TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI and Time Warner Cable

by Esw88 / September 27, 2005 4:53 AM PDT

I still have no sound when using my HDMI cable along with Time Warners Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box. Has anyone found the solution to this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI and Time Warner Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI and Time Warner Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Had The Exact Same Problem...
by Psych Doc / September 27, 2005 6:12 AM PDT

....After repeated calls to TW and going back to their Jamaica center to switch to another box because I thought the first one may have been broken, it finally turns out that "they don't yet fully support HDMI." I know this seems ridiculous but one supervisor told me that they didn't know if it would catch on as the industry standard for connections because of the price of the HDMI cords (usually about $100).

Well, it seems they now know they were wrong and that this type of connection is, indeed, very much the industry standard and I've been told that about Oct. or Nov. they'll be providing a software update to that box which will then fully support the HDMI connection. We'll see. With TW, I've learned never to trust what they say. But you never know.

Collapse -
You have to go into the menu to change the sound to on for..
by yogibm1 / May 1, 2006 2:44 PM PDT

HDMI only
Press settings...press A.....go to sound arrow right select HDMI and you are done.

The first box that I Hid just let me plug it right in. Second time I had the problem.

Collapse -
hey

Thank you!!! I have been looking on the internet for 2 hours trying to find the answer! Yay for audio!

Collapse -
I love you!!!!! worked like a charm
by white-elephant / September 6, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

I have talked to 3 time warner and 2 panasonic people and no one could help me , both are seding tech people to my house!!!! Thank you soooooo much , in 2 seconds I have a solution!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by jenkat1000 / November 18, 2007 2:51 AM PST

I've been about ready to throw my brand new $2000 TV out the window. Thank you for telling me what Sony and Time Warner couldn't. WTF? If we're all having this problem, why can't they provide proper tech support?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Yeah...their tech support should come to this forum, hehe.
by ahtoi / November 13, 2008 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: THANK YOU!

I feel so ashamed. I was a tech. before I retired from working 16 years ago.

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by cfam5 / February 27, 2009 6:17 AM PST

we were having the same problem, but instead of pushing "A" we pushed more options button... and it worked perfectly!! Thank you!!

Collapse -
TIme Warner Cable HDMI Issue
by scchemist / August 10, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

I am losing my mind. I just purchased a Phillips Model#42PFL3704D. I didnt have cable but the Wii worked fine and so did the antenna. So TWC comes and installs a Explorer 4250HDC box. NO SOUND but I have a picture. I went to my menu for my menu and the only options under AUDIO is digital. Is this the correct one. I am 2 seconds from calling the store I bought the tv from. The technician could not figure it out.

Collapse -
You probably should have start a new thread of your own.
by ahtoi / August 11, 2010 2:32 AM PDT

This thread is very old. But anyway, do you have other devices with a hdmi connection to the tv? If yes, does the sound work?

But to do away with all these hassle I would ask TWC to connect the box to the TV with component connection instead of hdmi. I am surprise that the technician left your home without satisfactory sound on the TV. So don't blame the TV yet. I tend to lean towards a bad cable box maybe.

Collapse -
More info
by Esw88 / September 27, 2005 8:30 AM PDT

I have had two boxes and they both didn't work. They told me on the phone, last week, that the problem has been fixed and i should bring my box in and ask for a 8300HD that has been updated. I went in to the Brooklyn center and they told me that the guy on the phone was in Canada, and he didn't know what he was talking about. All the 8300HD boxes are the same and they should work. I still have not found one that does.

Collapse -
This Is Exactly What I Mean About Time Warner....
by Psych Doc / September 27, 2005 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: More info

...One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. And, to make it worse, rather than just say they don't have a clue, they feel free to make it up as the go along. As I said above, I have been on the phone with supervisors repeatedly over this issue and the best information I can get is that they are aware of the problem, they are in the process of rectifying it and all current SA 8300HD boxes should be fully HDMI compatible withing the next 2-3 months.

Collapse -
New Information
by Esw88 / September 28, 2005 5:33 AM PDT

I called TW cable today and they told me that there is a new box, the 8320HD. This new box will support HDMI. They also tell me that my local service center has this box and I should go in and swap my 8300 for the new one. Of course, the lady at the service center did not know this yesterday. To be continued....

Collapse -
This is getting ridiculous!!!
by Esw88 / September 29, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: New Information

I went to Time Warner today to get the new 8320 box. Guess what, they never heard of it. Back to square one.

Collapse -
Like I Said, When They Don't Know Something, ...
by Psych Doc / September 29, 2005 5:24 AM PDT

...They just make it up.

Their staff is unbelievably poorly trained and they are very reluctant to redirect your call to their "broadband unit." If you can get thru to these guys you have a chance of hearing something that may make sense, otherwise, don't believe a word they say.

Collapse -
HDMI and Time Warner never work
by laichungleung / September 29, 2005 5:35 AM PDT

In my case, the audio never worked. They probably never will. The component is good, but the HDMI is just very clean. I turned on the caption and watch with HDMI with no audio. IT's kind of cool...just kidding.

