Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI, optical, What is the best way to set up home theatre??

by mcallindz / December 10, 2008 9:56 PM PST

I need some serious help. The more I read the more confused I get. Everybody seems to sing the praises of HDMI on the net and then the installers say to use digital hook ups. I've got to many cooks in the kitchen over here.
1. Should I run all my equipment thru the receiver or should I hook up straight to the tv with a HDMI for video and optical for sound?
2. Will this give me HD-quality sound?

This is what I have to hook up. Please help

Samsung Ln52a650
Sony Blu ray bdp-350
Onkyo s5100 surround system (I think I need to upgrade to Onkyo 606)
Wii
Comcast DVR cable box
Sony upconverting DVD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI, optical, What is the best way to set up home theatre??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI, optical, What is the best way to set up home theatre??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI, optical, What is the best way to set up home theatre??
by MrParrott / December 10, 2008 11:12 PM PST

If your receiver can process the uncompressed audio formats
then by all means use the HDMI.

other wise go with the optical until you upgrade the receiver

Collapse -
Which receivers...
by mcallindz / December 11, 2008 11:41 PM PST

Do you or have you read of any receivers that are under a $1000.00 that can do this? I have been reading for weeks and I see that the Onkyou 606 is really popular, but I am wondering if going to the 706 or 806 is the way to go. Is it worth the extra money?

Collapse -
Good stuff...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2008 2:16 PM PST

Mr. Parrot has it right.

Some things to consider:

1. You can run your equipment through the receiver. Some receivers on occasion have some HDMI hiccups, which can vary from receivers. In most cases, that would be the ideal way to do it.
2. HD quality sound is not the proper term, and I say that not to insult you, but to inform you.

Audio can be analog or digital.

It can also be mono, stereo, or a flavor of surround sound, such as 5.1. If 5.1 is available, it adds to the overall experience of watching television or a movie, and for this reason, if you have the equipment, we try to get that feature used in as many applications as possible.

Here's how I would set this up, and again, this is open to speculation, disagreement or discussion.

Hook up:

Sony Blu-Ray to Onkyo
Sony Upconverting DVD to Onkyo
Comcast DVR to Onkyo (some DVRs experience issues, in which case, hook it up to the television)
Onkyo to Samsung LN52A650

As far as the Wii, from what I know, component cables will be your best bet because (as some Wii experts may be able to confirm or deny) that the Wii doesn't have HDMI, and has a standard definition output. I don't own one, and honestly haven't played with them, but that's the best information I have at the moment.

If it does support surround sound (something I also don't know), then you may want to hook it up to your Onkyo for that purpose. You can also hook it up to your TV, but since you'll be behind your Onkyo setting it up and you'll get better sound overall and probably a better ease of use.

Keep me posted, and I hope there are some Wii people out there who can clarify a few things.

--HDTech

Collapse -
wii to receiver
by MrParrott / December 11, 2008 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Good stuff...

I have our wii connected to the Onkyo 605 receiver
The video passes through to the television via the hdmi cable

my reason for having it set up this way is any audio signal will sound better coming through your stereo speakers than the speakers on the television

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestions, but....
by mcallindz / December 11, 2008 11:37 PM PST

But as I have read the 606 does not have good video processing. So to my understanding if I run HDMI to the onkyo the signal will not be as good compared to running it directly to the TV. I guess what I'm looking for is a receiver that will truly give me TRUEHD video and 7.1 audio thru the HDMI. I have read that on the audio side the only 7.1 source is going to come from a blu-ray. Is that correct? An if so can a digial optical cable support 7.1?

Collapse -
re-HDMI, optical, What is the best way to set up home theatr
by MrParrott / December 12, 2008 12:09 AM PST

I guess what I'm looking for is a receiver that will truly give me TRUEHD video and 7.1 audio thru the HDMI.

We have the Onkyo 605 and are very happy with it, the only downfall of it is it only has 2 HDMI inputs

I have read that on the audio side the only 7.1 source is going to come from a blu-ray. Is that correct?

As of now that is correct

An if so can a digial optical cable support 7.1?

No it can only pass through compressed 5.1 audio codec

Collapse -
Please excuse my ignorance...
by mcallindz / December 12, 2008 2:48 AM PST

What is compressed 5.1 audio codec?

Another question-

If I take a digital optical cable from the blu-ray, cable box, DVD, xbox to the reciever for audio and I take a HDMI from those same componets directly to the TV will that give me the best pic and sound. And if I do that I should be able to use the tv speakers when the receiver is not on. Right???

Collapse -
re-Please excuse my ignorance...
by MrParrott / December 12, 2008 3:31 AM PST

What is compressed 5.1 audio codec?

here is an article that explains the audio formats better than I can
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1233

Another question-

If I take a digital optical cable from the blu-ray, cable box, DVD, xbox to the reciever for audio and I take a HDMI from those same componets directly to the TV will that give me the best pic and sound. And if I do that I should be able to use the tv speakers when the receiver is not on. Right???

That setup will give you the best picture but not the best sound and yes you could use the television speakers with that setup

Collapse -
sound
by mcallindz / December 12, 2008 4:13 AM PST

So I assume then if I use the HDMI cables for both I will get the best audio possible, but I may lose something in the video processing unless I go with a more expensive receiver.....correct?

Collapse -
re- sound
by MrParrott / December 12, 2008 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: sound

I don't think you lose video signal using the 605 its just that there are only 2 HDMI inputs, if thats all you need then I would recommend the 605 if you need more then go with the 606 or the 706

I bought the 605 last year when I upgraded our home theater to 7.1
and we are very happy with it

Collapse -
FYI...
by MikeTheComputerGuy / December 23, 2008 11:57 AM PST

You do not need BOTH a Blu-Ray Player and an up-converting DVD player. The Blu-Ray player will up-convert standard DVDs to near HD quality.

As most modest Receivers only have 2 HDMI inputs, you're pretty well set if you're using a HD-DVR and a Blu-Ray player. HDMI carries both Audio and Video in Digital format, so don't listen to that sales rep saying you need to hook up a slew of cables.

The Wii only has component as it's best output so you're ok there. However, it does have Dolby Pro Logic II encoding for audio, so at least the audio is up to 7.1 channel capable.

Collapse -
thanks
by mcallindz / December 23, 2008 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: FYI...

The only problem is that the Blu ray wont play my burned DVD's and my other DVD player will.

Collapse -
onkyo-samsung HDMI issue
by rsaini02 / January 15, 2010 3:29 AM PST

Hi All,I am just connecting my new ONKYO receiver SR707 to my samsung LCD40' Series 6 via HDMI 3 cable but as soon as I put TV into HDMI input it search for a while and then displays image with smaller aspect ratio.This is when I choose any 480p to 1080i options in my receiver,while image is normal when choosen "through" but it is not the HD image.
Guide me if someone has faced such problem.I have gone thru the forum there is suggestion for firmware upgrade,it it right to go with it?

connection are: sat reciever-onkyo-samsung.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.