Windows 7 forum

HD Full when it's not (Hidden files don't contain anything)

by Pcompany / April 28, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

I have a second hard drive on my windows 7 pc, i've been using this to back up my main hard drive (currently using acronis). However, it seems to suggest that the hard drive is full even when it is not. The main files and folders only seem to total around 40Gb and the hidden files and folders another 20Gb. There seems to be another 140+Gb of storage space missing and i cannot work this out. I thought it may have something to do with acrnois live back up system however, i'm not sure. Any information on where this storage space is being used would be great.
Thanks Josh

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD Full when it's not (Hidden files don't contain anything)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD Full when it's not (Hidden files don't contain anything)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 1:22 AM PDT

FAT32 drives will have Windows erroneously give that message if you copy a file bigger than 4GB to said drive.

The mystery to me is why Microsoft never corrected the error message.

There's also a problem if you place a lot of files in the top folder or "root".

Again, Microsoft issues a drive full message even when it's just the root directory has run out of space.

-> What do you think Josh, shouldn't Microsoft have corrected these errors given it's been over a decade?

Collapse -
Drive Formatted to NTFS
by Pcompany / April 28, 2011 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Just to say its NTFS formated if this makes a massive difference, and i'm aware of the problem with FAT32 and it's really quite annoying as i have a lot of macs and it stops me from transferring large files.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2011 3:49 AM PDT

While there are interesting problems with many thousand files in folders and reports that NT/2000 stopped booting if you put 2,048 or more files in the root, please tell more about this Apple issue.

Current Apples can read+write NTFS and if you don't have a current Apple, FUSE or NTFS3G or such gives you more.

Collapse -
Acronis' NonStop Backup uses hidden files
by richierein / April 29, 2011 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

I use Acronis NonStop Backup and it uses a lot of space in hidden files in the root directory of the destination drive. Take a look there. It may be what you're looking for.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.