Tablets forum

Question

having a dilemma over my next purchase :/

by shonboy / November 13, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I've been thinking about buying a new gadget so i wanted to ask someone about their pessimal experiences and ideas. I already have a nexus 7 and a galaxy nexus, and I'm really happy with them. I'm saving some cash tho so I'm not sure whether to save for an iPad or to wait until something new comes out, as I've never used ios before and i don't think anything android will come out soon that these two won't be able to handle. So i would really appreciate all the advices you can give about whether or not will someone would make any use of an iPad who has a nexus 7 or should i maybe save for a new android phone (I'm not gaming on my gnex and its performance is perfect for all the other tasks). Tnx i advance Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: having a dilemma over my next purchase :/
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: having a dilemma over my next purchase :/
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It would be hard to justify such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 4:33 AM PST

You have some of the best Android has to offer so my advice is to add more rubber bands to your wallet and wait for 2013 to see if there is a meltdown in the tablet world. MSFT is playing their 8 RT card but here my developer buddies are not biting.
Bob

Collapse -
Tnx but i'm also looking for some sort of a comparison :)
by shonboy / November 14, 2012 1:41 AM PST

Yeah i planned to do that at least for as long as i don't have enough for some high end future product, but i also wanted to hear some opinions about android tablet-iPad comparison, preferably from someone who has both. I know iPad has more optimized apps and so on, but is there any benefit buying the, say, 4th gen iPad whenever for me when i already have a nexus 7? Surface is also appealing but i'm not really looking for a tablet windows experience after using a PC all my life...

Collapse -
I can do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 1:49 AM PST

Android is the new Windows. Fiddly, settings that move around from machine to machine and even from one version of the OS to another. Windows users seem to adapt to Android very quickly.

Apple's products are for those that don't want to fiddle so much. But with that comes a more closed system. AKA "Walled garden" it can upset folk that want more openness. I can't use Apple's devices because of a decision Apple made on BlueTooth.

Microsoft is aching to be like Apple or Google and the lockdown of Windows 8 RT has me agreeing that RT stands for Restricted Tablet. The only good thing I see is a Windows 8 RT tablet is the only way to get Office for free.

That's the high level view. Why do you find Windows 8 RT appealing? All my developer friends are ignoring it.
Bob

Collapse -
Tnx for trying to help out..
by shonboy / November 14, 2012 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: I can do that.

Well, i've never used windows phone, or windows 8 as well for that matter, and i like what i'd seen about the tile system and the interface in general. I know that most people will appreciate the ability to switch to windows 7 style UI on Surface, for terms of productivity, but i think it's ruining the "tablet" aspect (yea, i don't HAVE to switch if i don't want to, just stating the cons). As for what u've said about open/closed system, i agree with you and i love the amount of customization Android allows, custom ROMs, kernels, themes, etc...but i find that, especially with newer devices, i just end up restoring them back to stock as it seems sufficiently stable/fast and capable of anything i'm throwing at it. It amazes me to see how great Android has became, but that very fact makes me consider ios as well because if the stock system is (i don't know weather it is or not) good enough than there might not be much need to customize it :/...I also like Nexus 10 with its resolution, but it's not really a worth factor to buy, having a N7 already. P.S. what about bluetooth on ios?

Collapse -
Bluetooth on Apple uses a security chip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2012 2:57 AM PST

So we can't talk to devices that don't have the security system Apple came up with. Our office has apps that talk over Bluetooth and we can't replace 10K BT devices just for Apple.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Better go with Ipad
by kristenmart / November 15, 2012 2:48 PM PST

Yes, you are right shanboy, the Ipad having more features apart that Android..go with that which is very user friendly and there are lot of usage will be available...

Collapse -
Answer
If i were you
by AJKazynas / November 19, 2012 1:22 AM PST

Honestly, I won't even thing about getting an iPad if I had Nexus 7 and Galaxy Tab
Happy maybe the best decision is to save some money and wait for something really exceptional.

Collapse -
not galaxy tab :)
by shonboy / November 20, 2012 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: If i were you

I don't have a galaxy tab, i have a galaxy nexus =), right now I'm more considering a note 2 since my gnex's screen has cracked and repair costs nearly 200$ here. And as for tablets i don't see anything spectacular coming out soon tho i saw iPad 3 at a reasonable price the other day, and i don't think 4th gen has anything worthwhile considering...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.