TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI Connection w/ Time Warner's Scientific Atlantic 4250HDC

by Bennett Parker / November 8, 2007 7:42 AM PST

Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

I have a brand new Panasonic 50PZ700U and have Time Warner's 4250 HDC STB. For whatever reason, the HDMI signal keeps going out and T-W's only solution is connecting with Component cables, which although works fine, is not what I wanted to do. When the HDMI cable is hooked up to the TV and the box is re-booted, all I get is a blank screen. I have taken 2 boxes back thinking that it is a bad box, and I have also replaced the HDMI cord (actually Circuit City replaced at no charge after the T-W told me it had to be the HDMI cord, since everything else on box checks out

Any suggestions on why I might be getting only a blank screen when hooked up to HDMI? It worked when we first had it installed, but nothing now.

Thanks again for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Connection w/ Time Warner's Scientific Atlantic 4250HDC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Connection w/ Time Warner's Scientific Atlantic 4250HDC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long are you waiting?
by 808IUFan / November 8, 2007 8:52 AM PST

It takes approximately 5-7 minutes for an OCAP box (yours is) to reboot. You will probably see L-13, L-12, etc until you get to L-1 and then the time will display. You should NOT touch the box or try to turn it on until you see the countdown go all the way down and the time display. You can turn your TV on and you will see the same display.

Collapse -
Have successfully rebooted several times
by Bennett Parker / November 8, 2007 9:30 AM PST

thanks for response.......have already sat through re-booting process several times. but when itm is finished and time of day shows on picture.....Interestingly enough, I dont't even see the countdown on the TV, only the box...........NO picture during re-boot as well as after......any thoughts?

Collapse -
just a new TV?
by 808IUFan / November 8, 2007 9:41 AM PST

Have you ever seen a picture? This is a location you had before and just a new TV? How is the box hooked to the TV? Doesnt sound like you have the right source chosen if you have no picture at all.

Collapse -
Yes ....A new TV
by Bennett Parker / November 8, 2007 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: just a new TV?

I agree that it sounds like I had the wrong input selected.....The T-W box is attached to HDMI1 and that is the input that I have chosen.....adn yes; it did work for a while ...but nothing now...

Collapse -
by 808IUFan / November 8, 2007 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: Yes ....A new TV

Do you ever see the correct time on the box? If you hook the cable directly to the TV do you get a picture?

Collapse -
by Bennett Parker / November 8, 2007 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: time

Time is correct but no picture

Collapse -
about the HDMI cable
by gabereyes / November 8, 2007 1:08 PM PST

how long is it, and who makes it?

Collapse -
by Bennett Parker / November 8, 2007 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: about the HDMI cable

HDMI cord is 4 ft model and came from Circuit city....same place the TV came from

Collapse -
by 808IUFan / November 9, 2007 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: cord

I would make sure you have the correct source chosen on the TV. If the correct time is there and the box is on, try changing between a non HD channel and a HD one and see if the 480, 720, 1080 indicator above the time changes. If it does, the box is working fine. You are not seeing the pic on the TV cause you have the wrong source hooked to the TV or Chosen.

Collapse -
I could be wrong about this...
by stuntman_mike / November 9, 2007 3:11 AM PST

but I don't think I am. I think that it is the box.

My brother works for Time Warner, and he told me about their new boxes and how they have all kinds of issues when used through HDMI. From issues like yours, to the TV being displayed in normal aspect ratio (4:3) even on HD broadcasts, and having the options to change aspect ratio say that that action is not supported when you change it.

He told me that it will work fine through component, just like in your case, but I would not be happy with that anymore than you.

I had told him that I wanted one of the new boxes, just because it was new, and he told me not to get one until they work the kinks out.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Time Warner is also aware of this issue as all of the techs have made them aware. Hopefully when enough people complain about not being able to watch via HDMI they will address it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I think your best bet is to get your hands on a Scientific HD3000.

Good luck

Collapse -
I work for TW tho
by 808IUFan / November 9, 2007 6:46 AM PST

I have 3 of issues..all HDMI. What we need to know is if there is signal at that location and whether it is good. Sometimes the time will display but if the signal isnt strong enough the box will not boot up. Have been going back and forth with this issue but it is hard to cover everything like this. Did we ever find out if the cable wire is hooked directly to the TV if it has a picture? Has cable ever worked at this location. Did he split the cable and run it a long distance to where this box is?

Collapse -
this may help
by gabereyes / November 9, 2007 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: I work for TW tho

unplug the cable from the box and hook it straght to the TV to make sure the coax cable and tip is working.

Collapse -
never mind that last post
by gabereyes / November 9, 2007 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: I work for TW tho

if it works with compnent the box should be working fine, it an HDMI problem, you might try a better HDMI cable, you never said what name brand you had.

Collapse -
TW has found
by 808IUFan / November 10, 2007 1:32 AM PST

That a lot of new TVs have a needed firmware update to make them work. After you try a different HDMI, make sure its no more than 6 ft, try to call the TV manufacturer to see if there is a firmware update. If their is, they will mail you a device to install it.

Collapse -
HDMI Cable
by johnnyblack87 / November 10, 2007 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: TW has found

Try a higher end cable. If that doesn't fix it, stick with the cable, it'll be better in the long run anyways. The tv itself has settings labeled "EZ Sync." Check those and see if there's anything conflicting. If that doesn't work, find some cheap component cables and hook both the HDMI and component up. Reboot completely, and then switch back and forth b/t HDMI1 and whichever component input you use. If the component is showing, and the HDMI is not, AND you're absolutely positive that it is NOT the box (test another HDMI source on the TV, or pull a box from another room and test that one), take the TV back where you got it, see if they can repair or replace that TV.

Collapse -
I am quite familar with this problem
by CornerStone__ / December 5, 2007 1:00 PM PST

Okay so initial the box could not handle hdmi, firware updates came out for the box that was supposed to enable the hdmi, but didn't. 1st time I called tw they said Nov 21, then Dec 1 now it's the 6th and hdmi doesn't work. Okay to make things more difficult my work tv uses same box and tw but works with a 10 dollar hdmi cable? wtf? Use component for now and just hope they come up with an update.

Collapse -
by ucinn / November 29, 2008 5:01 AM PST

The problem I am having is that it won't show the non HD channels using the HDMI.. just the HD channels come through. My one downstairs which is the DVR works on all channels but not this box. Anyone run across this?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.