TVs & Home Theaters

Question

HDMI Cable Options?

by eboettne / January 3, 2012 12:04 AM PST

I have just purchased a new Samsung 51" Plasma PN51D8000 television and was told be the Best Buy salesperson (who tried to sell me every accessory in BBY to go with the TV) that I needed a high end HDMI cable that was approx. $150 to get the optimum quality for playing PS3, watching blurays, and using the 3d feature.

My question is, is there a cheaper option? And do these cables make that big of a difference to my viewing experience?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI Cable Options?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI Cable Options?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A simple 6 foot HDMI cable works just fine
by Pepe7 / January 3, 2012 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Cable Options?

And it will set you back approximately $10-20 Wink

Collapse -
Answer
I agree with Pepe7 . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 3, 2012 10:42 PM PST

Digital is digital. Period. The markup on those high end (Monster) cables is as much as 200%. My local Home Depot sells GE brand HDMI cables with gold plated connectors for 10-20 bucks. The sites listed by Pepe7 are fine but I don't like to wait for something I can get locally.

Collapse -
Answer
Don't get fooled. The cheap HDMI cables seem to work great
by JRTL / January 6, 2012 12:57 PM PST

I've been using cheap $5 HDMI cables purchased from China off of eBay. They work perfectly. Same story for optical cables I've been using for more than a year now.

Collapse -
Answer
HDMI Cables (cheap vs pricey)
by Brechan / January 6, 2012 11:11 PM PST

While the folks over at BestBuy or Future Shop (or wherever you shop for your electronics) will try to coax you out of your hard-earned money to buy the latest and greatest (and subsequently, most expensive) HDMI cable in their store; I agree with the others, using a $150 HDMI cable is not going to produce any better results that using a $5 cable.

In June 2010; CNET published an article headlined " Quick Guide: HDMI and HDMI Cables - Which HDMI cable Should I buy? "
http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11276_7-226-3.html
" <i><b>CNET strongly recommends cheap HDMI cables widely available from
online retailers instead of the expensive counterparts sold in your
local electronics store. </b></i>"

In January of 2011; tested.com published an article on this same subject, and they came to the same conclusion: " there is no significant difference between the cheapest and most expensive cables with regard to color reproduction. "
http://www.tested.com/news/the-difference-between-cheap-and-expensive-hdmi-cables/3329/

Collapse -
Answer
They are lying to you
by eric61968 / January 10, 2012 3:42 AM PST

You are wasting your money buying any cable that costs more than 5 dollars. I bought 2 cables online right after Christmas for $2.98 each and I can't tell the difference in picture or sound quality. The only real difference in HDMI cables is the materials used in its construction. There are a few articles on this site that will tell you exactly what I just told you. Good luck and happy viewing.

Collapse -
Answer
high quality cables may be needed, but still are very cheap
by porsche10x / January 10, 2012 8:19 AM PST

There are different quality cables. A newer set that supports 3-D, deep color, etc., may require better cables. But, understand, the best high speed cables certifed to HDMI version 1.4b only cost $5. Longer cables are more critical and use thicker wire gauges, A six foot high-end cable at monoprice.com is $5, A twenty foot cable is less than $20. A fifty foot cable is $40.

Collapse -
(NT) Are Amazon Basic high speed cables sufficient for 3d?
by eboettne / January 10, 2012 11:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Since they are now HDMI 1.4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2012 11:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Don't waist your money.
by bullheadpond / January 18, 2012 12:07 AM PST

Most of it is hype. Some things they say about their cable specs are true when hooked up to
high end testing equipment but the naked eye will never know the difference.
You can buy Good quality HDMI cables a from this place for 15.00.

http://www.dnrdataconnection.com/productDetail.php?id=149&

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.