Samsung forum

General discussion

HDMI Input Issue - Only One Port Working

by Muldermj / December 14, 2009 10:43 AM PST

Greetings,

I'm hoping Anthony or any other forum member can provide some insight into my problem.
Here is my setup:
Samsung LN40B630 (Latest firmware)
Playstation 3 (Latest firmware)
Homebuilt PVR w/ MS Media Center

If I try to plug the PS3 or PVR into HDMI inputs #1, #2, or #3 I see "Searching For Signal" for a brief second then the it changes to "No Signal". Input #4 works with no problems at all.

Even stranger, if I plug the PS3 into #4, and the PVR into any other HDMI input, the PS3 output can be seen on both sources. It's as if it believes the single input is plugged into multiple ports. (vice-versa and the sources behave the same way)

Here's a kicker, everything worked fine for the last 3 months and this problem just surfaced today.

Here's my list of ideas tried thus far with no success:
Replace HDMI Cables
Reset output settings on the PS3
Reset output settings on the PVR
Reset video settings on the TV
Turn on/off TV and sources in various orders

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Input Issue - Only One Port Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Input Issue - Only One Port Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI Input Issue - Only One Port Working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 15, 2009 12:37 AM PST

Muldermj,

Well, it seems like you either looked through the forums, or spent a lot of time troubleshooting (or both!). Normally I'd think that "Searching for Signal" or "Not Supported Format" would be a resolution issue, but since you've tried that with no success, I have to admit that I'm stumped by the outcome. HDMI-4 may be an independent input - just a thought, though I'm unable to confirm that of course.

What I would suggest is having the unit serviced. Since it's a B-Series, that indicates a 2009 model, and you're likely under warranty still. I would definitely recommend registering your product online (which gives an additional 3 months of warranty coverage for U.S. customers), and then calling in and seeing if you can have your unit inspected and repaired.

If you'd like to try a home remedy situation, with the TV on, hold down the EXIT button, and you can reset your television to factory defaults. I would note, however, that if you had your television professionally calibrated, those settings will be gone.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Muldermj / December 15, 2009 7:13 AM PST

Anthony,

Thanks for the quick feedback this morning!

In a last ditch effort because nothing else was working I unplugged all HDMI sources from the TV, and left the TV power unplugged overnight. This morning I plugged in the TV power, powered it on, then plugged in each HDMI source. To my surprise, it was working again!

The only thing I can think of is a handshake issue sent the HDMI ports into a "confused" state and they stopped functioning properly. Regardless, I logged a Samsung service request and heard back from the service company by 9:00 am this morning. That's quick service!

I explained the problem and the owner of the service company recommended we replace the main board just to be sure.

To make a long story short, I got it working again but there is no clear reason as to why it occurred in the first place.

Collapse -
UNPLUGGED TV WORKED
by Willowgolf / June 5, 2014 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Thank you for the reply... I only unplugged my TV for 30 seconds and it worked. AWESOME.

Collapse -
Me too
by ttenn / December 17, 2009 10:36 AM PST

I have been having the same problem with my LN55B650 since the last firmware update. I have a technician coming on Monday (12/21) to service the TV. I have noticed that at least 3 others on this board have the same issue.

I tried the Exit button trick, have tried updating (downdating) to old firmware via USB and online - no relief.

Will try to unplug and leave off overnight....

Collapse -
Same Issue
by jman890 / February 17, 2010 4:06 AM PST

I have the same issue. I had the motherboard replaced (under warranty) on 1/26 and the problem started again last night (2/16). Only one HDMI port works (#2). I will try the suggestions and see if they work.

Collapse -
Fixed
by jman890 / February 17, 2010 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Same Issue

I tried the following.

* Factory reset - no change
* Upgrade Firmware - no change

I pulled the plug for a couple of hours and the problem was fixed. This is a strange issue. I hop Samsung fixes it with a firmware upgrade because it seems to be a software issue.

Collapse -
Same thing but HDMI 3
by MeiOokami / April 24, 2012 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

Thank You! For some reason unplugging the tv for only a half hour worked.

Collapse -
(NT) this works
by josfrombelgium / December 29, 2013 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed
Collapse -
Same issue
by visualechat / May 6, 2010 3:50 PM PDT

Hi

Did samsung ever get back to you about this issue?

