Samsung forum

General discussion

HBOGo keeps buffering & unwatchable on un46d8000

by in128770 / April 14, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

Hey gang,
I just got this TV and signed up for HBO Go. Watching ANYTHING on HBO Go on my un46d8000 via the built-in WiFi pauses every 10 seconds and displays the blinking white circle like it is buffering or loading, then plays for a few more seconds then buffers again. Unwatchable! Where should I begin troubleshooting this so that it streams uninterrupted? Could it be my TV settings, my wireless router, connection, etc.

FYI - HBOGO streams just fine on my HP PC using the same internet, wireless router, etc. that my Samsung TV does...

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HBOGo keeps buffering & unwatchable on un46d8000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HBOGo keeps buffering & unwatchable on un46d8000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's start with the basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

1. There is no PC in those TVs so we can't compare performance to the PC.
2. The WiFi is not as good as most PCs so to rule that out, use a wired connection.

Some want it to be as good as the PC. If so, we need a PC.

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob. however
by in128770 / April 14, 2012 5:15 AM PDT

1) my router is way too far away to run a wired connection. So when you wrote "Some want it to be as good as the PC. If so, we need a PC." are you saying I should try to connect my PC to the TV to watch it.

2) Also, it seems to be getting a little better as the episode goes on. Does that mean that the TV is downloading all the episode data in the beginning and then it will stop buffering once it has done that?

Thanks so much for your time!

p.s - my router is about 50 feet away. My longest chord is about 20 feet. Do they make ethernet chords that long?

Sorry for so many questions.

Collapse -
1. The router for the first test needs to be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Bob. however

20 or less feet away. The WiFi is not that great in most HDTVs, BD players and has caused trouble and ire for some.

2. There are many variables in WiFi because it's in the open. A neighbor's cordless phone can interfere so you have to admit it's lucky it works as well as it does.

There are more notes about Samsung, WiFI over the in CNET Networking forum.

Collapse -
PS. Ethernet cables are easily found
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2012 4:07 PM PDT

At 100 feet. We keep a 300 foot one at the shop for years just for folk that thought the distance was an issue.

Collapse -
Thanks for everyone's input, but issue persist even after...
by in128770 / April 15, 2012 6:32 AM PDT

I went out yesterday and replaced my 7 yr old router with a new Netgear that is supposed to be good for HD Video streaming. It worked perfectly last night and I thought I had found the solution. Then today, HBOGO kept buffering just as it did yesterday with my 7 yr old Linksys. So, I powered off the TV and powered it back on, still issues. Then I powered off my router and powered back on, went to HBOGo then no problems whatsoever. But also yesterday with the old router, after loading HBOGo about 3 different times it streamed flawlessly. It almost seems like when it keeps buffering, getting out of SmartHub several times and going back in until it finally works seems to be the only solution.

p.s. - My Internet connection is 15 mbps.

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 6:41 AM PDT

Is your WiFi secure? You didn't say.

Collapse -
Bob. Yes it is secure and requires a password.
by in128770 / April 15, 2012 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good clue.

and Thanks for your continued input.

Collapse -
WEP is not secure yet requires a password.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 9:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Any details I can give you...
by in128770 / April 15, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

To help me resolve this issue.

Collapse -
I read about the 13 channels...
by in128770 / April 15, 2012 10:18 AM PDT

Where do I find these so that I may review and possibly troubleshoot?

Thanks so much!

Collapse -
Here's the link to the CNET Networking Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 11:53 AM PDT

Currently the top post. Sorry but I need to rearrange this but it has a lot of what we know.

I have no details from you about the WiFi. I dropped a hint that WEP is not secure yet requires a password. We also know of trouble with F@nCy passwords.
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.