TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

by wprice620 / February 23, 2007 2:03 AM PST

Just purchased my PX 600.
I am connecting it to my Time Warner Scientific Altanta 8300HD DVR
via component cables and everything looks good.

wanted to take advantage of the 2 HDMI inputs on the TV.

When I connect the cable box to the TV I do not get a signal.

Also, the setup features on the Cable Box do not respond.

Any ideas for resetting to get the cable box and the TV to talk to each other?

I am suspicious as the TV manual talks about getting all of your other panasonic components to talk to each other via HDMI, but there is little or no clear documentation about connecting cable source to TV via HDMI

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI CONNECTION PROBLEMS with PANASONIC TH-42PX600U
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI CONNECTION PROBLEMS with PANASONIC TH-42PX600U
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Own The Same TV
by EXCON / February 23, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Dumb Question: Did you go into your on screen munu and make certain your source is either HDMI1 or HDMI2? If the tv is not set to the proper source you ain't gonna see a damn thing. I have my TIVO connected to the HDMI2 connection and it works flawlessly.

Collapse -
yep, i've got the right input selected
by wprice620 / February 23, 2007 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: I Own The Same TV

Thanks. Yes I do have it set to my HDMI 1 connection and I've set the onscreen choice for 'cntrl with HDMI' to 'off'.

I think it also may be a handshake problem with my Scientific Atlanta Settop. I will be doing a reboot later on the settop to see what happens.

Other than that I really like the TV after 2 days. How about you? Do you have your Cable/Satellite hookup connected via HDMI or component?

If you look at the setup instructions in the maual it is strange that Panasonic only gives you the component or S video connections and not HDMI. HDMI is only addressed when hooking up other panasonic devices such as receiver or DVD so they talk to each other easier...

Thanks for your time..

Collapse -
Outstanding TV
by EXCON / February 25, 2007 10:29 PM PST

I actually bought 2 of them! For $1299.00 they are by far the BEST PLASMA FOR THE MONEY. The only PLASMA that beats it is the Pioneer at almost double the price. My sets are connected using HDMI directly from my SERIES 3 HDTIVO to the HDMI2 input. There was no problem whatsoever. Simply "plug n play" and simply adjust the set to the HDMI2 source.

Collapse -
problem solved?
by wprice620 / February 25, 2007 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Outstanding TV

A week into my purchase I'd have to say the Panni has met my expectations...

Regarding the seems that only the brodcast input is a problem, but not other devices.

With a suggestion from another forum, I think I solved this problem:

I've set the input options from the menu of my cable box to recieve only 1080i signals. (I eliminated 480P, 720P) from my choices.

By doing this, It looks like I've retained my PQ but eliminated the lag time of swicthing channels when surfing...

Collapse -
by Riverledge / February 26, 2007 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: problem solved?

THE PANNY 600Us have a slot for one.

Collapse -
Panny's Brightness
by Lovie 1 / February 26, 2007 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: problem solved?

I just purchased the 600U and have noticed that the reds/yellows are really bright. I have tried adjusting the numbers recommended, +22,(picture) +8 (brightness) on the warm setting and still find the colors too much on a few channels. I have also noticed a little artifacting during a basketball game when the players are in fast motion. Tech people have informed me that HD is not the same quality from station to station, but I do not know if I can wait until 2009 for more improvement. My cable company is comcast and I live in an apartment building so I am not sure if this is contributing to the less than stellar reception. The cable company assured me that there would be squares appearing on my screen if there was in fact a signal problem. Also, I am not thrilled about the pastiness. When I watched the academy awards once the camera panned out to the audience many of the faces were pasty/clay looking. I am ready to return the tv and plug in my old faithful tube tv.

Collapse -
Sharpness? Firmware Updated?
by NewsyL / February 26, 2007 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Panny's Brightness
Collapse -
Picture quality
by Lovie 1 / March 6, 2007 11:20 AM PST

I have noticed that during outdoor scenes a small line of small color circles appear under light areas like sunlight for example. The circles appear for about 3 seconds and disappear. Also, when watching a DVD I noticed that a tree had white circles attached to the leaves during an outdoor scene. A Panasonic technician checked it out and stated that this is normal for plasmas because the camera is focused on an individual so the light on the tree is reflected by the camera. Is this true or does my tv require repair. Also, can a tech person do the firmware update.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / March 6, 2007 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Panny's Brightness

tRY SETTING TEMP TO COOL THIS IS A PEREFECT SETTING ON MY T.V. nOT SURE ABOUT YOUR T.V. Ut seems so many folks have many problems with off brand t.v.sPlease dont get mad Iam not bashing your t.v. but every off brand I have seen really seems to have picture problems It seems the worst problem is with s.d. thats when they really look bad If you can try exchanging it for a major brand you wont be sorry steweee

Collapse -
Handshake problem
by dscorpio67 / February 26, 2007 12:01 AM PST

I also have no connectivity/ low signal from my Direct TV hd dvr when connected through either HDMI1 or HDMI2 I have a Samsung HLS6767W DLP 1080p. I was able to get 480p with the previous HD receiver, but once we upgraded (ha) to the hd dvr I can't get anything. So I now use component and all is fine. Who know until the entire industry get's their **** together and on the same sheet of music, it will be a flip of a coin if the equipment we buy works or not!

Collapse -
still say go with component...
by tech fan / March 6, 2007 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: Handshake problem

I only sell component cables for cable services and recommend them even with sattelite to my clients. Almost every client who has insisted on hdmi with comcast or whomever comes back saying that the cable company told them their cable was bad, or the tv was bad when it is in fact the cable boxes. Just use component and be done with it. You lose nothing in quality, just headaches.

Collapse -
Component Cable
by Lovie 1 / March 7, 2007 8:13 PM PST

How do I hook up the component cable?

Collapse -
by Riverledge / March 9, 2007 11:08 AM PST

FOR ONE. NO MONTHLY CHARGE for the card, just basic installation. (& HD package.) Frees up an HDMI connecter. Ooops thought you had comcast, since you don't, call TIME-WARNER. See what they will do.!

Collapse -
Firmware updates
by Lovie 1 / March 9, 2007 12:33 PM PST

Is is necessary to get firmware updates?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.