I aslo have the exact same issue and just installed the latest firmware update....

Collapse -
same thing here!
by toecheese / May 16, 2010 10:34 AM PDT

Yes! Same exact thing here! Had the motherboard replaced 6 weeks ago under warranty and then the problem cleared up only to resurface again last night. The first time it happened, unplugging the TV overnight fixed it, but then that trick never worked again.

The only possibly related cause I can find is the first time I had the problem, it happened shortly after I started keeping a laptop hooked up to the TV's VGA input. Since the TV's motherboard replacement I had used the PC input only occasionally for a minute or two at a time. Then last night was the first time I used the PC input again for a few hours, and the problem reappeared immediately after. I don't know if it's just coincidence or if the PC is somehow frying the TV's circuits. Do any of you who are experiencing this issue also have a PC hooked up?

Here's my setup:

HDMI 1: Dish Network DVR
HDMI 2: Xbox 360
HDMI 3: Sony Blu-Ray
VGA: Compaq Laptop
Component 1: DVD player

Collapse -
firmware fix?
by toecheese / May 17, 2010 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: same thing here!

I read in another forum that some people with this problem had Samsung send them a new firmware update back in January that supposedly fixed the problem. I went online and found that there was indeed a newer January version of the firmware, version 1014 (my set had 1013 installed). Unfortunately before I could try the firmware I had already restored my HDMI ports by unplugging the set overnight, so I don't know if installing this firmware has really fixed the problem or if the issue going to reappear. Anyone else heard of or tried this firmware fix?

Samsung Tech, can you let us know what the story is?

Collapse -
firmware fix?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2010 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware fix?

toecheese,

From the firmware notes, besides adding a codec to Media Play:

This Firmware will correct the following phenomenons some units may experience.

. Intermittent Not Supported Mode when connecting with some Unit through HDMI.
. When viewing 1080i formatted signals through the Component Input,
the picture is intermittently jumping up and down.
. Intermittent No Sound on 1080p when connecting with some Unit through HDMI.
. When viewing 720p or 1080i formatted signals through the Component Input,
the picture is intermittently flickering.
. When viewing some resolution(720 x 1440i) signals with Set-Top Box,
''Not Supported Message'' may appear on the screen.

Why it would work intermittently after plugging in a different device isn't something I can explain. I can't determine if any problem is going to resurface or not.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same HDMI problems with my pn50b650
by Hfly1 / July 21, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware fix?

I had the same problem, HDMI ports not working, only HDMI/DVI port 2 working. I have a media center PC with and Invidia GS 8400 card and a bd-p1590 Samsung blu-ray player plugged in. The Samsung service rep replaced the main board and noted that the HDMI chip looked like it had gotten hot, because the painted lettering had faded significantly. This repair fixed the problem for about a week. Now ports 1 and 2 show the same input (whatever I have plugged in one shows on source 1 and 2) and ports 3 and 4 only show "no signal" regardless of what I plug into them. The TV recognizes when I turn on the blu-ray player because it changes to that source automatically, but if it is plugged into 3 or 4 it still shows "no signal". I updated to firmware version 1018 but that has not helped. Very frusterating. I've scheduled another service visit and will try the unplugging the TV power and then plugging the two sources back in as described in the other chain entitled "Samsung: HDMI Input Issue - Only One Port Working". The issues described in that chain are exacly the same, we may want to combine them.

Collapse -
Sorry, I mentioned the wrong post.
by Hfly1 / July 21, 2010 2:03 AM PDT

The other post with users having the same problem is actually "Samsung: Non Functioning HDMI port for SAMSUNG LN52B750"
Sorry for the mistake.

Collapse -
Recurrent issue
by ttenn / July 22, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

I have this issue. Approx once every 3 months or so, the TV will exhibit this behavior. I just unplug the power and all the HDMI cables and leave it overnight. The next morning, I plug everything back in and it works again.

At least there is a work-around. Yes, it is annoying, but the only time it interrupts me is if I am wanting to watch something that evening. I just ran some composite cables from the satelite receiver to the TV. SD only, but for that one night every 3 months, if I want to watch, it works.

I thought Samsung would have fixed this by now with a new firmware, but I guess not.

