The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Have you upgraded to Windows Vista yet?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 4, 2008 2:25 AM PST

Have you upgraded to Windows Vista yet?

--Yes, I got it when it first released. (How do you like it?)
--Yes, it came with my new computer. (How do you like it?)
--No, but I am considering it.
--No, I'm happy with XP for now.
--No, I'm waiting for finalized SP1 to be delivered. (What are your expectations of SP1?)
--No, I don't think I will until I absolutely have to. (Please explain.)
--I will when I get a new computer.
--No, I'm a Mac user.
--No, I'm a Linux user.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have you upgraded to Windows Vista yet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have you upgraded to Windows Vista yet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup, before it was released...
by John.Wilkinson / January 4, 2008 5:35 AM PST

Permanently made the switch during Vista RC1 and am now on Vista Ultimate SP1 RC1. Certainly not perfect, but the new features far outweigh the inconveniences and occasional incompatibilities I've encountered. Still run XP in a dual-boot for use as necessary, though.

Collapse -
Switch to Vista...
by damase / January 4, 2008 9:02 AM PST

NOT!! My advice to people without the time and/or expertise to deal with extended beta projects is to stay away from Vista until MS is selling the dvd's that specifically say Windows Vista with SP1. No RC's allowed.

Collapse -
by jamesY189 / January 4, 2008 9:05 AM PST

i have windows vista!! i dont have any problems with it at all!!! it is quick and easy to use!! and has done everything that has been asked of it so far!!!!

Collapse -
Lucky boy
by branislav_rankovic / January 4, 2008 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: vista

Then you are a very, very lucky boy or ....

Collapse -
upgraded - all is fine
by bwwhitlock / January 4, 2008 9:26 AM PST

I bought a Gateway laptop Christmas 06 with a certificate for upgrade to vista. I received Vista Home Premium Edition in March 07 and the upgrade took a couple of hours with no real problems though I needed a number of driver and application patches. I thought it ran a little slow and quickly expanded ram from 1 gig to 2 gig (laptop max). I have had no technical problems since the install and no compatibility problems either. I would recommend it if for no other reason than XP is an EOL solution.
Not to sound like a Microsoft advocate but I highly recommend coupling your Vista upgrade with installing Windows Defender. I only say this beacuse the embedded toolset in Defender makes it realy easy to clean up start up programs that often get loaded in memory as default aplpications even though you may rarely use them. Cleaning them out (disable and or delete from startup) really accelerates the initial load time.
Disclosure.. I am the director of an applications software development shop for the feds (mostly Unix) and may be a bit more savvy toward this sort of thing than the average home user.

Collapse -
upgraded - all is fine
by bwwhitlock / January 4, 2008 9:28 AM PST

I bought a Gateway laptop Christmas 06 with a certificate for upgrade to vista. I received Vista Home Premium Edition in March 07 and the upgrade took a couple of hours with no real problems though I needed a number of driver and application patches. I thought it ran a little slow and quickly expanded ram from 1 gig to 2 gig (laptop max). I have had no technical problems since the install and no compatibility problems either. I would recommend it if for no other reason than XP is an EOL solution.
Not to sound like a Microsoft advocate but I highly recommend coupling your Vista upgrade with installing Windows Defender. I only say this beacuse the embedded toolset in Defender makes it realy easy to clean up start up programs that often get loaded in memory as default aplpications even though you may rarely use them. Cleaning them out (disable and or delete from startup) really accelerates the initial load time.
Disclosure.. I am the director of an applications software development shop for the feds (mostly Unix) and may be a bit more savvy toward this sort of thing than the average home user.

Collapse -
Here's how...
by pblanton / January 4, 2008 12:27 PM PST
In reply to: upgraded - all is fine

In a standard install of Vista...

- Click the start (Windows Logo) button and select "Control Panel"

- Make sure the "Classic View" is selected in the left side of the Control Panel window

- Click on "Performance Information and Tools"

- Under "Tasks" on the left side of the window, select "manage Startup Programs."

You should leave the windows applications alone, but you can stop the myriad of other programs that think they are soooo important, from launching at boot up. This does tremendously increase the start up time.

