Computer Newbies forum

Question

HDMI input and output

by seasider113 / January 21, 2012 6:48 PM PST

I am getting a new desktop and want advice.Do I need HDMI input and output.What would they be used for?Obviously I am a complete novice.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI input and output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI input and output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Another port
by Willy / March 19, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI input and output

HDMI ports are becoming the "goto" ports for modern future PCs. It just makes it possible to use any benefits it provides and it is a std. that's accepted and makers understand. Cables are aplenty and overall many users do connect to home TVs will become a more desirable port as in "generic" for connections. So, expect to see more of this as time goes.

tada -----Willy Happy

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Generally
by lacsr / January 21, 2012 8:40 PM PST

HDMI are usually outputs from the video card and allow connections to TV or other devices for High Definition video and audio signals. The intended use of the new desktop will dictate whether that is needed or even a point of consideration. Normally HDMI is not used by the monitor but could possibly be used if the intended monitor is a TV.

Collapse -
HDMI for monitors
by EscapePod / January 28, 2012 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Generally

lacsr is correct about using the HDMI output of the PC to modern HiDef TVs. However, several late model PC monitors also use HDMI for their digital input because the connectors take less space on the monitor's terminal block than the older DVI digital connectors. These monitors just don't use the sound pinouts.
Additionally, the HDMI cables are cheaper and easier to find than the DVI cables these days.

Collapse -
Answer
Do you need HDMI?
by ChuckT / January 23, 2012 8:45 AM PST

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the current hot way of connecting audio and video devices with a single, bi-directional (both sides can talk to each other) small (a lot smaller than most other connectors) and very fast interface.

Collapse -
Answer
get it
by haugs / March 17, 2012 11:18 PM PDT

The plain and simple fact is if you do not get it on the pc you will regret it. I have had a few pc's and since hdmi has come out i've regretted not having it on all pc's, so get it trust me!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.