Audio & Video Software forum

HD or sd which one to buy?

by Nomore24 / June 17, 2013 1:44 PM PDT

I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on when to buy standard definition over high definition tv shows or movies from iTunes? Right now I have a Sony 1080P in a bedroom and a 42" inch 1080p on living room. I ask this question because 1. The price
differences on iTunes between the definitions and 2. Sometimes I'm unable to see that big of a difference in the two definitions. In my bedroom I watch tv at around 6 to 10 feet and in the living its probably around 8-13 feet. Please any help is appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD or sd which one to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD or sd which one to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
In your case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 1:03 AM PDT

You opt for cheap. You can't tell the difference.

Collapse -
Another question on iTunes HD or sd
by Nomore24 / June 21, 2013 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: In your case.

Thank you for telling me that sd would be best. But I do have another question and that is when would buying the HD version of the movie of show be the best choice. Is it because the distance I watch right now is far enough away that it doesn't matter and if I got closer I'd want HD or is it the size of TV I'm watching on ? Thank you for your time

Collapse -
That's a personal preference.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 4:11 PM PDT

For example when I watch the old TV series there is little to be gained even in HD. So for me, I save the bucks.

Collapse -
Agree with Bob, and,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 8:53 AM PDT

I wonder how you are getting those movies onto your TV.

AppleTV perhaps? If so, which version?

Collapse -
Apple TV
by Nomore24 / June 21, 2013 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Bob, and,

I get it through Apple TV the newest out there that will give me 1080P

Collapse -
OK, just checking that your "in-house" source
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 11:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple TV

could actually supply HD.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.