Samsung forum

General discussion

hdmi port issue with Samsung LED 6000 series, comcast HD/DVR

by schultzy73 / July 18, 2010 12:40 AM PDT

Just had an issue after 5 months of working without issue. Issue being this past week all 4 HDMI ports stopped working with my LED tv, the PS3 (connected to any hdmi port) works, HD/DVR--nothing. I have used 3 different HDMI cables, component cables, and 2 tv's hooked to this HD/DVR. I just returned (the other day) the HD/DVR for another unit, still nothing from Comcast, but PS3 works on all outputs. Comcast tech just left a few minutes ago and says something is up with my HDMI as both my Samsung LED 6000 series and a lower end 27 inch HDTV are not working ( realy ???? ). It just sounds odd to me that for 5 months I have had ZERO issues and now they (Comcast) are saying my HDMI ports are frying their HD/DVR's .. I am at a loss for their reasoning but can anyone explain to me how this could even remotely be ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hdmi port issue with Samsung LED 6000 series, comcast HD/DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hdmi port issue with Samsung LED 6000 series, comcast HD/DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hdmi port issue with Samsung LED 6000 series, comcast HD/DVR
by nbhavaraju / August 18, 2010 9:00 AM PDT

Hi,

Not sure if you still have this problem. I had the same problem and I reset the TV and that solved it. For doing a reset to default settings, just turn on the TV while pressing the exit button on the remote.

- Naresh

Collapse -
Samsung LED B6000 HDMI Issues
by colmaboy / February 23, 2011 3:44 AM PST

Here are several problems I have had and how they were corrected.

1) Every couple of months, the picture input going into HDMI 1 would also play (and override) the HDMI 2 input. This means that the same picture would play on both HDMI 1 & 2 inputs, although I had a different source connected to HDMI 2. The fix is to unplug the TV for a minute or so. Plug it back in and it fixes the issue.
2) This just happened recently and was a little more difficult to fix. 3 of the 4 HDMI inputs went dead. No matter what you pulgged into it, the screen was blank. I tried unplugging the power as stated above but it did not fix the problem. I then unplugged the power as well as all HDMI cabels going to the TV. This finally fixed the problem and all HDMI ports work!

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by shopping4samsung / June 8, 2011 6:09 AM PDT

After having my Samsung (7100 LED) TV for almost 18 months and no
problems at all, my Comcast Motorola DVR stopped working (no signal
message) on HDMI 1. Other devices I tried plugging in worked on this port so I did not think
it was the Samsung port not working. I also plugged my DVR into the other Samsung HDMI
ports (that were also working for other devices) and it did not work on
those ports either. I know my DVR was working overall, since I also have
a Component out to my Slingbox and that was still working. I also tried
using different HDMI cables and that did not fix the problem either. So
I concluded that it had to be the HDMI port on the DVR that had failed.

So
I swapped my DVR for a new one, hooked it up, and it worked, so I
thought problem solved. But 3 weeks later, it just happened again!!

So
it appears that either 1) the Samsung TV is frying the HDMI port on the
DVR (but not sure why it was fine for 18 months and now happened twice
in a month - thought the first time may have been a power surge issue
during a storm but 2nd one def was not), 2) the Samsung TV and DVR are
having an issue "handshaking" - on any port. Again not sure why this
would just start happening now (and if so, why a new DVR would have
fixed the problem).Any thoughts? I will try the solutions
mentioned above (the first time around, I did try the unplugging and
re-powering, but not the re-setting of the TV back to factory). Anyone
else have this issue? Samsung - thoughts??

Thanks.

Collapse -
Similar Problem -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 8, 2011 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problem

shopping4samsung,

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by panks0502 / February 20, 2012 11:34 PM PST

I have had the same problem too. Have changed the set top boxes thrice.
My Samsung LED digital board got changed. Now none of the 4 hdmi ports are working.
Did you find a solution to your problem?
Thanks

Collapse -
Similar Problem -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 21, 2012 1:58 AM PST

panks0502 -

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by panks0502 / February 21, 2012 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Similar Problem -

HdTech, no it didn't. Also switched off all mains, took out all wires and refitted them.
That didn help too. Had a Samsung Engineer come and take a look at it.
Said will have to put a new Digital Board to check where the problem is. Issue is
that a new board costs $110 and I had got one changed just 3 months back !!

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by panks0502 / February 27, 2012 12:40 PM PST

The HDMI ports on my Samsung TV stopped working. The digital board needs to change. Three months back the TV refused to switch on. Used to make a click sound every 5 seconds. At that time too the digital board was changed. The Samsung Enginener says that there is electricity running through my Earthing/Ground socket/wiring which is the reason why my TV and Set Top Box HDMI ports are getting fried. The local electrician says there is no current running through the earthing socket. I have 2 questions:

1. How do I check if there is current running through the Neutral or Earthing wiring ? I know it should. E through a multimeter, but where should the prongs be inserted? And what reading s should I be looking for ?

2. Will it help if I use a voltage stabiliser or a spike guard along with the TV and set top box?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.