Samsung

General discussion

HDCP HDMI problem with Samsung LN-S4092D

by bondj303 / February 26, 2009 4:37 AM PST

I have a 3 yr old Samsung LN-S4092D LCD HDTV and it suddenly stopped showing video (or giving out audio as well for that matter) from HDMI input from devices like my Panasonic DVD player: DVD-S52, Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver, Sony DVD Player: DVP-NS77H, etc. These devices when tested on another HD-TV using the same HDMI cables worked fine, so I localized the problem to my Samsung TV.

Strangely, input from my Dish Network HD-DVR (ViP-722) via HDMI came through fine. At first, I was completely at a loss as to how I can get audio-video just fine from one HDMI input source and not another when everything else (HDMI cables, HDMI input ports on TV, etc) remained the same. Like my TV was selectively rejecting some HDMI signal and not others when the HDMI input port and HDMI cable wre the same.

Even Samsung technical support (telephonic) had no clue and all they offered was to have a service agent come and look at the HDMI ports. Since I am out of warranty, I wanted to make sure that this issue can be resolved before spending $$$ on a service visit (its another matter that I am still awaiting a call from them to schedule the visit since yesterday).

I finally got to bottom of the mystery last night (at least I hope so). The HDMI signal from my Dish Network HD-DVR is not HDCP enabled. So, I think that is why my TV is showing that fine, but HDMI signal from HDCP enabled devices like my DVD players and Onkyo receiver are not getting through.

I think for some reason, out of the blue, my Samsung TV lost its HDCP code. So it is not taking any input from HDCP enabled HDMI devices (everything was working until about 2 weeks back).

Samsung folks said there is no firmware update for my TV. There is no USB port for my TV (although it does have 2 service ports in the rear). I was wondering whether there is any way to restore the HDMI HDCP settings on my TV. I believe there is a HDCP code on/for the HDMI chip, but my knowledge about this issue ends there!

May be someone on this forum can give some advice as regards should I just ditch this TV and buy a new one or try to get it fixed if it all it can be fixed (cause I do need a working HDCP compliant HDMI display unit since most of my other stuff is that way). Plus considering that a new HD-TV LCD can be purchased for less than $1000 these days (I was an early adopter and purchased mine at a peak price of $3000!), I don't want to spend something like $500-$750 to have this fixed as spending a few $ more can easily fetch me a new TV set.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HDCP HDMI problem with Samsung LN-S4092D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HDCP HDMI problem with Samsung LN-S4092D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HDCP HDMI problem with Samsung LN-S4092D
by bondj303 / March 2, 2009 11:42 AM PST

Am still awaiting a response on this one. looks like no one has any clue at Samsung support. I talked with again today and they said they are forwarding the info to their main support office, whatever that means!

Collapse -
I've got the same problem!
by matthewpetershaw / November 9, 2009 4:33 AM PST

I have a Samsung LE32R51D or a LE32R42BD!
It used to display, via HDMI, a standard definition SD TV and high definition HD TV from my Humax Foxsat HD FreeSat PVR.

However now it only displays SD TV.
When I watch HD TV, it only displays a picture for between 5 and 15 seconds, after which time the screen goes green. I presume because the output is encryted and the TV has not talked properly to the humax box.

I think I know what has 'caused' the problem! In the humax box setup, you can 'disable' HDMI. I did this a short time ago and the problem I think has started from that point. I changed it for no good reason, just seemed like a good idea. But now I know a lot more about HDMI!

It appears the Sumsung TV, once received HDMI HD TV, now now longer does potentially because I told the humax box to disable HDMI.

So, I too am after a way to 'reset' the TV os it works again...that or another TV I guess Sad

Collapse -
any answer
by tortureman24 / May 3, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

Hey, just wanted to see if you ever found a solution to this.

I recently had lightning strike my house, and everything surged but was fine- Except for the HDCP just like what happened to you. I can't watch DVD's or cable via HDMI.

Quite frustrating that my TV works perfect except for HDMI, but I run everything off of HDMI..

Any help would be appreciated..

Collapse -
Solution found
by matthewpetershaw / November 10, 2010 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: any answer

A new motherboard on my TV fixed the problem. Kindly replaced free of charge by Samsung.

Collapse -
A new motherboard??
by panagath / July 30, 2012 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Solution found

I have the same issue on my Samsung LCD tv. I can only see image from my DVB-T receiver which is a low tech one (probably does not have HDCP). I can't connect my mac or my pc with my tv anymore. Was your tv under warranty when samsung replaced the motherboard for free?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.