PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HDMI output on graphics card

by BoonBeen / April 19, 2009 12:37 PM PDT

While researching recommended hardware for AVCHD editing on a PC, I came across a recommendation that the graphics card should support HDMI (I suppose having an HDMI output).
My question is, what are the advantages of having an HDMI output on the card? I know some folks like to connect an HDTV to the computer, but why else would you need this output?

thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI output on graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI output on graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In a sentence. Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2009 9:49 PM PDT

HDMI enables output of HDCP so that when or if you want to play Blue Ray or other such protected content then you won't encounter problems with HDCP.
Bob

Collapse -
HDCP
by BoonBeen / April 26, 2009 3:52 AM PDT

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm just starting out.....what is HDCP?

Collapse -
You can research that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2009 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: HDCP

Type that question at any search page.

Collapse -
Also this as well...
by JCitizen / April 24, 2009 2:04 PM PDT

The previous answer may relate to this as well as I don't yet know enough about that service; but to put it simply - I like HDMI graphics cards because I (can)get full 5.1 and 7.1 sound for my TV and theater system. See below about the (can):

Getting that sound to the theater system can be a trick though if your limited on inputs to the device. Many times, becuase of DRM issues(related to blu-ray and cable recording), the HTS will only have one or two audio input devices and it is usually better to intercept the audio as early as possible.

If you use the PC speaker system to turn your PC into a theater system, then it probably wont be a problem, but if you preferr a separate HTS device with a DVD player they it can get tricky. Most only have one laser input and maybe a iPod or digital RCA input and the last two may not provide full HD sound quality.

You could put another high end audio card with component or laser output, but be forwarned certain devices can initiate DRM trips if the software, hardware, or cable device thinks your trying to "steal" premium content.

I always tell folks to go to "thegreenbutton.com" to look at problems other folks have, so they can avoid the pitfalls and get exactly what they want. Carefull planning can avoid a lot of problems.

Fortunately my TV has a good enough sound system, I can forget about my HTS when playing content on my PC through HDMI, but the cable OEM settup with not allow me to put sound through the slightly better HTS and get true 7.1 sound. They won't even let me put a audio card in that could ship the sound to the HTS. I could use the very capable 7.1 ability of the onboard motherboard audio, but I already have a fancy HTS so I'm not worried about it, I can add speakers later if I get to playing my PC blu-ray a lot.

So far their isn't much blu-ray content in the stores that I really want to watch so that'll be the day!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.