TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HDMI 1.3 question

by okfireman / December 6, 2007 5:05 AM PST

If I use a PS3 as my blue ray player, which has hdmi 1.3, and my tv has HDMI 1.3 will it matter that my reciever does not have hdmi 1.3, or does my reciever need hdmi 1.3 as well?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDMI 1.3 question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDMI 1.3 question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) hdmi 1.3 is backwords compatable
by givemeaname / December 6, 2007 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI 1.3 question
Collapse -
None of it really matters lol...
by stuntman_mike / December 6, 2007 5:45 AM PST

You need 1.3 on the TV, 1.3 on the player, and also 1.3 color space on the source (Blu-ray, HD-DVD or game disc) to take advantage of it. Since there is currently no 1.3 content to be fed through the 1.3 inputs, it is no big deal.

Like the other poster said, 1.3 is backwards compatible so you don't have to worry about not getting a picture if one of the parts is the older spec.

Hypothetically though, if you did want to take advantage of the new color space, and there was 1.3 content available, then you would need your receivers HDMI's to also be 1.3 if you are running your components through the receiver and out to your TV. Which I am sure that you are or else it would make no sense to have a receiver with HDMI.

So the short answer is that yes you do need your receiver to have 1.3, but you don't need to worry about it until there is actually content to take advantage of the new spec.

I hope that makes sense lol.

Collapse -
dont forget lossless audio
by gabereyes / December 6, 2007 9:28 AM PST

it takes 1.3 to get dolby true HD and DTS HD from the PS3 to the reciever, so if you want this you will need a 1.3 reciever to get it.

This depends on how important sound quality is to you.

good luck.
gabe

Collapse -
I just posted this elsewhere, Gabe
by jostenmeat / December 6, 2007 10:17 AM PST

um... not quite. Not quite at all.

The only time you need 1.3 for audio is when the scenario plays out with ALL three of the following 1. DTS-HD Master Audio which... 2. cannot be unpacked in the player itself... 3. while having a receiver that can indeed unpack it. (And thats not even getting into smaller details).

HDMI v1.1 should be fine for:
1. TrueHD bitstreamed
2. TrueHD unpacked by player
3. DTS-HD HR bitstreamed
4. DTS-HD HR unpacked by player
5. DTS-HD MA unpacked by player
6. Uncompressed PCM track from player

So, I guess you are either 15% correct, or 85% incorrect.

Please spend some time before you keep misinforming and up-selling your clients. Im doing you a favor. Because this is just on-line banter, but there are some of us that run away very quickly when the salesman or installer knows less than the consumer.

Collapse -
ps3 and dolby truehd
by okfireman / December 6, 2007 12:31 PM PST

so as long as my ps3 can decode dolby true hd or other audio formats that are of hdmi 1.3 then my reciever can still play it even though it is not hdmi 1.3?

Collapse -
The whole system will not benefit from HDMI 1.3 enhancements
by NM_Bill / December 6, 2007 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: ps3 and dolby truehd

just because one element of the system has 1.3 capabilities. The backwards compatibility means everything can get plugged together. Like any chain, there will be a weakest link. Then there is real world implementation to consider. This is very complex & a challenge incorporating this new stuff for the component makers. With some time, review experience from good sources like C/NET, will reveal better vs. poorer units. And makers will integrate this stuff better too. The real brand name guys will tend to get it right much better than cheap, off brand stuff.

Collapse -
Regarding the PS3 and Dolby TrueHD
by ..ben / December 7, 2007 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: ps3 and dolby truehd

The PS3 internally decodes it, relieving the receiver's necessity to have HDMI 1.3. The PS3 will send 8-channel uncompressed PCM directly to the receiver, which has been a feature of HDMI since 1.0.

DTS HD-MA is a different story however, and unless Sony can create a software codec/unpacker/whatever, then you will need HDMI on your receiver because the two lossless audio formats require HDMI 1.3 for transport. But as stated above, Dolby TrueHD is taken care of on the PS3.

So, in sum, for the PS3, you need not worry about Dolby TrueHD, any track that is straight PCM (even 7.1), and you can still get a "core" 5.1 signal from DTS HD-MA in an enhanced 1.5Mbps bitstream (twice the bandwidth of regular DTS).

Best,
Ben

Collapse -
sorry I hear that from a yamaha rep
by gabereyes / December 6, 2007 12:58 PM PST

I guess I should have looked it up for my self.
this is what I found.

