TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

hdmi help please

by mmurray7043 / December 17, 2005 10:42 AM PST

i have a sony 70 series upscale dvd player and a 52in rca tv from walmart- i got a dish network cable that has hdmi connection on one side and dvi connection on the other , i hear about a hdmi-dvi adapter and was wondering if this cable is the proper cable to use here. my picture is no better than the regular dvd i had. i set it on all resolution settings and notice no difference between them. my picture has like a black fuzz in the background anyone know how to fix this???????????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hdmi help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hdmi help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you are getting video then...
by Art / December 17, 2005 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: hdmi help please

I think the cable is the correct one, otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten anything. As for the black fuzz (I just can't picture it in my head what you are talking about).

I have a Samsung upconverter, using a dvi cable with an adapter; and the only time I have video is when the resolution is set at 480p. I suspect my tv just cannot handle 720 or 1080. I consult the manual (but nothing!). Anyway, a little more experimentation is needed, hehe.

Collapse -
getting video on all resolutions
by mmurray7043 / December 17, 2005 10:04 PM PST

no matter what res. i put the dvd to i get picture, but it is not making any difference in my picture quality. it is just fuzzy in the background and my regular dvd does the same. do you notice any difference in your ppic. from the upscaler?

Collapse -
Yes I do notice a differrence.
by Art / December 18, 2005 2:46 AM PST

The material I am viewing is not the best ; If I sit about 10 feets away there doesn't seem to that much difference, but if get very close (2-3ft.) then I notice there are some artifacts with component connection but look ok with the upconverter (of coaurse I am not sure if that's due to the difference between the component connection and the hdmi/dvi connection). I need a little more experimentation to find out.

Collapse -
RCA settings?
by sirroundsound / December 18, 2005 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: hdmi help please

You don't mention anything about settings on your TV, or even if it is capable of high res pictures.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.