TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HD Radio @ Home

by midabe / October 28, 2008 11:53 PM PDT

There are a few features I've been looking for when searching for a new receiver: Networking (wi-fi or ethernet), 4+ HDMI, GUI menu, 120 watts x 7+, and HD Radio. I've had HD radio in my car for two years now. There is a noticable sound difference and I'd like that technology in my home.

I can buy a standalone HD receiver from Best Buy for $149.99. Why isn't this technology included in receivers? Even the $7,000+ models don't include HD radio.

One of my goals is reducing the number of components on my entertainment center, also reducing the number of remote controls needed to run things. While I can control things fine, other members of the family or friends find it very confusing switching remotes or trying to understand what needs to be controlled when using a universal remote.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD Radio @ Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD Radio @ Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HD Radio is a farce!
by gosmith7590 / October 29, 2008 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Radio @ Home
Collapse -
Kinda goes along with my point...
by midabe / October 29, 2008 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: HD Radio is a farce!

So Clear Channel is pulling the plug due to lack of demand. Considering the fact that hardly anyone has an HD radio, it makes sense. The chicken or the egg?! If you don't have radio, you have nothing to listen with. If you don't have stations, you have nothing to listen to.

Collapse -
Internet radio is a better choice for in home...
by RustyDallas / October 29, 2008 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Radio @ Home
Collapse -
Thanks.....I think
by midabe / October 29, 2008 3:05 PM PDT

So I'm shopping for a refrigerator, and you try to sell me an oven. I have Sonos...and it provides plenty of Internet radio content. However, I also listen to local stations. Some local stations may broadcast on the Internet. Most likely they are low-bandwidth.

I can buy a simple FM receiver for under $10. I'm not sure what the actual cost is to make an HD FM receiver. I'm sure it cost more, but how much more? And why can't we get this technology added to our receivers? That is the simple request.

Collapse -
Hmmmmm....
by RustyDallas / October 30, 2008 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.....I think

So, let me see if I understand you correctly. A refrigerator is to an oven, what an HD radio (signal converted to digital) is to internet radio (signal converted to digital). Never would have thought of that analogy...thanks!

Don't know where you live, but as far as I know, all of my local stations are available on the net. If it's not 100%, it's pretty close. I've never used a Sonos system but there's no way to get your local stations through Pandora? If not, some of the previously recommended devices can handle it for you. I assumed that since HD radio is essentially just digital radio and the same is true of internet radio, either would be acceptable. Only difference is you wouldn't have the possible problems with static that you have with HD radio. I know for me, internet radio run through my receiver is lights out better than using the receivers tuner.

Rusty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.