HDMI FAQ

Contents:
General HDMI Questions
Becoming an Adopter
HDMI Specifications
HDMI 1.3
Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines
Compliance Testing
Compatibility and Interoperability
Connectors and Cables
Content Protection
HDMI Government Mandates

General HDMI? Questions

Q. What is HDMI?
Q. Who supports HDMI?
Q. What are the advantages of HDMI over existing analog interfaces such as composite, S-Video and component video?
Q. What is the advantage of using HDMI over existing audio interfaces such as analog RCA connectors and digital SPDIF?
Q. What is the life expectancy of HDMI?
Q. How can a consumer identify which HDMI products support a specific feature, such as DVD Audio or Deep Color?

Q. What is HDMI?
HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first and only industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. By delivering crystal-clear, all-digital audio and video via a single cable, HDMI dramatically simplifies cabling and helps provide consumers with the highest-quality home theater experience. HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable.
HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable. It transmits all ATSC HDTV standards and supports 8-channel, 192kHz, uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless digital audio formats Dolby

Collapse -
opps sorry I didnt mean to paste the whole page
by gabereyes / December 6, 2007 1:16 PM PST

Can someone please remove my last post

sorry I got bad info from a rep, I should have looked it up my self.

this is what I found

lossless audio format over HDMI
To do this, consumers should ensure that their playback device (such as HD-DVD or Blu-ray player) is capable of decoding these new lossless Dolby & DTS audio formats into the PCM format on the HDMI output, and that the audio device (such as an A/V receiver) is capable of receiving multi-channel PCM audio over the HDMI inputs. Consult your user manual/product specification sheet to determine whether your device supports such PCM capabilities (we believe that nearly all HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will, but users should confirm this). Devices that support HDMI v1.3 and higher may also offer the option to transport the high definition audio formats as a compressed, encoded stream over HDMI so that the decoding function can be performed by the A/V receiver (whereas the above transport method has the playback device performing the decoding).

So with HDMI 1.3 you could get more control over each speaker and setting for room setup?
Im guessing its like my dvd audio player that hooks up with 6 channel pre-outs, the player decodes it and I have to set the speaker distance and db levels in the disc player vs doing it through the reciever?

and if so a hdmi 1.3 reciever will give you more option most of the time for distance, db level, bass managment, and using the calibrated mic settings, correct?

Plus do most receiver companys really say they can or cannot do PCM over HDMI 1.1 or 1.2?

I dont like being wrong, so please help me.

thanks
gabe

Collapse -
I obviously didn't read that enormous copy/paste
by jostenmeat / December 7, 2007 3:41 AM PST

But I'll try to hit your questions up, even if I may have already in a previous query of yours regarding BD players.

So with HDMI 1.3 you could get more control over each speaker and setting for room setup?

A receiver with audio enabled HDMI will give you more control over such factors. But it has NOTHING to do with being v 1.3. v1.1 will do so as well.

Im guessing its like my dvd audio player that hooks up with 6 channel pre-outs, the player decodes it and I have to set the speaker distance and db levels in the disc player vs doing it through the reciever?

This could be the case. The "fishiest" thing about MCA's from the player is the BM (not bowel movement, but bass mgmt). There is little consistency among players, and I highly recommend browsing owner's threads for any model to know what they typically do. Often, there is a -10db cut in the sub output. Also, fixed x-overs are typical.

Although I used to say "decode", the proper terminology is "unpack". The new formats are not decoded, there is nothing to decode. Its simply like unzipping something, or opening up the box so that the PCM all comes out. I think anyways....

and if so a hdmi 1.3 reciever will give you more option most of the time for distance, db level, bass managment, and using the calibrated mic settings, correct?

Again, I must reiterate, it has nothing to do with being v1.3. It is only because it is a receiver and not a disc player. Just by their respective natures will they have such varying degrees of "options".

Plus do most receiver companys really say they can or cannot do PCM over HDMI 1.1 or 1.2?

Any audio-enabled HDMI receiver 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc, will ALL handle PCM.

I dont like being wrong, so please help me.

I sure hope I did not further misinform you.

thanks
gabe

Welcome.

Collapse -
thanks
by gabereyes / December 7, 2007 8:25 AM PST

I wish they would take the fist post off.

anyways so what does having 1.3 HDMI on a audio reciever do for you then?

HDMI.org is talking about Support for lossless digital audio.
what support are they talking about?

thanks for the help
gabe

Collapse -
HDMI 1.3
by karport / December 7, 2007 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

The real simple answer is today No.

In the longer term, maybe but marginally so.

The geek speak benefits are for the most part marginal unless you are striving for as close to pefection as you can get.

Frankly for the average joe and jane, don't worry.

Collapse -
LMAO...
by stuntman_mike / December 8, 2007 3:23 AM PST

I think that you all, in an effort to help the author of this thread, have done exactly the opposite. I think he is more confused now then when he started lol.

Great info though jost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.