Computer Help forum

General discussion

HCPS loader has stopped working. How do i fix this?

by casey2119 / February 8, 2009 12:04 AM PST

My OS is Vista. I have a Dell insperion 530s with an intel dual core 1.6 processor. 1 gig memory. Not too many programs on it so I know I have plenty of space for a new install program. I am trying to install Oberon Dream Vacation Solitaire. I did contact Oberon and they e-mailed me back and showed my how to run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service Pack 2) and run this program as an administrator. That has been done in the setup folder. One thing I did notice while looking at the folders in the game CD is that none of these are .exe. They are all applications.

Question #1 does this make sense to you? Shouldn't one of these files be .exe?

There is another file titled "Start Here" underneath it says HCPS loader HexaLock Ltd. Through more reasearch I have found that this company has made a fix for Vista to allow "Security"? issues associated with the HCPS loader to be fixed. Apparently XP OS did not have this issue or program? I downloaded these two programs that were supposed to fix this issue.
2008-01-30: HexaLock have released a fix for Content copy protection on Vista.

HexaLock have released a fix for Content copy protection on Vista.
This is the address:

This is the program download:
The new Fix is for:
AutoLock Wizard 4.5
Duplication system 1.1 and 1.2
Rimage plug 4.2 and 4.5
Eclipse Plugs

Content and EXE Fix

Then I downloaded and installed this program (from the same site)

I updated my adobe flash palyer to the newest version which is Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX

I updated my direct X to version 10.

Now at this point I think I have done everything possible and my silly little game should run. NO it isn't happening.

I try to load the game and what I am still getting is the screen HCPS loader has stopped working.

I do need to mention that my Vista OS seems to be 32 bit. After ordering my husband a new computer yesterday I looked into my system info and noticed this. His will be 64 bit. I bought my computer in August 2007 from Dell.

Question #2
So, is there anything I can do to fix this HCPS error message?

One other note to anyone wanting to by a new computer, If possible stick with XP. Our perfectly good Lexmark X125 all in one printer will not install on Vista. I have tried for many days to find a possible compatible driver for it. Lexmark did answer my e-mail and told me it is not compatible with Vista 64 bit OS because it is 32 bit. As I mentioned I do have a 32bit Vista OS. So what are they saying??? I have a few other older games which won't run on Vista. IF you don't care about your older games AND are planning on buying new hardware Vista is the OS for you.

The hardware and software companies blame Windows for these issues and Windows blames hardware and software companies. It seems if hardware and software companies can come up with these programs in the first place, keeping in mind the complex programing OS of Vista
why can't they figure out a way to rewrite the original program or dirver to work on newer OS systems. ALL this talk about GOING GREEN. Can you imagine all the perfectaly good trashed printers that are out there? Just a thought.

Thank you for any help you can give to me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HCPS loader has stopped working. How do i fix this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HCPS loader has stopped working. How do i fix this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Thought...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 3:41 AM PST

1. Tried disabling User Account Control (UAC)?

Open the Control Panel (Classic Style), then double click on "User Accounts", then in the "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off", UNCHECK the box for "User Account Control". Reboot the computer.

Once that's done, Vista may warn you of the lack of security by throwing a red or yellow warning shield in the lower right corner/system tray. You can disable that as well by opening Control Panel, then the "Security Center" icon, then select the "Don't Notify me and don't display the icon" option.

If that doesn't help, then the experts regarding the compatibility of the program will be the program manufacturer's themselves. If they can't fix your problem, then you may want to get your money back.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
What a challenge
by casey2119 / February 9, 2009 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Just A Thought...

I disabled the user account control and did a restart. Message HCPS loader has stopped working is still comming up. I just e-mailed Hexalock and asked them if they can help. I will keep you posted.

If I can get through this I will tackle my printer next. :}

Thank you for your response. Kathy

Collapse -
HexaLock on Vista
by HexaLock USA Support / February 9, 2009 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: What a challenge

Recently, Microsoft released the new "Vista" operating system with enhanced security.
Due to these security enhancements, CDs created with HexaLock version 4.5 may not run.

If the protected files are "Content" such as PDF or Word Docs, Flash or other Movies, Images, etc. then there is nothing that can be done to get them to run on Vista.

However, if the files were protected with HexaLock version 4.5, and are "Executables", then the user can download and install the patch from this link:
Under "UTILITIES" labeled "Vista Content and EXE fix utility"
(the user must have Administrative Privileges in order to run the patch)

HexaLock version 4.6, released in the spring of 2008, produces CD-RX discs that will allow this kind of "Content" to run on Vista.
The user must have Administrative Privileges in order to run a HexaLock protected CD (or have an administrator nearby to enter the administrator password upon execution).
To run the CD:
When the CD is inserted into the drive, browse to the files in "My Computer" or Windows Explorer, and right-click the "Start-Here.exe" or the main Program executable.
In the pop-up menu, click "Run as administrator".
(alternately, in the pop-up menu, click "Properties", click the "Compatibility" tab, and check the
"Run this program as an administrator" check-box. This will instruct Vista to remember this action for all subsequent executions of the program, and the user may run the executable with a shortcut or by
simply double-clicking it.)

Also, Adobe Reader 7 and 9 cannot open protected PDF Documents (they try to write temp. files to the hard drive, which HexaLock won?t allow because they can be 'captured').
Adobe Reader 8.1.2 works with HexaLock PDF documents.

Collapse -
Running older games on Vista
by casey2119 / February 10, 2009 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: HexaLock on Vista

To HexaLock USA Support... Kudos!

To all who have been following this post or may see it in the future. I wrote HexaLock directly yesterday, and they not only replied to me, they also posted this on CNet. What I sent to HexaLock, was a copy of all posts from CNet forum. They took the initiative to find my post and to write a reply and a fix.

Perhaps this will work. I will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Did not work
by casey2119 / February 11, 2009 5:33 PM PST

I haver HexaLock Version 2.0. This suggestion did not work.

Collapse -
RE: Did not work
by HexaLock USA Support / February 11, 2009 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: Did not work

Hello casey2119,

I don't understand what that means. I've never heard of "HexaLock Version 2.0".

But I can tell you again that if you have protected "Content" (such as PDF or Word Docs, Flash or other Movies, Images, etc) that was created using ANY HexaLock version prior to version 4.6 (which was released in the Spring of 2008), then there is nothing that can be done to get it to run on Vista.
Only "Content" that was created with version 4.6 will work on Vista.

Collapse -
Fix for Problem
by drgnrdr57 / June 2, 2009 2:48 PM PDT

I had the same problem. The fix is not it is the Which is on Help and Support page. Under "What is the compatibility of HexaLock protected EXE files on CD?s in the Vista Operating System?" click that link and you should see on the page. Download it. Install it. An icon will appear on your desktop, run it. Then you should open the folder of your game and run the games exe file as an administrator. Hexalock's Vista_EXE_Fix just won't work. So far using the vistaFix has worked for me.

Collapse -
Doesn't work either.
by project86 / May 10, 2010 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Fix for Problem

Sorry. Doesn't work either. Just installed that and it is still not working. So, anyone who can help me out here I would be much obliged.

Collapse -
Fix download did not fix HCPS
by communite / April 16, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

Processor: Intel(R(Core(TM)2CPU 4300@1.80GHz 1.79z Memory(RAM): 2.GB System type: 64-bit Operating System Hcps stopped working ,googled Hcps ,downloaded your fix ,got this massage , This file does not have a program associted with it for performing this action,. Create an assocation in the set association control panel.Can you tell me how to do this , Thank you ,Pamela

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.