Collapse -
The land of the free?
by Swartswaan / January 4, 2008 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: upgraded - all is fine

A Linux install crashed my PC completely. Since I neglected serious digging in PC's for many years, I didn't know much. Through the use of several other Linux coverdisks, I managed to re-partition my C: drive and get it working again. On Windows and Linux! The Linux interface now looks like Windows and is just as easy to use, but you can actually get to your hard drive. This all through Graphics User Interfaces which is what Windows is. However, now my "factory-level" PC, Win XP - SP2 runs like a rabbit. Automatic updates are unlikely to be switched on again, even my mouse would not reboot left-handed after hibernation.

That got me interested in things Linux again (previously just mulled over the likelihood of getting a Commodore Amiga-like PC). That led to the Free Software Foundation's website. Here, my thoughts were refreshed on the anti-trust suit against MS in Europe.

We have forgotten that Gates wanted to embed Explorer into Windows with XP. Lately, the DRM issue was raised by Sony's faux pas and then it died down. Seemingly not so. Vista is the new attempt to take control of your computer and thus your freedom. Or so it says on BAD is an acronym for an alternate (Co-Option) policy followed when MS's FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) does not work.

My jury's still out on this, but what concerns me is that you may write code and be sued for copyright infringement without having seen the copy! Where would you with private source code? How would the copyright be proven without it being made public? Is it infringed by being public? Oh yes, then I can compile it and not pay for it! Wonder why Intel and others are then opening their chip architectures? It says here they fear they will lose if they don't.

Just how much does Vista say about the spirit of freedom, freedom of choice and individual independence? It seems the thought police are creeping up on us, never mind the blaring sirens and midnight raids.

Funny thing struck me yesterday. Never could make out what this common complaint about living materialistically meant. The cruelty of murders here in South Africa made me realize that if we cannot adhere to some mental regime of civility and decency that goes for all, we are no better than rats fighting for the next meal. I don't mind paying for another man's good work. Yet, if my freedom is sacrificed for his money, what is the difference?

Collapse -
Vista came with my new PC when purchased in Mar 07.
by Ggush / January 4, 2008 9:29 AM PST

Vista Premium was loaded on my pc when purchased last March. I agree it took a bit of getting used to, however, I now love Vista and XP is ok, but many of the new Vista features have gotten me hooked. I installed the SP1 version and find it has greatly improved many previous problems. I suggest to people new to Vista, just remember to use Admin mode when doing software downloads etc. It seems to solve many of the compatibility issues. People are bashing Vista and saying they are going back to XP, but let me tell you, my home machine is Vista and my work laptop is XP Prof. I still have many problems with the XP machine and how long has XP been out now ? As stated in the CNET newsletter, many times the slowness of Vista are programs people don't even realize they are running in the background, or using Areo.
I use Areo as much as I can as I like the feature, but I've gone and
checked everything that runs at startup and disabled what I don't use very often and it's really improved the performance of the Vista machine. As stated before, SP1 did improve the speed a bit, but did a lot of other fixes that I think had been necessary. People have to get used to change; it's here and it's getting quicker each year. Just think if you were still using the computers from the early years because people didn't want to learn new things and are comfortable with the old. I say let's move onward and upgrade, but fix what may be issues now and in 5 years, we'll most likely be looking back and saying boy was I wrong.

Collapse -
remember ME
by gpgrillo / January 4, 2008 9:49 AM PST

I have used every version of Windows since the start. This OS is a stinker. Whether you are a geek or a newbie, there is nothing at all to recommend it. Bloated, lethargic, not particularly stable and offering so-called security that kills more time in a week than re-installing XP monthly would take. Then there is the lack of drivers that is an additional pain in the fanny. They didn't tell you that systems with only 512k of ram run so badly a class action suit has been launched. Maybe you pay only a few hundred for the computer but then you may have to add a hundred bucks or more worth of memory. This is an operating system who's time is yet to come and I am sticking with XP.

Collapse -
Came with PC -- Should have wiped the drives day 1
by DDT3 / January 4, 2008 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: remember ME

It came with my Quad core PC, I added a top-of-the-line 512MB video card and 4GB RAM and it's a bloated slug.
I have followed every "tip & tweak" I have found and the only benefit to Vista is the "eye candy" of the desktop and sidebar gadgets. Countless hours of reboots, "Vista Compatible" products that don't work many problems it's not funny. How MS could release Office 2007 which is a great improvement on Office and the worst operating system they have ever made in the same year is crazy...but I'm too far into it now, I'll just have to wait for Vista SP2...

