
Same problem
by JOEYDEATH1 / September 10, 2011 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem - Solved

Samsung TV - Sony Blu Ray - Only get the spash screen using HDMI cable. Can see the Sony menu when using Yellow composite cable. Tried all above (shutting off deep color). Switching to a different resolution no luck. Is this a samsung issue or sony?
Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
If you can see it with Yellow Comp,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Then my bet is the player is setup incorrectly or it's a bad cable or port.
Bob

Collapse -
Same issue
by JOEYDEATH1 / September 10, 2011 12:11 PM PDT

That was my thought initially - so I went to Best Buy and purchased another (same model) it has the same exact issue.
The crazy thing is this, I was watching a dvd with the first DVD Player, put it on pause to get a drink and when I got back the screen was black on the TV and now no matter what when it is using the HDMI port I only get the splash screen unless I hook up the composite cable. Same thing on both units, I have tried switching HDMI ports on the TV and cables.

Collapse -
There's your best clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2011 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

So far, when I see output on the composite when I want HDMI the device that is outputting is at fault.

And it appears that you fixed it by swapping that unit.
Bob

Collapse -
perhaps I was not clear.
by JOEYDEATH1 / September 11, 2011 7:37 AM PDT

That is the thing - it is not fixed. I have the same problem on the new DVD unit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.