TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

HD from Coax Cable?

by ETCS / February 20, 2007 6:32 AM PST

I am currently running my HDTV signal straight from my coax cable line supplied from Cox. I am NOT using a cable box since I do not need the menu information or On-Demand/Pay-per-View features. Am I losing out on any HD signal clarity or sharpness by not running the signal through a cable box and then through an HDMI or DVI cable? In other words, would the picture be any better than what I have now if I ran the signal through a cable box?

Thanks,

JG

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HD from Coax Cable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HD from Coax Cable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
H.D.T.V. NEEDS FEEDING FEED IT PLEASE
by stewart norrie / February 20, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: HD from Coax Cable?

If you want that movie theater experience that your t.v. will diliver. You must upgrade to the hi-def system install a h.d.m.i. cable and order the hi-def programming Hi-def programming is very cheap and well worth it. But before you upgrade, why not check out Dish network. Usually a lot cheaper and many more hi-def packages to choise from the dish is also very flexable you can stick up an outside antenna and get your local hi-def channels free I have the hi-def [ackage and VOOM with Dish net. only $15.00 extra per month and with the built in over the air hi-def tuner I receive 18 local digital channels 8 are hi-def good luck steweee

Collapse -
Coax vs cable box
by Dan Filice / February 20, 2007 8:02 AM PST

The cable box would be needed to get the "digital cable" menus. I use the HD cable box supplied by my cable company for my 2 HD TVs. Just out of curiosity, are you receiving HD channels through the coax now? Even for local HD channels from the cable company, I thought the HD cable box would be needed. I know that a standard roof antenna can be used to get local HD channels if your TV has a HD tuner. I'm very curious as to your answer, because I wondered whether any HD channels could be received at all without subscribing first to Digital Cable, then to a HD Tier.

Collapse -
Won't happen. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 20, 2007 9:48 AM PST

You must feed an HD TV an HD signal to get HD. You are not getting an HD signal from the standard cable connection. Missing something? Quite.

And a standard cable box won't get it either. You must subscribe to the HD programming and feed the signal to the TV's HDMI, DVI, or component inputs. Otherwise you're getting an SD picture.

Collapse -
ANOTHER REASON TO DUMP COX
by stewart norrie / February 21, 2007 2:13 AM PST

Dish network will give you all your network stations in hi-def FREE if you order there hi-def package which is super cheap $10.00 per month You can also add 5 channels of VOOM for only $5.00 more You also have the option of installing an outside antenna for your locals Thats why I like the dish system its got tons of bells and whistles and is so flexable, You can even order movies in hi-def cable offers nothing steweeee

Collapse -
Hmm..
by fatal_foto / February 21, 2007 3:35 AM PST

Ok this is weird..
Right now I have my cable spliced from a digital cable box (no HD) into my TV..and I receive ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX in HD (TV says 720p or 1080i and it does look good). Regular channels look like crap.

So I tried hooking up my TV directly to a digital cable box (no HD), and it blocked the HD signals. Regular channels looked considerably better. I then bypassed the box and was able to receive ABC, NBC, and CBS in HD...strangely, no FOX.

Now, you can tell me it's not HD...but I am telling you it looks close/the same.

Collapse -
HD From Coax
by ETCS / February 21, 2007 5:31 AM PST

I do subscribe to Cox Digital and I receive some of the digital channels (4.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc.) I do not, however, receive some of the "premium tier" channels like Discovery HD and the like, and, of course, no menu information or OnDemand features.

I really don't think that the digital Cable Box from Cox is going to add anything to the signal as (I beleive) the tuner in teh TV is converting the cable signals into HD. It also makes for a much cleaner installation since only one cable feeds the TV (aside from the DVD cables).

JG

Collapse -
(NT) Whatever.
by Coryphaeus / February 21, 2007 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: HD From Coax
Collapse -
HDTV picture quality
by Patrick Shannon1 / February 21, 2007 11:48 AM PST

Quick answer is no. If you are paying for HDTV it is about as good as it gets
with cable. I live in Omaha and hooked a old rabbit ear and got a better picture than cable on local stations but not the choices on Cox. I'm thinking
Direct TV but would like to see the difference first. I use S vidio from DVD
to LCD tv with built in tuner with good quality from Cox or OTA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.