Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Having an Issue with Audio and/or Video Codecs :(

by MrOrdun / February 2, 2013 12:07 PM PST

Hello,

I've been searching everywhere on the internet for a solution to this but could not find one single good answer. Sad
hence my desperation of making an account here, just to seek direct help.

My problem is whenever I attempt to open one of my Videos in Windows Media Player (they're all AVI format), I get varying results, but none of them good.

1. I get the message "An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help."

2. the the Video plays with no Image and only Audio.

3. The Video freezes at the first frame and can't go any further than that.

now from all of my research, It seems like Codecs are the issue, so going with what everyone else was doing, I used a program called GSpot that determines what codecs are used in specific videos, and I got this http://i47.tinypic.com/2itsfnt.png

I continued searching for a solution concerning the results of GSpot and was told that "BI_RGB Raw Bitmap" is not a codec, but a format, there for no Video Codec is needed, and that PCM Audio is a built in Codec for Windows XP (which I have and says its working)
So I kind of got stuck on what to do from there.

for what might be useful information, I believe the videos stopped working when my computer crashed and I had to switch to a different Hard-drive and re-install Windows, then get the Drivers back, and I'm on a old Dell Desktop with Windows XP.

Other things that might help figure this out.

The Origin of the AVI Video's are exported from Macromedia Flash Professional 8

and my computer details :
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1 Build 2600)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Vostro 200

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz

Memory: 2550MB RAM

Page file: 902MB used, 3536MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I can also show you all the Video and Audio Codecs currently on my computer if you need to, maybe you'll know if somethings missing or not.

please note that viewing the videos isn't my actual goal, rather that all my other problems with this are connected to the video's not working in WMP, so fixing that should fix the others. purchasing things is also not an option for me, all I ask is to return my computer to how it was when it came to using these video's.

Please help If you can :o

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Having an Issue with Audio and/or Video Codecs :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Having an Issue with Audio and/or Video Codecs :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's why I use VLC Player a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 3:33 AM PST

If you want to learn more about CODECS, go find MEDIA INFO.
Bob

Collapse -
VLC
by pgc3 / February 3, 2013 3:39 AM PST

Yeah Bob I totally agree, VLC player pretty much covers the field and I use it as the main player of several set ups. Way back when you typically did the AVI Codec pack download but VLC pretty much does it all it is a better way to go.

Collapse -
And not to mention the CODEC malware/trojan issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: VLC
Collapse -
Answer
Solved
by MrOrdun / February 3, 2013 5:36 AM PST

None of you helped but I fixed it Happy

for future reference, in case other people run into this, The problem was that after the re-installation of Windows, I was missing Flash Player, which is required to the use of video's exported from Macromedia Flash Professional 8.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2013 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

But as you read your posts you never revealed where these came from. In this post you did.

In spite of that, VLC Player should have been able to play them and it has an INFORMATION tab/screen which could have revealed what encoder was used and needed.

Wish folk were more psychic.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.