Storage forum

HD loses format when swtiching HD Enclosures

by biisama / March 22, 2013 9:36 AM PDT

I've formatted a 3TB Toshiba (DT01ACA300) Internal HD with GPT on a Windows 7 machine. I am using the drive as external storage.

When the drive is in Enclosure A, 3tb is recognized. When the drive is removed from Enclosure A and put in Enclosure B, it shows up as RAW. When I put the same drive back in Enclosure A, 3tb is recognized.

So, I formatted the same drive as GPT on Enlcosure B. When the drive is in Enslosure B, 3tb is recognized. When the drive is removed from B and placed into A, the drive shows up as RAW. When I put the same drive back in B, 3tb is recognized.

So, that rules out the HD enclosures (Rosewill RX358 U3C- they work fine with other 2tb HDs formatted as MBR and are listed as supporting 3tb drives). Do you think the problem is with the Toshiba brand? (I have 2 Toshiba 3tb HDs that I've tried. Both have same problem) Or, is it the fact that the drives are 3tb?

I do not feel comfortable knowing that my 3tb internal drive will lose its formatting if I put it in a new enclosure.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD loses format when swtiching HD Enclosures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD loses format when swtiching HD Enclosures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Yes, that can happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 9:40 AM PDT

In some boxes there's some interface chip so yup. And 3TB may not be supported by all enclosures. Not much new going on here. And we would be repeating a lot of prior discussions about backup copies too.

Do you remember that question to the doctor about hurting when I do this?

Collapse -
It's not the enclosures
by biisama / March 22, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, that can happen.

Enclosures A & B are the same model. They support 3tb. The 3tb drive will work in whichever enclosure it is formatted in. It loses the format when it is switched between A & B. So, the problem is not whether the enclosure supports 3tb.

Also, A & B have no problem switching back and forth drives that are 2tb and keeping the 2tb formatted. So, that would indicate an interface chip is not the problem.

Also, the reason I buy Internal HDs and put them in enclosures, is to afford me the luxury of switching enlosures when the enclosure breaks. Not being able to remove the internal HD from the enclosure defeats the purpose.

I think I'm just gonna RMA the 2 Toshiba 3TB drives.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

This area is a minefield of issues. Take a close look at the enclosures and see if there is any CHIP on the interface board.

Again, all this has been discussed at length and the makers do not give support for this. I think you are doing the right thing (return it.)

Collapse -
There is an issue
by Willy / March 25, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

The plain fact, once you reach beyond 2.2Tb or there about the OS has issues. Which is why newer ext. cases provide a h/w fix to address above the 2.2Tb limit. At the same time, those i/f chips are released at certain dates which may infer "reversion levels" plus the PC has to acknowledge what its dealing with. Once you change the parameters, the PC has to re-initialize it and then acknowledge or similar terms. Two things are happening to make it work above 2.2Tb. Under 2.2Tb, the OS handles this entirely w/o the special h/w involved, even using the same i/f chip. The point being once the i/f chip is accessed and address above 2.2Tb is needed, it kicks in its specialized fix. From what you've provided, everything is working as it should. What happens if you keep the cases with 3.0Tb(once initialized) drives and swap among PCs? If it fails then, RMA them. Think of it as a marriage of sorts, they have to remain together. However, your swapping cases should one fail, then you see a foreseeable problem that occurs due to above 2.2Tb limits. So, using any other brand HDs may not help, as this transgresses HD themselves it's part of the OS side. As for cases, then picking *maybe* a better brand not Rosewill may help here, as cheap is cheap. Checkout NAS type cases and all it implies as an idea.

tada -----Willy Happy just my 2-cents

Collapse -
by Willy / March 25, 2013 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: There is an issue

I forgot to mention, you may want to look at "HD docks" which by its very nature open to any HD. They tend to be somewhat robust as they slide -in/out drives. Of course, if it fails, you have to buy another one but generally speaking if typical home use, should be OK. The specs should offer they support 3Tb drives as well, please check. I provide a link for one that supports about any HD, google for others

adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Just my addition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Addenum...

I've noticed that in the terra-sized drives you can't count on a drive moving around the docks or enclosures.

This really gets the hackles up for those folk that collect movies and such. They also tend to flame those that have warned about backups and more. What to do?

Collapse -
Buy 2
by Willy / March 25, 2013 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Just my addition.

I work on and this and that and may never return to the same setup again. There are so many combos or setups out there nothing is as typical especially when narrowing down an issue. All, I can say, if I did offer to do this or that and return because of what hasn't done as I explained, "there's your sign".

As for back-up it's a lesson only needed to learned once(cross-fingers). AND yeah, I can't save it now, it's too late for my actions other than minor.

Now with so much data on large(huge) drives, I suggest they buy two(2) it's worth it in the long run. -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Good Stuff
by biisama_ / March 26, 2013 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: There is an issue

Makes sense. Thanks you.

Collapse -
When dealing with drives at the upward limits 3TB or 4TB
by VAPCMD / March 22, 2013 10:48 AM PDT

external HDD enclosure compatibility is very hit or miss. The drive might work with some enclosures but not say the least it frustrating. Even finding enclosures that clearly state their upward limits is a hassle again especially hard for the larger HDDs.

Keep us posted on how it works out.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.