Collapse -
Unplugged TV plus rolled back drivers on media center pc OK!
by Hfly1 / July 29, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

I fixed the problem for now by unplugging my tv and then plugged it back in and adding the HDMI source components one by one. Now the TV shows both on the proper source ports and does not appear to be confused. To get the sound to work for my media center PC over the HDMI link I had to install the latest realtek and nvidia drivers for my media center pc from the HP website. I had newer drivers for both installed, but apparently they conflicted or did not play nice with my media center pc. I'm running an HP Pavilion Elite m9040n, a Samsung pn50b650 HDTV and a Samsung bd-p1590 blu-ray player. I'm not happy that the TV's HDMI processor is so finicky.

Collapse -
HDMI Lock-up
by Bowlsman1 / March 21, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

March,2011 Melbourne Australia 50" Plasma. Purchased December, 09

Had a similar problem with only one HDMI input ( #3 ) of the four working.
When other inputs were connected, whatever signal was working in #3 was replicated irrespective of the device being used.
To fix this I powered down everything overnight( unplugged at the supply ), also disconected all HDMI leads at the TV.
Following morning powered up the TV and added each input and powered them up individually. This fixed the problem.
Because my problem occurred 15 months after the original post above it appears this is a common lock up problem and the fix hopefully will work for others.

Collapse -
HDMI Lock up
by bigecols / May 24, 2011 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Lock-up

I'm having the same problem with a LN40B TV I can't view anything on HDMI 3 or 4 and my PS3 when I started using the HDMI input it shows the same on HDMI 3 or 4 and only HDMI 2 works

Collapse -
HDMI Lock-up
by Pob808 / August 25, 2011 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Lock up

Yup, same problem here with a LN40B TV. It has already had the boards replaced TWICE and it happened again early this week.

I have the following boxes connected:
- HDMI2 Sky TV
- HDMI3 PS3
- SCART - Wii

No matter what HDMI channel I select, I can only see the PS3's signal. I have to switch HDMI leads around to watch the Sky TV.

One thing I have noticed is that every time the fault has occurred after playing on the Wii for a while.

I'm going to try the 'power down and remove all the plugs' technique.

Since this kind of issue has been going on for a couple of years now, you'd think Samsung would've fixed it or at least acknowledge it as an issue. Everytime I contact them they send an engineer out.

Collapse -
HDMI Lockup
by Pob808 / August 26, 2011 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: HDMI Lock-up

Thanks very much for your tip. It worked for me.

Collapse -
Only one HDMI Input Works
by msdennison / November 12, 2011 8:01 AM PST

Add me to the list. Only one of my HDMI inputs were working last night. I've got Samsung LN55B650. I followed the routine of unplugging the power, unplug all HDMI cables and waiting ~ 10 minutes and it worked. What a hassle. I've got all 4 inputs filled normally.

One thing I noticed trough out the forum is a lot of us that have had this problem have a computer hooked up to it. I have a desktop type computer hooked up to HDMI/DVI 1. Wonder if this could be mor than coincidence? Seems like an HDMI signal would be an HDMI signal!

Hard to believe theres this much problems and Samsung isn't addressing it. Oh well, I guess I'll try Sony or LG next time. It's a shame because the picture quality is great, but if this becomes a frequent issue, it won't be worth it.

Collapse -
HDMI issue
by manny1105 / March 24, 2012 3:42 AM PDT

i wanted to thank muldermj for posting this resolution.
my cable box and apple tv registered "no signal" (slots 2 & 3 respectively)
Yet when i swapped the other HDMI cables into HDMI4 they worked fine. i had called my cable company and everything was fine on their end.
i followed the instructions by muldermj except i waited 10 minutes and this did the trick.
i unplugged all my hdmi cables, powered down my surge protector, waited 10 minutes, powered the surge protector back up, plugged all cables back in and voila!
hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by presidentqshl / July 6, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

Using a LN40B640R3FXZC. This TV dates back to 2009 I believe.

The problem occured for the 1st time this morning. My HDMI2/DVI signal (PS3) showed on all other HDMI ports, which means that when I wanted to use my cable TV on HDMI1, it didn't work.

I tried all you said, and nothing changed.

We just moved in a new house last week (12/07/01), so I thought that might have been related to that, but it is true that for the past 5 days, we've had a computer plugged in. We did have a computer plugged in for some time before and it never happened.