I should have taken the advice I got on a forum the day I got it up & running & was having problems and just wiped the hard drives and loaded XP. I bet the machine would fly then, but I would have had to pay $300 more to order the same PC new with XP... so I took the "savings" of Vista.
If you're like me and must spend hours a day on the computer it's WRONG for you. I wanted to change over but I have to keep my 5 year-old XP box running next to this one to handle what Vista can't do! I was going to give it to the kids but bought them a dual core AMD 4000 Dell (sale-$429 With 17" LCD) 1GB "shared" RAM and XP, and it is as fast or faster than this thing.
I was amazed, this PC has a great motherboard (even DDR3 capable) Seagate drives, but Vista just kills it.

PS: It's also an HP who has NO support-ALL India & no "upper level". Their $75 an hour paid "expert" support took control of the machine and I knew I was in trouble when I had to show them where the DVD was-they then crashed the machine requiring a "recovery" and re-installation of all programs and a loss of 2 weeks of data... at least they refunded the $75... DO NOT buy Vista unless you just like "eye candy" or HP unless you are a masochist... great components can be made into a lousy computer.

Collapse -
Back to XP
by egrood / January 4, 2008 9:59 AM PST

I bough aDell with Vista Home Premium and upgraded to Vista Ultimate. After much trouble with sound drivers, the Dell support team got me to reinstall Home Premium. I then found a number of important programs were not compatible with Vista. So I tried to run XP as a virtual machine using Virtual PC 2007. Found I could not do this under Home Premium, but needed Ultimate!!! A also found numerous nuciances, mostly associated with how slow Vista ran. Just one example was the need to wait after booting IE 7 prior to entering text in the search box as I found I was much quicker than the computer could tolerate. Finally, I was able to dual boot XP Pro and have been slowly moving my apps to XP. The all work much faster I have have fewer problems. In the next month I plan to purge Vista from my machine completely.

Collapse -
Upgraded to Vista-No real problems
by stampinmom24 / January 4, 2008 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: Back to XP

I purchased my laptop a little over a year ago and had an express upgrade to Vista Home Premium when it became available. Made the upgrade early February I think and have really had very few problems. There were a couple of software patches I needed and found myself frustrated with one vendor who had no intention of creating patches but instead wanted me to purchase their new version instead (not happening!. Overall I'm very happy with Vista and don't have any intention of going back to XP.

Collapse -
I'd love to switch
by x.killeddestiny.x / January 4, 2008 10:04 AM PST

I've been considering it for a while but heres the thing. Windows XP and Vista are becoming like seperate operating system brands almost its like the difference between Mac's and PC's in the PC world. Well maybe not but heres the thing most things I use are just XP and alot of things being released are either just XP or just Vista compatible. If the whole drive mess and seperation of these two operating systems was delt with I'd be more then happy to shell out a grand for a new laptop and have Vista but I'd love it if Vista we're faster and didn't need so much power to be run. Thats just my look on it all though.

Collapse -
Vista Works Great For Me
by retexan599 / January 4, 2008 10:10 AM PST

I invested in Vista when I bought a whole new system in May 2007. Made sure I had adequate computing power and memory [2 GB RAM] beforehand. Removed the bloatware immediately. No messing about with 'dual boot' systems; keep up with the updates; use Windows firewall and Windows Defender; minimize 3rd party stuff; did not try to shoehorn in old or non-Vista ready programs; later dropped Norton as A/V and use Avast, much less invasive. Also switched to Office Home & Student 2007, love that too. No more problems than with any computer; so far have not needed to do any Restore or Re-Installs.

Collapse -
Built PC Specifically for Vista.
by EscapePod / January 4, 2008 10:12 AM PST

I am extremely satisfied with Vista.

Started with Vista RC1 on an old AMD 1900+ with 512MB RAM and an old, wimpy, 64MB video card. It ran Vista very well, understandably without the fancy stuff.

For the final Vista product (in this case, Ultimate), I built a much more robust PC specifically to take advantage of Vista's features. An Intel E6600, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7950 256MB video card, 10,000 RPM OS/App drive, 2-250GB 7,200 RPM data drives in RAID 1, HiDef tuner, etc. It runs great, and I am extremely satisfied (have built 6 so far, and am working on the 7th -- all for friends and relatives who have experienced my first Vista PC).

