TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI audio coming through TV instead of surround sound

by jamiewagner / October 5, 2010 7:46 AM PDT

Any help is appreciated:

I have my HP DM4 laptop connected to the HDMI input on my Yamaha receiver, then I am running HDMI out of the receiver into my Dynex LCD tv. My receiver is sending the video to my TV but the audio is also coming out of my tv speakers rather than my surround sound speakers.

Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI audio coming through TV instead of surround sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI audio coming through TV instead of surround sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mute or turn down the HDTV audio to zero. Done. (n/t)
by Pepe7 / October 5, 2010 11:57 PM PDT

n/t

Collapse -
Try this one -
by audiovisualguru / October 6, 2010 4:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
LPCM audio output selection (96khz)
by tiltmonster / October 9, 2010 5:28 AM PDT

Look in your audio output settings(receiver) for LPCM OR PCM, and see if you have a setting for (96khz)...or other setting, that might change the output for audio.
Hope I am not stepping on a thread here; but this is a question of interest to me, as I begin preparations for HD. I have a Denon AVR-589 Receiver. In the audio set-up..... under LPCM(output) there is a selection for 96khz and 48khz. I am wondering if this setting might change the output of audio, in some way(passing it through, instead of processing it) or redirecting the digital audio to coax or optical outputs? This might make the HDMI audio signal, bypass the receiver; or require optical/coax connections. Just a thought. Don't count out an audio setting. I have seen in various posts, on my receiver, that it does not process the HDMI audio signal; and needed the Optical or coax, to get HD sound. When I go to the Manuals in several locations; it does not indicate any limitations on the receiver processing the HDMI audio signal; only that the TV audio needed to be turned down. It also mentioned no audio through receiver HDMI, if you are using a DIV cable to the TV, instead of an HDMI. My manual, also says that I have a DTS 96khz processor. Hope this gives some direction, interested to know if it could be an audio setting.I don't have my HDMI input device(Blu Ray)yet; but contemplating this issue now. I am betting on this setting.

I have also read that the DTS(Digital theater sound) 96(KHZ)processor is able to process Blu-Ray Audio.......and that both DTS and True HD sound processors, are loss-less formats. Anyone know about these formats? Am I getting full Blu-Ray sound capability, from a 96khz processor, and setting?

Collapse -
DTS 96/24 is lossy, FWIW
by Pepe7 / October 11, 2010 4:02 AM PDT

Also, a single digital optical or digital coaxial cable cannot pass along either the DTS-HD or Dolby True HD signal. You would need HDMI or multi-channel analog cables & connections for that. [ See your other thread ;). ]

Collapse -
Begining to respect this reality
by tiltmonster / October 14, 2010 10:35 AM PDT

It seems like it would be possible; but I am sure there are physical dynamics to the design of the fiber cable. I am guessing the size of the fiber used, makes a huge difference. Just because something is possible; does not mean it is done that way. Fiber seems to handle a boatload of bandwith; but I can only guess what the limitations might be; to make HDMI and multi channel better, for uncompressed lossless signal. Got your other post Pedro; and think I am all set, with this aspect of my HT set-up.

To the original post. Do you know if your receiver processes HDMI, or does it say in the manual, that it is pass through only? If your receiver is like mine; there is no way to get the audio from the HDMI via the receiver. The HDMI may just be switched for convenience, and bypass the receiver processor circuitry completely. First step is to find out; if you don't know. If all of the set-up diagrams for your receiver manual, require additional audio connections(optical,coax,RCA) then your receiver likely does not process the HDMI audio. I am always in the intermediate stage of home theater. Then again, aint we all? Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.