Windows 7

Question

Having Trouble Restoring my Previous Windows Vista OS.

by mconnell61 / March 3, 2013 6:26 PM PST

I am trying to restore my previous OS (Windows Vista Home Premium) from my current one which is Windows 7 Professional.

I read the article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760 which explains how to achieve this goal but I am still having problems with the execution of the process.

My problem starts in Section 2 when I try to start the "Windows Recovery Environment" process.

After I insert my Windows 7 installation disc in the DVD drive and then restart my computer (Dell XPS 420) the instructions in the article say to "Press any key when you are prompted to restart the disc"?

I am not getting any prompt "to restart " from the disc and I can't seem to move on to the next step in Section 2 of this article where I am supposed to "select a language, a time" etc... and then on to the next steps where I am supposed to click on " Repair Computer" and go to the "System Recovery Options" where I can open the "Command Prompt" to enter the necessary commands to restore my old operating system and all the files associated with it.

I just want to restore my old operating system (Windows Vista Home Premium) and all the files associated with it that are in the "Windows.old" folder of my (C:) hardrive but I can't complete Section 2 of the instructions in article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760 .

I would like to know how I can get to the part of the "Install Windows" window that has the "Repair your Computer" and "System Recovery Options" that open the "Command Prompt" feature when I am not automatically brought to these features just by inserting the Windows 7 installation disc and restarting my computer? How can I get to the "Command Prompt" option?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having Trouble Restoring my Previous Windows Vista OS.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having Trouble Restoring my Previous Windows Vista OS.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: restore old windows
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 6:58 PM PST

If you don't get that prompt that can mean 3 things:

1. The BIOS isn't set to boot from the optical drive first. Solution: boot into the BIOS setup and change that setting.
2. The disk isn't bootable. Solution: use a bootable disk
3. The drive is dirty or defective. Solution: clean the heads (with a head cleaner) or replace the drive. Or see if you can boot from an external drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Restoring Old OS
by mconnell61 / March 4, 2013 10:15 AM PST

Thanks for that info. It sounds like your number 1 of the 3 things is my solution. Iwill try it.

Collapse -
OS restored but No Adobe Programs
by mconnell61 / March 4, 2013 4:49 PM PST
In reply to: Restoring Old OS

I did successfully restore my previous OS but it seems that not all the programs and files were restored with it. Adobe Production Suite is absent in my "All Programs" list and I really need it back so I can finish a project that I was working on.

During the Command Prompt process there were 2 steps in Section 4 (of the article I mentioned) that resulted in the message "The system cannot find the file specified". As instructed I moved on to the next steps but I am thinking that these messages may have something to do with why I was not able to restore my Adobe Production Suite with my original operating system.

The thumbnails for all the Adobe Production Suite programs that I have pinned to my start-up menu are there, but when I click on them to open I get the following message: "The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed, or removed". I am hoping it was moved and just has not been found yet.

How can I find these Adobe Production Suite programs that were installed with my original OS and restore as I did my original operating system?

Also, my second hardrive that I installed that used to be called "New Volume (J":) is now named "New Volume (F:)"? If I don't have the same name as before on this harddrive all of the files that I imported from it to use in my project that I am editing are "offline" when I open the project.

How can I re-name this "New Volume (F:)" hard drive back to it's original name of "New Volume (J:)"?

Collapse -
Re: missing program
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 5:08 PM PST

I'd just re-install it from the original installation disc and see if that works.

From a distance, like everybody here is, it's impossible to find out what is wrong (went wrong, you did wrong). But on the sight of it, it seems you didn't recover all. Maybe you can just do the remaining part now? Set your folder options to show hidden files and folders and look if there's anything left in the windows.old folder.

For that drive letter, that's not part of the volume name. The volume name is just "New volume". So renaming is not the thing to do. Pick your choice from https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+assign+drive+letter+to+hard+drive to see how to assign a fixed drive letter to a volume.

Kees

Collapse -
Find Programs and Change Drive Letter
by mconnell61 / March 5, 2013 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Re: missing program

Thanks Kees.

I will try those things and see if that does the trick.

mconnell61

Collapse -
Drive Letter Not in Drop Down List
by mconnell61 / March 5, 2013 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re: missing program

I just tried to change the drive letter from (F:) to (J:) but when I get to the part where I click on the drop-down menu in the "Assign the following drive letter" window I see that there is no letter J option in the list?

As I stated, I installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit in this computer after having used Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit for years and then I changed back to my origional OS (Vista) using the System Recovery. Before I changed from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 the drive letter for this particular hard drive was (J:) but when I changed back to my Vista OS it changed to (F:)?

Every other hard drive letter was the same as it was origionally except for New Volume (J:) which was now new Volume (F:)?

I really need to have the drive letter be (J:) for this hard drive or all of my Premiere Pro project files that I have edited on this computer will be offline.

How can I change the drive letter for this particular hard drive to (J:) if the letter J is not an option in the Vista Home Premium drop down menu of the "Assign the following drive letter" drop-down menu?

Collapse -
Re: drive letter
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 9:04 PM PST

Maybe that j: is used already for something. Did you already have a look in Disc Management?

If no luck, you better start thinking about making new projects that points to F: in stead of J: Any decent program (but I don't know if those Adobe programs are) should be able to handle a set of files from a backup independent of the drive letter used by the original source.

Kees

Collapse -
No Letter J in Drop Down
by mconnell61 / March 6, 2013 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drive letter

No, the leter J is not being used by another disk. I checked my disk management and list of hard drive in my Computer window and it is nowhere to be found?

The reason I really need this hard drive to be labelled J is because I have an unfinished project that was edited with Adobe Premier Pro using my original OS (Vista) and all of the footage files were on this hard drive labelled as J. Adobe Premiere will not show my already edited footage in the timeline if the drive letter has changed from J to F.

I am REALLY in need of help to find a way to restore this hard drive to the origional drive letter J as it was when I was using this Vista OS before I installed Windows 7 or my edited project is ruined.

Any suggestion about what I should do next to restore this drive to the letter J even though the letter J is not listed in the drop down menu?

Collapse -
Files recovered and Windows 7 installed
by mconnell61 / March 18, 2013 7:17 PM PDT

It turns out the letter J in my drive was in use by CD/DVD device. So I changed the drive letter of that device to M and found the letter J back in the drop down menu. I then assigned the original drive in question back to J.

To find the files that I lost in the original OS change I found a really good data recovery program from EaseUS called Data Recovery Wizard WinPE.

I was able to find the lost files by simply entering the file type (.aep) in the search box and they came right up! These were files that were written over by the new OS installation but I was able to recover them.

I then did a Windows 7 OS installation again and put the lost files back into the C drive folder where they were originally. I re-installed Adobe Creative Suite and all the third party plug-ins, then re-installed all my drivers including sound card and video card.

I opened up my Premiere Pro project that I have been working on and saw that the project was in the timeline panel but the monitors are saying Media Offline.

I am relieved to see that the project is in the timeline but still working on the problem of why the monitors say Media Offline.

Advice from anyone who might know the solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.