Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI Ports Fried on SAMSUNG LCD TV (LN46A750)

by cc103acs / June 10, 2009 10:31 PM PDT

An electrical storm hit my area two nights ago and, while there were not direct hits and no power outages I seem to have lost two of my four HDMI ports on my SAMSUNG LCD TV. While I have adjusted and am using the two remaining good ports have the following questions - is this difficult and expensive to fix? Do I unplug my HDMI cables every time a storm hits? If needed, can I expand my remaining two ports with a hub? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Ports Fried on SAMSUNG LCD TV (LN46A750)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Ports Fried on SAMSUNG LCD TV (LN46A750)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Surge Protector
by chrbelange / June 10, 2009 11:38 PM PDT

The first thing I would do is invest in a surge protector to avoid any problems like this in the future.

If you do end up buying one I would also suggest you ensure the 'Ground' light is lit up. Older homes (25+ years), don't usually have a ground on the electrical outlet.

I've seen many assume they were protected while never bothering to check whether the plug was actually grounded.

Collapse -
Got it
by cc103acs / June 11, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Surge Protector

That is what mystified me. I have a grounded and very expensive surge protector. Out of a COX DVR, a DVD Player, a SSS, and my SAMSUNG; the only thing that got zapped were the HDMI ports on the TV.

Collapse -
Got it
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2009 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it

cc103acs,

What I would do is call, if your unit is still under warranty, and explain that your HDMI ports don't seem to work. They may send out a technician to just replace the part that doesn't seem to work. It would be hard to determine that the storm was the cause of this (maybe?), so call in for a repair.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.