Laptops forum

HDD upgrade Toshiba X770-ST4N04

by CroatiaSplit / August 31, 2011 10:40 PM PDT

I would like to upgrade above mentioned laptop. Originaly it's equipped with 1TB storage (500GB hybrid4GB 7200rpm + 500GB 7200rpm).

Other important specs:

OS Win7 Professional

i7 2630QM processor

Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset

I have three questions:

1. Is it possible to replace one HDD unit (500GB) with OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 2.5" 120GB SATA III in order to have one SSD 128GB unit and one HDD 500GB?

2. Will my laptop gain any performance points and is it worth the $$$ and hassle?

3. Does anyone know anything on hybrid HDD systems like the one on this laptop?

Thank you all for your input!

Cheers from Croatia!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDD upgrade Toshiba X770-ST4N04
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDD upgrade Toshiba X770-ST4N04
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
1. Many do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 12:54 AM PDT

2. For some, it's performance at any cost. No one can tell you if you will think it's worth it.

3. Since 500GB Hybrid drives fell to 89 bucks on Amazon I fitted my two main systems with those. Very nice step up for little money.

Collapse -
Well I purchased an
by orlbuckeye / September 1, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

Acer 8959G in April and it came with a 750 GB 5400 rpm drive so my intentions upon ordering were a SSD drive to use as the boot drive. Well I a deal where I got a Kingston (which isn't as fast as the OCZ). I got a deal it was a 128 GB drive Notebook bundle. The bundle included a cloning kit (Software to clone and a USB external case). The price I paid was 219 with a 75.00 rebate which is as close to 1.00 per GB as you can get. I did have trouble finding the components to allow me to move the 750 to the 2nd drive bay but I did find the parts at an parts place in Canada. I cloned the drive and installed the SSD drive while i waited to receive the parts to move the HD to the second bay. Well my boot time went from over 1 minute to 20-30 seconds. My windows performance disk score went from 5.9 to 6.9.

Collapse -
Samsung boot time from zero power sleep is 3 seconds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Well I purchased an

I can't justify SSD since these new zero power sleep systems are diminishing payback on SSD.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.