TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4

by michael_thomas2 / February 22, 2010 10:46 AM PST

I've read up on the difference and I'm wondering which HDMI cable would be best for me. The price is similar at amazon.com, so I want to know if one is better for me than the other.

I just purchased a Samsung UN46B6000 - LEDLCD, 120hz. I will be running my digital cable box through it (Fios) and an eventual BluRay Player.

Is there an advantage of 1.4 over 1.3? Will my setup work with either cable equally well? Will 1.4 work at all on my set?

Thanks,
Mike

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unless your TV is HDMI 1.4 compliant its a waste.
by minimalist / February 22, 2010 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4

They are backwards compatible but you won;t get the benifits of 1.4 unless your Tv and blu-ray player support it. Given that many upcoming 3d blu-ray players will continue to use HDMI 1.3 I wouldn't worry about it.

Collapse -
Thanks
by michael_thomas2 / February 22, 2010 8:59 PM PST

Thanks for the quick reply. Since 1.4 is backwards compatible to 1.3 and since the price is almost identical, I'm leaning towards just getting the 1.4's.

Collapse -
(NT) Why?
by Coryphaeus / February 22, 2010 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
The person doesn't have a hdmi cable and...
by ahtoi / February 23, 2010 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

got to get one? hehe.

Collapse -
His mistake is typical . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 23, 2010 3:25 AM PST

99% of consumers don't understand digital, so the bigger number must be better. I see he's dropped to 1.3. Still over kill, what what can you say?

Collapse -
Crazy advice!
by bpl5000 / November 27, 2010 9:44 PM PST

Coryphasus, that is crazy advice! If he can get a 1.4 HDMI cable for about the same price, then of course he should do so. This way, if he someday upgrades his device to one that supports ethernet, then he has the capability to utilize it (unless he listens to you and purchases the 1.3 version). Why not go for "over kill" (which is really one word, not two... overkill) if the price is nearly the same? And by the way, this is a rhetorical question.

Collapse -
Crazy Advice bpi5000
by navajosnow / February 8, 2012 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Crazy advice!

Its okay to disagree friend, but being disagreeable? Not so much.

Collapse -
Unless you plan on replacing your TV anytime soon I wouldn't
by minimalist / February 22, 2010 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

bother.

Collapse -
Ok
by michael_thomas2 / February 23, 2010 1:46 AM PST

I'll go with the 1.3's. I use HDMI for my other TV (Samsung Plasma) and I'm impressed with the quality, but I suspect that they're 1.3 or lower.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Collapse -
Go for the 1.4!
by FiOS-Dave / February 26, 2010 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4

1.4 has Ethernet, Audio Return and either 2x or 4x resolution, depending on bit rate.
If the price is similar, you should go for the latest version. This will allow you to keep that cable if and when you upgtade your equipment in the future.

Dave

Collapse -
High Speed or High Speed with Ethernet
by Mediabridge / July 27, 2010 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Go for the 1.4!

Hello from Mediabridge Products,

We are a manufacturer and retailer of HDMI cables. There is much confusion in the market right now among consumers and retailers about the new HDMI spec. Cable companies are actually forbidden (http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/trademark_logo_pub.aspx) by HDMI to reference version numbers in any manner of marketing or advertising their cables.

We make both High Speed HDMI Cables and High Speed HDMI Cables with Ethernet. Both are compatible with 3D, 4k and Audio Return Channel. High Speed HDMI Cables did not change in the new spec. The new spec created the new cable ?High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet?, but that cable is not necessary for 3D, 4K, or Audio Return Channel.

We?d be happy to explain more if you like. You can give us a call or shoot us an email: 856-216-8222 or sales@mediabridgeproducts.com. Also, here is a link to the HDMI website 1.4 FAQ to explain a little further as well. http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq.aspx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.