Yes, there were a few pains in the beginning -- lack of drivers for SLI, sound, and printers. These have all been resolved satisfactorily for the equipment I have (had to give away one old HP scanner, which I could have saved for my Linux PC). I believe Vista will continue to get better, and hope MS works more closely with equipment vendors to have drivers, hardware, and software ready for impending changes when they are released.

Collapse -
No, and I probably (hopefully) never will
by rbsjrx / January 4, 2008 10:29 AM PST

Using Windows is a business necessity for me, but I'm about 5 yeas from retirement. I've always disliked Windows as an OS (it's slow and bloated with major design flaws in both its underlying architecture and its file systems) and liked Microsoft's business practices even less. There's also the fact that every version of Windows to date has been terrible until at least SP1. So, if possible, I'll stick with WinXP as my last Windows. In the future, there may come a compelling business reason to move one of my PCs to Vista, but I don't see it right now.

Once I retire, I'll be moving to Linux only. I'm already using Linux and would be perfectly content if it were the only OS I had. My wife, OTOH, uses Windows as do my daughter and granddaughter who live with us. So, as the IT department in my house, I'll probably always be required to do Windows maintenance - whatever version of Windows they wind up using. However, their reason for using Windows (killer apps for my wife, business reasons for my daughter and granddaughter) are unlikely to drive them to Vista any time in the foreseeable future.

Collapse -
Yes, I got it when it came out.
by Billnms / January 4, 2008 10:51 AM PST

I got it when I came out and on my new computer. I HATE it. It is pretty and flashy, but s-l-o-w! It isn't compatible with a lot of my existing software and has had to have patches and halfway works with some software I got afterward that was supposed to be compatible with VISTA. Whenever it updates, it seems to foul something else up! Microsoft should have to provide XP to everyone who has this program, which is in my opinion, a BATA version.

Collapse -
I've UPgraded but feel DOWNgraded
by berhun1 / January 4, 2008 10:58 AM PST

When I purchased my new PC, (Vista Home Basic), I quickly found it lacking in what I expected from a new OS. First, not enough RAM, just the bare minimum so that increased the "real" price by about $100. Second, I feel that new PC's should come with a "voucher" to guarantee that Microsoft will "reimburse" users for the pain they suffer while waiting for the first patch by giving the a free upgrade to the next OS. (Only a 5 to 10 year wait huh?

Collapse -
Love It!!
by smann20 / January 4, 2008 11:25 AM PST

I have had it on one computer since Beta2. Now I have it on 3 out of 4 computers. The only one to have XP is my notebook which doesn't have enough HDD space to run Vista and other programs as well. I think it is fantastic!! I have had NONE of the problems people complain about. I think people don't like Vista when they put it on machines that are not really capable of running it properly. They need to keep up with hardware if they want to keep up with software.

Collapse -
Me Too!
by grnlady99 / January 5, 2008 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Love It!!

Been using it since beta testing. I run Ulitmte and I have no complaints. I am more than happy with it's performance. My business applications are Office 2007 and everything works great. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Collapse -
Hate it.
by dave999dave / January 5, 2008 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: Love It!!

I ordered a new laptop back in June that supposedly was screaming fast, at least in terms of hardware. Vista came pre-installed.
1) Websites crash for no reason
2) I've gotten the blue screen of death twice
3) Windows occasionally freezes for no reason
4) The sound likes to turn itself off about once a day. The only way to get sound back is to restart.
5) In a few programs, the video is so distorted I can barely make out what I see.
6) Programs occasionally crash for no reason, even versions specifically designed for Vista.
7) Some windows components, like the device manager, don't work at all.

I never had these problems with my old laptop. It isn't as fast as the new one, usually, but it certainly is more stable, even though it is over 6 years old.

As far as the benefits of Vista, I haven't seen any.

If I had know the problems I would have had, I would have waited until Dell began offering a choice, XP or Vista, and chosen XP. I have had nothing but problems.

Collapse -
Vista - waste of money
by hogan / January 4, 2008 11:29 AM PST

XP works fine, it does what I want it to and there is nothing that I need adding to my pc.

I spend my time dealing with companies who can't understand why their computer upgrade hasn't solved their problems - until a computer thinks, we are stuck with people solving problems and I'll stick to using the pc for playing games and recreation.

