Windows 7 forum

General discussion

hd radeon 5700 upgrade

by Bailey1515 / March 22, 2013 11:46 AM PDT

I can't upgrade my driver from a standard vga driver to my radeon 5700 driver. I downloaded the amd installer, which indentifies the system and driver and it has suggested the 13_1 for windows. when installing windows wont' load. after post and the window logo, the screen goes black with a cursor.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hd radeon 5700 upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hd radeon 5700 upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Come Up With This Driver....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: hd radeon 5700 upgrade

The Catalyst Software Suite, Revision number 13.1 which includes the Display Driver version 9.012
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx#1

Did you download the full 146 MB file, then run it from the desktop? If not, please do. And just a note: I believe your motherboard also has an onboard/integrated video card.. If the computer reboots and comes up with a black screen, occasionally it means that BOTH graphics are attempting to run at the same time and therefore causing a conflict. In order to fix the issue, after installing the driver for the standalone card, boot to safe mode, access the Device Manager, then make sure the standalone card is "Enabled" and the integrated card is "Disabled". You can make this happen in Device Manager by clicking on the + sign next to "Display Adapters", then RIGHT click on each of the devices listed, choose "Properties" and look to the bottom of the page for the "Device Usage" line.. Make sure the standalone card says: "Use this device (Enabled)" and the integrated card says: "Do not use this device (disabled)".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One Other Note First..: You'll Want NET Framework Installed
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 1:17 PM PDT

On the AMD Catalyst website, it also mentions that the full Catalyst Control Center requires installation of Microsoft's NET Framework 4.0.. If you haven't done that, then please download both NET Framework 4 installation files to your desktop from the links below and run them, in the order I give them.. After they're fully installed, then visit the Windows Updates site and install the updates to NET Framework 4.. There are quite a few and it may take repeated visits to Windows Updates to get them all.

NET Framework Client Profile Standalone Installer(Install First)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872

NET Framework 4.0 Full Standalone Installer (Install Second)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

After NET Framework 4.0 is installed, you can try installing the video driver again..

Hope this helps, too.

Grif

Collapse -
hd radeon 5700 upgrade
by Bailey1515 / March 22, 2013 1:12 PM PDT

I downloaded a fresh copy version 9.012, saved it and ran it from the desktop.

When you say the stand alone card do you mean the radeon card? And if so where in device manager would i find the integrated card? It is not listed in device manager under display drivers.

When I update to the ati driver, there is only one device listed: the amd radeon. And if I have the vga driver, it too is the only one listed. There is only one display driver listed at all times. where else would i find the intergrated display driver to disable.

Collapse -
If There Is Only One Listed, That's Fine
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

When reading about your motherboard, I seem to remember there is an integrated video card... That would mean there should be two separate video jacks on the back of the computer.. If there are NOT two separate jacks, then there is no integrated video card..

Even when there are two separate jacks, sometimes, when a separate card, like your Radeon is installed, it automatically disabled the integrated card. If that's the case, then good.. Just MAKE SURE you have the video cable plugged into the Radeon card jack.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hd radeon 5700 upgrade
by Bailey1515 / March 23, 2013 11:06 AM PDT

I updated from the windows site all net framework 4 and 4.5. I did not install visual studio 2010.

I can also only see one video jack and video cable is plugged into the card.

Collapse -
hd radeon 5700 upgrade
by Bailey1515 / March 24, 2013 4:02 AM PDT

I am very frustrated I cannot use this card.

I updated and installed all the framework 4 updates, rebooted and ran for a while. I uninstalled all amd software through the uninstall programs, then ran driver fusion and installed all amd files. I rebooted and used the amd downloader to download and install (yet again) a clean copy of the files 13.1, driver 9.012. After install i rebooted and the same thing. A black screen with a cursor after the windows logo (starting windows), but I can hear the windows chime for sign on screen .

Should I update motherboard bios and drivers, memory support list and utilities? Am hesitant as I have not done this before.

Collapse -
A Question? Are Updated Video Drivers Required?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 6:11 AM PDT

If you originally installed the video card using the supplied driver CD, and everything was working fine previously, then are you sure you need to update the drivers? We have a saying here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I originally suggested updating the drivers because I was "shotgunning" advice because you didn't give us enough information to pin-point the problem. Now that you know your original issue was related to a bad monitor, if the original video drivers were fine, why not leave well enough alone?

Unless the video card never functioned correctly.. If the video card has never worked right, and you can't get drivers to install for the video card, trying a different video card will probably be the best option.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
hd radeon 5700 upgrade
by Bailey1515 / March 24, 2013 7:25 AM PDT

the video card never functioned correctly. I rma'd it the original and it was reported to be fine. I want to use this video card because my index rating is at 1 due to the graphics.

A nividia card works in my system.

So you're saying leave well enough alone and basically I will never get this card to function in my system.

I guess I'll have to buy a new card for this system.

Thanks Grif

Collapse -
Yep, Time For A New Graphics Card !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

It would have been helpful if you had told us the card never worked previously in your first post.. Those important details would have saved a lot of time for both of us.

Take care.

Grif

Collapse -
hd radeon 5700 upgrade
by Bailey1515 / March 25, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

My apologies Grif. I thought it had worked and was reminded it didn't.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.