Hdmi help please

by Vusa360 / August 20, 2014 3:01 AM PDT

HI all.
I have finally got my computer running with a build of

Gigabyte Geforce gtx 770 windforce 3c oc 4gb
AMD FX8 8350
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Corsair RM1000

And I now all the ports on the graphic card work so I thought I would connect it to my TV with a 1.4a 5m hdmi cable. I also know the port on my TV works and the cable works since I have separately tested these.
However there was no signal going through to my TV.
Does anyone have any idea on how to get it to work or any idea on why it not working?
Thanks, Dan

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hdmi help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hdmi help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
All ports?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Hdmi help please
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125466&Tpk=CNET

OK, I see 4 ports but like many cards only 2 at a time may be active. Another fine mess is that the video card setting may need to be compatible with the TV. But for me I usually can boot safe mode to get that working HOWEVER when I read your claim of all video card ports working I worry. That is, if the other than the HDMI ports are connected well, the HDMI may be inactive.
Bob
Collapse -
Hmmm....
by Vusa360 / August 20, 2014 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: All ports?

Hi Bob.
I just tried a shorter one meter cable by moving my pc out right next to the tv and it worked fine. However my 5 meter will still not work with my pc. However when I pluggede my laptop into it, the 5m hdmi cable worked fine. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
All that tells us is that the cable length is too long.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm....

HDMI distances are a twitchy thing. Try other cables or HDMI extenders.
Bob

Collapse -
Stuff happens
by Willy / August 20, 2014 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm....

HDMI cable length will determine the quality of signal as distance is increased. You in effect proved that, so why fight it. Get another cable and QUALITY does matter here. The cheapest cable may not do well when length is involved, thus a reason for higher cost. Yes, the PC's own HDMI port electronics may help in "pushing" a signal for some distance due to its make-up but that can also degrade overtime if pushing its extremes. Alas, you may have a bad 15m cable, try flexing now and then and see if things change. Also, there are various HDMI versions out there, see link.

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank You
by Vusa360 / August 21, 2014 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Stuff happens

Today I went out and bought a new higher quality cable and it works. It still eludes me to as why my other cable works with my laptop and not my computer but nevertheless all is well now
Thank you, Dan

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.