TVs & Home Theaters

Question

HDMI out Receiver Problem

by Jared9876 / January 3, 2013 4:47 AM PST

Hey guys!

I just bought a Yamaha 371 Receiver and hooked everything up to my Samsung TV that is probably about 6 or 7 years old. It is a 720p DLP from roughly 2005/2006. I was going to reduce the amount of wires with this new receiver by running all of my video and audio cables to the receiver and then 1 HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. I tried doing this but I do not get any video output when I turn my TV to HDMI. Xbox, satellite, and blu ray are all blank. When I run the video cables into the TV and keep the audio cables in the receiver everything works fine but I constantly have to switch inputs on the TV.

I was thinking that the receiver would automatically switch video feeds for me and I could leave the TV on the HDMI input.

Also my TV is old and does not support ARC...can I not use the HDMI out from the receiver to the TV and have the Receiver switch video feeds for me if my TV does not support ARC.

I have done some research but I am still lost...thanks in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI out Receiver Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI out Receiver Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
ARC. I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:57 AM PST

ARC is for audio return and it might save us from using an optical or other audio connection from the TV to the receiver but your seasoned installer installs the optical cable because ARC is never a sure thing.

As to the auto switching, I've yet to find any system do that. I know folk want it.

If the HDMI pass through is failing that's something to discuss but the TV is only 720 so it's possible that we have to tell all the gear to limit to 720. Your installer should do this for you.
Bob

Collapse -
HDMI Out
by Jared9876 / January 3, 2013 5:38 AM PST

Well I guess my next question is what is the HDMI out typically used for on an audio receiver?

Collapse -
what is the HDMI out typically used for on an audio receiver
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Out

It's used as the output to the HDTV. The receiver (better ones!) have a few HDMI inputs and you select that input with your receiver control that receiver control helps reduce the number of remotes we collect as we use that for source selection and volume control. Many folk opt for a Logitech Harmony to drive the remote controls down to one (the Harmony.)

I have a question. You don't have to answer. Most folk buy these from a store or such and are they giving you no answers?
Bob

Collapse -
by Jared9876 / January 3, 2013 6:04 AM PST

Thanks Bob...I bought this stuff online from amazon and I haven't had a new receiver in 10 years...thought I knew what these things were for...technology has definitely advanced in the last 10 Happy

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

Thanks for that. Explains a lot. Hopefully you sort it out soon without ending up with the usual dozen remote controls.
Bob

Collapse -
Try assigning inputs on the receiver
by Pepe7 / January 3, 2013 11:04 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

That's likely why you aren't seeing anything. Or, it could be you haven't told the HDTV which HDMI input your are using from the reciever.

Give us more details and we can troubleshoot for you if needed. Makes/models/etc,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.