Collapse -
Now have 3 PC's running it
by kjdinoc / January 4, 2008 11:42 AM PST

Got it, love it, wouldn't dream of going back. I have two new desktops and a laptop all running without ANY issues.

Collapse -
Got it with my new laptop
by Ed-duh-win / January 4, 2008 11:56 AM PST

And I'm loving every bit of it!

Collapse -
I got it off of MSDN before it was officially released.
by pblanton / January 4, 2008 12:16 PM PST

I am a software developer and target the Microsoft .NET framework. I do not use Vista for my development platform though. Some of my friends do, but I still use XP on a VMWare 6.0 virtual machine for development machine.

I didn't like Vista when it was first released, so I planned on installing Linux on my development machine and still do development on a Windows XP virtual machine. Unfortunately Linux drivers for the new hardware in my new PC weren't available yet, so I installed Vista in order to get to work. My laptop runs Ubuntu Linux and I run the virtual machines on it with the Linux version of VMWare. I copy the XP virtual machines back and forth using a portable USB drive, and run the same image on both machines. One on a Vista host and one on a Ubuntu host. It works great.

The Vista OS on my desktop works ok, but I don't use it for much except email and running my VMWare machines.

My plans are still to do away with Vista on the desktop and run Ubuntu Linux as the host os on both my machines once I have a day to spend doing the Linux install and configuration on the desktop.

I have a friend wo went the way of the Mac and runs his development environment using Parallels. He was my inspiration to use an alternative OS as my host while still being able to use Windows to make a living on. I chose the Linux route rather than Apple, because I am not that impressed with Apple hardware. Apple's OS really shines, but I can't imagine paying so much for their weird hardware when I am not planning on using the OS for anything but email and to host my XP images.

I have dabbled with Linux and am still unimpressed with how difficult it is to install software on and do setup things, but once it is running and I got over the main learning curve, I really like it a lot. I love the idea that Linux can be whatever I need it to be. I can tweak the OS all the way down to the metal and even if I never do, that is really powerful.

Collapse -
How do you like window's vista
by onyourwaydown / January 4, 2008 12:19 PM PST

I was exited to learn that the new os Vista would be loaded onto my new computer.
I feel that I have altered my opinion quite a bit.
Not only is it difficult to navigate through in order to find the programs I'm used to using but if I open more than one program at a time it acts dazed and confused.
The commercials currently running for pc vs mac are funny. The ones regarding ask not what vista can do for you but what you can do for vista are applicable. I never considered it before but if anything could make me change to a mac it would be vista.

Collapse -
Don't relate to Vista problems
by Keith in Albany / January 4, 2008 12:21 PM PST

Vista Home Premium came preinstalled on my new computer and I've had no significant problems with it. This replaces the machine I bought a few months after XP was introduced and I recall there was a lot of grousing about that, too, back then. There's a learning curve for us users and we can certainly expect some upgrades and improvements to be coming from MS. I have removed a lot of bloatware that came with my machine, replaced the "free" Norton (yeech) with AVG, and some other improvements like that. But find the machine running nice and fast and smoothly with Vista.

Collapse -
--Yes, it came with my new computer. (How do I Hate it?)
by RichinTexas / January 4, 2008 12:21 PM PST

My worst operating system experience ever... And I been using computers since my CPM days.

I ended up selling the new laptop with VISTA to my Mother-in-law and taking a $200 loss. I bought a new Dell laptop with XP. She is not a computer person, so I think she will not hate me for it.

Collapse -
by tink2725 / January 4, 2008 12:30 PM PST

I purchased Vista the first day it came out. I had my Windows Xp keep shutting down on me after I just purchased it. It was getting repaired already so I purchased Vista. I must say I do like Vista except for one thing. My older Scanner and my older Printer was not supported for working in Vista. That upsets me to no end as I paid for the top of the line products and to find out there not going to release drivers is just bad PR for Microsoft Vista, and Hewitt Packer who was the maker of my Scanner and my Printer. I'm still upset about this and it's been almost a year now. I did talk to customer service and couldn't help and said they would give me a discounts for new replacement products once available but I never got anything!

If your looking to upgrade to a new computer make sure your current scanner and printers work. If they do then upgrade to Vista, if not then you must think is it worth a new purchase to replace them.

Personally I would still like some satisfaction with Hewitt Packer on my Scanner and Printer collecting dust.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.