We played both Wii and PS3 last night.

Will unplug and re-plug today.

Just trying to help to find the causes here.

Collapse -
Same thing here again.
by benguise / July 22, 2012 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

Me too. Just found this issue yesterday. I got an AppleTV and hooked it up - same image on both HDMI ports. This issue really sucks because it isn't something you notice right away. I haven't added a new component for at least a year or more, so the TV could have malfunctioned a while ago. Friggin' expensive set, too.

Collapse -
Still having the same problem
by ttenn / November 22, 2012 9:04 AM PST

OK, it has been over three years (!!) since I first posted on this topic. Still, every three months or so it happens again. This is very frustrating. A simple unplug or reset would be easy, but I have to leave everything unplugged overnight, occasionally for 48 hours for it to reset.

Its not just my TV model. These forums show this happens across multiple Samsung models. Since Samsung can't fix this issue, or doesn't seem to want to fix it, I won't buy any more samsung products. When my three Samsung TVs, three Samsung Blu-Ray players, or any of my five Samsung Galaxy S phones die, they will get replaced by other brands. Its not just the TV. All of these devices have had different issues - none of which Samsung was willing to help with.

Collapse -
Still ongoing issue
by snky1987 / December 15, 2013 4:56 PM PST

I have same problem with my 42'' Samsung UE42F5000 Full HD LED TV after one year after buy.

This problem still seems to be ongoing after 4 years from first post. The sad thing is that Samsung always made top TV's with Sony and now they barely match with LG (with LG in little advance).

I like and I always liked Samsung TV's but I never had enough money to buy one. Now I did it and ... I regret a bit because my old LG TV's (I got two of them) works fine after 4 and 6 years of usage with 'zero' problems.

And question for Samsung team here if they will see this post:

"Is there any long term solution to solve this issue or just handshaking troubleshooting will still remain same ?"

Collapse -
Are you asking about?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2013 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Still ongoing issue

There is a design issue with the HDMI chips that may lock down and need the reset noted at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-3250177.html?tag=posts;msg3250177

This was a design decision made at Intel and while I think most disagree it was done for reasons covered in prior discussions.

I disagree that they did that too and given why they did it, I expect no resolution.
Bob

Collapse -
Similar issue
by Spitoon70 / December 29, 2013 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Still ongoing issue

I'm having a similar issue and it is driving me crazy.

I have a Samsung 50PNB530 (plasma tv), that has 3 HDMI inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI2/DVI, and HDMI 3)

In October my PS3 died. It had always been hooked up to HDMI2/DVI. When I fixed the PS3, I couldn't get it to connect to the TV via this input port. The TV would continually report either "Mode not Supported" or "No Signal". I tried everything and ended up purchasing the component cables for the PS3 and abandoning the HDMI2/DVI input for the time.

The PS3 has now died for good, and while I wait to purchase a PS4, I picked up a cheap Blu-Ray player (LG BP330) to get us through. Again, I tried to connect it to HDMI2/DVI and I'm getting the same symptoms.

After spending the last few hours messing with it, I'm stumped, but here are some interesting notes that may have some information that might help...

When I first turn on the Blu-Ray player I see the LG splash screen (in 480p, I think), but it quickly goes away and I get the "No Signal" message. I can move the Blu-Ray player to HDMI 3 and it works fine. I can even manipulate the output resolution of the Blu-Ray player through 480, 720 and 1080 all on HDMI 3 without issue, but moving the cable to HDMI2/DVI always results in the "No Signal" message. I tried both "hot plugging", and changing the resolution on HDMI3, shutting down the player, moving the connection to HDMI2/DVI and then powering up the player again.

I was beginning to think that the HDMI2/DVI port was simply dead, however I just figured out that I can plug my laptop in with the same HDMI cable, and get a perfect 1080p (or 1080i, or 720p) image on the HDMI2/DVI port.

There is clearly something going on with the handshake between the player and the TV that I can't resolve. I tried unplugging the TV for 4 hours today and that didn't work. It's not just the handshake with the Blu-Ray player though...I can take the output from my PVR, working perfectly on HDMI1, and plug it into HDMI2/DVI and I get "No Signal", move it back to HDMI1 and it works perfectly.

Has anyone had any real success with anything on this issue????

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.