Collapse -
Works for me
by minnmars / November 3, 2005 2:15 AM PST

picked up an 8300HD from the TWC Minneapolis Office on 10/27. I have an HDMI to DVI converter, and I'm getting Audio out over the coax (not optical) audio connection. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Whoops - guess I misunderstood
by minnmars / November 3, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me

I was assuming that you meant NO audio worked - not just the HDMI audio. Sorry.
:\

Collapse -
HDMI
by hgomez03 / December 12, 2005 2:27 AM PST

Guys, Its not that difficult. I own a Pioneer 4360 HD.

When you set it for HDMI, it will work with the 8300 Time Warner Cable box. However the audio has to be analog. SO plug in the audio from the time warner cable and set your plasma to receive the digital signal HDMI and Audio Analgog. Works great for me. Cant seem to tell too much of a difference between HDMI and COmposite though.

Collapse -
I gave up on a solution...
by rohanchristie / January 15, 2006 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI

I have had this problem for about a month now and finally gave up. I simply used the coax to my Pioneer Receiver and use the HDMI for pirture only. Time Warner has been advertising HDMI as both Audio and Video but I think its time they add a disclaimer that audio may not work.

Collapse -
Well yeah, but...
by MultiMuse / January 12, 2007 12:59 AM PST

HDMI is supposed to carry digital audio as well as video.
What's the point if you're going to lose the advantages of hi-res digital audio and a single cable, if you opt to use the antiquated inferior option of adding more cables to get the worst case analog audio? Those analog cables are also susceptible to RFI and EMI and can pick up a buzz from the power supplies or lines if routed too close to them. Digital audio doesn't have that worry and quality HDMI cables are usually far better shielded than old analog stereo audio cables.

Collapse -
HDMI sound with TW cable box
by TSUgal02 / January 31, 2009 11:56 AM PST

I have an HD DVR and finally figured out how to get it to work. In my settings for the cable box there was an option for devices. Inside there was an option for Audio:Digital Output and I had to choose HDMI in that menu. Once I did that it worked perfect. I do know that some people had to pull the plug on the DVR to get it to reboot and update before the settings were there.

Collapse -
A New Step
by gwyeth / October 2, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

I too am having the problem of dealing with TWC NYC to get audio through my hdmi connection. Just called Scientific Atlanta directly and they told me that TWC usually runs Pioneer software on the SA boxes which causes menu's not to match up the way SA meant them to. Hence the missing audio options on the settings menu that may fix the problem. They suggested I call Pioneer and try to convince them I have a Pioneer box to help in bypassing TWC non support of HDMI.

Collapse -
It Is Time Warner's Problem
by Esw88 / October 5, 2005 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: A New Step

I met someone in a PC Richards store on Saturday. I heard him ask the saleperson for a "Monster" HDMI cable, to replace the one he had. I asked him if his HDMI connection worked. He said yes, beautiful picture and great sound. He also had a Scientic Atlanta cable box, however, his cable company was Cablevision. Hence, TW needs to get their act straight.

Collapse -
T-W's Pronouncements About "What They're Doing" ...
by Psych Doc / October 5, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

...Are about as reliable as a weather report for two months from now.

Collapse -
HDMI Audio
by shabsxu / January 10, 2007 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: A New Step

I just got my HD DVR yesterday (SA), and the HDMI audio option was NOT there. Since I looked yesterday, I unplugged my HD DVR box a couple times, which forces a reset, and now the menu option is there, and this fixes the sound.

I believe on a hard reset, the box checks for upgrades. Also, I did talk to a TW customer support yesterday, and she sent some signal to my box to get my HDTV working. I would investigate both of these options.

GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
HDMI and TWC in NYC
by pmbasuk / October 6, 2005 2:44 PM PDT

I use an HDMI cable from my Time Warner cable box to my plasma TV. Last I checked on this (perhaps in May 2005), the only box TWC supports that has an HDMI is their DVR-cable box. But, I've got it all connected and it works just fine. Of course, you've got to pay for the DVR service and box. I walked into the TWC service center on East 23rd Street and exchanged the box I had for the HDMI supported one. I think I found out about this on their website but the folks in the service center seemed to know exactly what I was asking for when I arrived.

Collapse -
You must be lucky
by rohanchristie / January 15, 2006 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI and TWC in NYC

I have the HD DVR box from TWC-NYC and my audio through HDMI does not work. Furthermore their remote can't work my HDTV so I'm left with somewhat of a clutter of remotes.

Collapse -
HDMI and TW
by avalon2001 / October 6, 2005 11:07 PM PDT

I also had no sound using hdmi with TW HD box, but since I tried to run the audio through my receiver that is not digital, I thought that was the reason for no sound. No?

Collapse -
No audio with HDMI cable
by marke60 / October 23, 2005 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: HDMI and TW

Don't know if this has been covered or not, but it is my understanding that for HDMI to work it has to meet HDCP (High Def Copy Protection) standards. So, if you have your HDMI cable plugged in then none of the output audio or video jacks will work on your TV. that may explain why some people cannot get audio,

I'm wondering if I am using the TW HD-DVR if the HDMI port is disabled for the same reason? I have the HDMI cable hooked up, but the picture quality is not as good as it is on component.

Collapse -
Re:
by Esw88 / October 24, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

It is TW's problem. The same SA8300 works with Cablevision. On TW there are no audio choices in the menu.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.