Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

having customers fill out a form online

by PowerofAttorney / May 10, 2012 2:42 AM PDT

I sell legal forms on my website and instead of just handing out a download of the file I want to make it more like legalzoom.com where you input your information on the website. What program/code/installation would be the best to accomplish this and if there any developers out there I would be willing to work with.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove site links which unnecessary for the topic at hand. on 05/10/2012 at 2:25 PM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: having customers fill out a form online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: having customers fill out a form online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What is powering your website right now?
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 7:26 AM PDT

If you use a content management system, there may very well be a plugin that you can install that can do this, but it will depend on the system you have. If this is a custom website, all you would need to do is add an intermediary webpage between the download button and the checkout to collect that user information. That new page would contain a form that, upon submission, would direct the user to the checkout. Also, you will need a privacy policy that explains what you will do with this information. Right now, I only found a terms of use.

If you're open to something entirely a new, you can take a look at a content management system like Drupal or Wordpress where you can accomplish something like this as well.

Lastly, if you're looking for developers to help you implement this, I suggest putting your project out for a bid on one of those freelance websites like freelancer.com. You could also look locally in your city on LinkedIn or Twitter for developers in your area. It often helps to have the ability to sit down face to face.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
RE: Sovereign
by PowerofAttorney / May 10, 2012 10:11 AM PDT

What do you mean "system I have" my ]website is hosted by godaddy.com and I use a website editor (Adobe Contribute) to edit. So a good analogy to what you're saying is instead of learning how to change my own oil, I should just have somebody that knows what they are doing do it for me?

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove Web link which is unnecessary for the topic at hand on 05/11/2012 at 8:57 AM PT

Collapse -
Yes
by Sovereign Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Sovereign

I looked at the software you are using and its features, and it doesn't appear that there are any tools that help create forms (https://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/features.html), so that part must be manually created by someone who can write that code, since you're not using a content management system like Drupal or Wordpress where you'd be able to use plugins.

Also, please avoid linking to your website, as there is no reason for that and is considered spam.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Answer
About learning to change the oil.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 7:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Perfectdocs
by wes123123 / February 12, 2013 8:25 AM PST

Try shopify. They have a nice plugin that allows for the sale of downloadable content. check out www.perfectdocs.org for an example

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.